Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is 8pm too late to mow the lawn?

(156 Posts)
beanbag19 Sun 14-May-17 20:17:57

If I didn't have a child in bed I probably wouldn't care but as I do have a child in bed I feel a bit annoyed that my next door neighbour has decided to mow his lawn at this time.

I'm not going to say anything, unless it becomes a regular thing, but I was just wondering what people's thoughts were?

SunshineDeLaSoul Sun 14-May-17 20:18:29

No I think its OK.

Wishforsnow Sun 14-May-17 20:19:22

Seems fine to do it at this time

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 14-May-17 20:20:05

i think it is a bit late, but how long is he going to take??

Are you in a area with teeny gardens or living next to the Oval?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 14-May-17 20:20:29

I wouldn't do it.

Creatureofthenight Sun 14-May-17 20:20:56

I don't think I'd do it after 7.

beanbag19 Sun 14-May-17 20:21:08

He's been going for 20 minutes now, done the back and now doing the front.

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 20:22:26

A little bit late, especially on a Sunday.

Mind you, it often drives me mad that any warm sunny Sunday you try and spend outside is done to a soundtrack of everyone's mower and strummer!

NorthernLurker Sun 14-May-17 20:23:15

Of course it's not too late. Is your child such a precious flower they can't sleep with any noise around them at all?

'Unless it becomes a regular thing' hmm

I suggest you relax a bit unless you want to fall out with your neighbours

Lottie991 Sun 14-May-17 20:23:33

I wouldn't do it personally, But maybe they are really busy for the rest of the week so decided to get it out the way?

ILoveDolly Sun 14-May-17 20:23:34

It's not a very noisy noise. When I was a child my dad used to mow the lawn when he got home from work and I remember lying in bed listening to the sound of his petrol mower, its quite a restful buzzing sort of noise, I'm sure your dc will be fine

Mum2jenny Sun 14-May-17 20:23:35

I've cut the grass as long as there's been enough light to see it. But I've neighbours who have cut the grass from 4am until near midnight so I don't really care when I cut my grass.

Witchend Sun 14-May-17 20:24:04

I think it's okay. As long as he finishes soon.

WineCheeseSleep Sun 14-May-17 20:26:02

I think it's ok. It might be that it's their only opportunity to do it this week.

QueenofPentacles Sun 14-May-17 20:26:13

I would call the Police immediately.

KarmaNoMore Sun 14-May-17 20:26:20

I never do the garden after 7:30, neither do my neighbours, mowing the grass after 8 on a Sunday sounds to me a tad disconsiderate. We all want peace on Sunday evening!

beanbag19 Sun 14-May-17 20:26:34

There's no need to be like that NorthernLurker!

It started at the same time my DC goes to bed so naturally prompted questions about the noise, prolonging bed time.

He mows his lawn twice a week over the summer so if he decided to do it at this time every time then i could see it getting a bit irritating!

JaneEyre70 Sun 14-May-17 20:27:08

DH is out doing ours but none of our neighbours have young kids. I think I'd tell him to stop if we did, but considering our immediate neighbour is happy to mow his at 7am on a sunday morning or light a bonfire when we have a garden full of guests for a party, I never bother about disturbing them!

WellErrr Sun 14-May-17 20:28:01

I've just got my three under 5s asleep so I'm off out to do mine!

YABU.

OuchBollocks Sun 14-May-17 20:28:51

That would annoy me, that's the time a lot of people sit down and relax before the start of another shitty week, and who can concentrate on the latest Sunday drama with BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

CheeseCrackersAndWine Sun 14-May-17 20:34:11

I understand the annoyance OP! Our neighbour sometimes cuts his at that time and then strims etc after and our youngest's bedroom is close by and she is a terrible & very light sleeper at the best of times. That being said, I don't think it's an unreasonable time to do it and would never say anything. Thankfully doesn't happen often but even if it did, I still wouldn't say anything as I want to keep friendly neighbourly relations. So if I was you, I'd keep quiet.

WankingMonkey Sun 14-May-17 20:42:26

I wouldn't do it that late no. But it seems anything goes with neighbours...they drill at 11pm at night sometimes. Fucking bastards. I am the only housing association home between two bought ones too and both sides take the piss with noisy unnecessary activities late at night, and the dick across the road feels the need to beep his fucking car horn for no reason at all at 10pm at night just before he goes into his fucking house. I originally thought well maybe he doesn't have a key (lives with his mother) or something...but I have seen him now opening the door with his key right after beeping, and the beeping has been consistent for 2 months now too. Even if he had lost his key the first time, normal people knock, not fucking lean their elbow on the horn of their CAR!

NotTHATMelania Sun 14-May-17 20:48:58

We have bylaws which forbid the mowing of lawns and the use of power tools at this time of night!

Where I live you are only allowed to make this kind of noise up to 7 p.m. on a week day and only until midday on a Sunday.

So NO, YANBU IMHO.

Teardropexplodes Sun 14-May-17 20:50:05

My neighbour has a cement mixer, which only seems to work in the hours of darkness.

Why anyone would mix cement in the dark is beyond me, but he does.

In answer to your question - 8pm is about as late as I'd mow the lawn. Hope he's finished soon.

lizzyj4 Sun 14-May-17 20:51:05

I think mowing the lawn is ok any time up to about 9pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now