Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have conversations like this?

(62 Posts)
MycatsaPirate Sun 14-May-17 20:27:07

DP: Who is that guy? (on TV)
Me: he's that american guy who had that show
DP: Oh yeah. What's his name?
Me: Can't remember but the was in that show where he had phone ins.
DP: yeah, that's right and he had a gay brother?

It was Kelsey Grammer. We both knew who were were talking about and what show we were talking about but I had to bloody google it in the end.

We talk like this all the time. It's that bloke off that advert, the shampoo one! Oh yeah, he was married to her off the telly wasn't he? Yep!

It's like we are both talking in a secret language that only we understand!

Please say it's not just us.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 14-May-17 20:29:51

Nope. We do it all the time - I spend half my time Googling to see what other things people were in (once we've worked out who we were talking about).

DesignedForLife Sun 14-May-17 20:30:47

Yes we do exactly the same.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 14-May-17 20:30:49

Yes of course. This is the only way we speak of "people on TV".

Hoppinggreen Sun 14-May-17 20:30:53

My husband had a habit of starting a conversation in the middle rather than the beginning- the annoying thing is that I usually know exactly what he is one about

jayho Sun 14-May-17 20:31:46

The whole reason I love my friends ' you know, this thing with the bloke with the hair' sorted.

ImperialBlether Sun 14-May-17 20:32:36

I used to go to a book group with about 50/50 men and women. At the end of the night we'd all go into the bookshop and find books we'd like to read the following month - we'd vote on them.

I said, "Oh I read something recently - it was really good."
I was asked what it was called - I couldn't remember.
I was asked what it was about - I couldn't really remember.
I was asked who wrote it - I couldn't remember her name, but I knew I'd remember it if someone said it.
Then I said, "Oh, she's Paul Auster's wife."
"Oh that sounds great - let's read it," said all the women.
confused confused confused said the men.

We read it - everyone loved it. grin

MycatsaPirate Sun 14-May-17 20:33:07

Woolly If Casualty is on and they have a minor sleb with a walk on part DP spends the entire show trying to work out who they are and most importantly, what else they were in.

We get very side tracked and quite often end up missing half the show.

We also talk about things like this.

Where is my wallet?
On the <gestures wildly to another room> wotsit.
Fab. Found it! Thanks!

KurriKurri Sun 14-May-17 20:33:53

My DD and I had a convo like this last night during eurovision.

DD; This songs exactly like that Bullet proof song
Me. Me what song is that
DD < hums vaguely>
me: I thought that was by that firework woman.
DD: Who?
me: you know - married whatsit.

We had to look it up too
Song was Titanium and no it wasn't sung by Katy Perry grin

FadedRed Sun 14-May-17 20:34:53

Yeah, all the time! And also the 'literalism' type conversations, making fun of advertisements IYKWIM. If anyone heard us, they'd be getting in GP In to do the 'Who's the prime minister?' type tests.
We know what we mean though grin

LiveLifeWithPassion Sun 14-May-17 20:35:17

Never. I don't know how dh does it, but he knows everyone's name. Everyone he's ever met or seen.
When I start a conversation like that, he ll look at me like this hmm and say 'that's Kelsey Grammer. You saw him on such and such last week'. That's the end of that conversation.

MycatsaPirate Sun 14-May-17 20:35:28

I'd have got Titanium just from Bullet proof! We sing that in the car badly.

Is it our <whispers> age do you think?

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 14-May-17 20:36:47

Just done it while watching the BAFTAS. Kim Catrell was presenting an award and then shortly afterwards Witness for the Prosecution was nominated. Despite having heard her name ten minutes previously I exclaimed "Oh, that's why whatserface from that one about sex in New York was there".

I'm turning into my mother grin

jayho Sun 14-May-17 20:36:57

Yes. Red, like you know, when we all hated cheese...

MycatsaPirate Sun 14-May-17 20:37:14

Faded We talk in adverts in this house. We say 'what doing?' like Moose several times a day.

Live Your dp is no fun. However, I bet he's amazing at pub quizzes. We sit there umming and aahing and going off at a tangent.

blamethecat Sun 14-May-17 20:37:39

Yup, all the time . We have no idea who anyone is in anything so spend half the programme describing other things they have been in. We also have many conversations about the 'thingy' , it is usually in 'the other room'.

bruffin Sun 14-May-17 20:39:20

Imdb is your friend, especially for minor celebs on casualty

LineysRun Sun 14-May-17 20:41:26

Was Niles gay? I thought he had the hots for Mancunian Whatsername.

KurriKurri Sun 14-May-17 20:45:00

The actor who played Niles is gay - the character was straight.

TheBruteSquad Sun 14-May-17 20:47:50

Hoppinggreen I do that to. I annoy myself with it! The problem is I've started the conversation in my head, then I get to the part where I need to ask DH a question/tell him something, so I say that bit out loud. He always knows what I'm on about too!!

Sometimes we'll be watching something and he'll just turn to me and before he even says anything I'll say "yep it is him" or "she was in House of Cards" (or whatever) or even "you're thinking of the bloke from Homeland, it's not him, but he does look like him". What else the actor's been in is pretty much the only case conversation we have during some programmes!

MycatsaPirate Sun 14-May-17 20:52:56

Neither of us ever watched Frasier. I don't even know how we knew about the main characters brother being played by a gay man. And even though DP got that slightly wrong, I still knew what he meant.

We have been together for five years. Another five and we should be able to communicate by looks alone. Although we've started doing that already. A nudge, a slightly raised eyebrow and he knows what I'm meaning (and no it's not sex).

Lonelynessie Sun 14-May-17 20:55:12

You've never watched Frasier! Completely misses the point!

AliceByTheMoon Sun 14-May-17 20:56:01

I was going to ask that about Niles.

And it's Siri Hustvedt.

AliceByTheMoon Sun 14-May-17 20:57:47

(never read her,mind, but I used to lovePaul Auster).

DH and I have been together 15 years. We will hear something on the news and he will draw in breath about to speak and I will say 'Oh I KNOW!'

MycatsaPirate Sun 14-May-17 20:57:53

Nope. Never watched Frasier. Or Game of Thrones. Or most of the other stuff most people watch. I do read a lot though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now