Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to go to body combat class?

(41 Posts)
Mooey89 Sun 14-May-17 19:19:57

I am 5 stone overweight and very, very unfit.

My friend (same boat) has just joined the gym and suggested we go to body combat.

Would I be mad?!

Knackerelli Sun 14-May-17 19:26:20

I love body combat! You could go and take out the jumps, so you still get a cardio workout from the arms and stepping? Hope that if you do go you enjoy it!

LovelyBath77 Sun 14-May-17 19:27:03

I like body balance, not tried that one though

happymum73 Sun 14-May-17 19:27:49

It is very full on and hard work. I think if I were you I would start in the gym on machines there, or walking outside. I love combat though.

Wibblywobblyfoo Sun 14-May-17 19:28:13

I love body combat. Balance and coordination along with cardio. Give it a go!!

LockedOutOfMN Sun 14-May-17 19:28:32

Yes, go for it! Make sure you stretch well at the start and again to cool down at the end. It's great that you have a friend to go with too as you can encourage each other. I hope you enjoy it, OP.

Dulcimena Sun 14-May-17 19:28:38

Do it. Work at your own level and slow down as/when you need to. I always come out of those classes with a massive grin on my face. It's fun.

xapril87x Sun 14-May-17 19:29:01

I love body combat. There are always steps you can take out to make it easier. The instructor will see you right!

TalkinPeece Sun 14-May-17 19:30:55

Go for it
but be willing to go with the lower options so you can walk the day after
Combat is addictive
as is Pump
as is Balance

Les Mills have the right formula - their classes are fab
for those just thinking about exercise
right through to super fit gym bunnies

BuzzKillington Sun 14-May-17 19:30:59

There are a few fat women that go to combat at my gym - they seem to cope just fine.

Mooey89 Sun 14-May-17 19:36:50

I think I might go for it...

Aeroflotgirl Sun 14-May-17 19:39:04

Are you joking, of course you can. I go to kickboxing at a dojo, and I see a lady who is about 20 stone doing it with the best of them. I am nearly 12 stone, and go kickboxing too, there are quite a few overweight people there, its not just the preserve of the skinny minnies. They make you feel so welcome. Go for it!

Ethylred Sun 14-May-17 19:49:37

What is body combat, I can't even wait to google it?

Ethylred Sun 14-May-17 19:51:09

Now I've googled it and still haven't a clue.

So exciting, somebody please explain.

Mooey89 Sun 14-May-17 19:51:59

I THINk it's something to do with martial arts.

Would you like to come with us ethyl? grin

TalkinPeece Sun 14-May-17 19:53:57

Les Mills release a "sizzler" for each class ....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXm_ArkHVLg

problembottom Sun 14-May-17 19:55:30

Been there, done that! You'll find it hard (expect to get very sweaty and probably feel sick when you start going) but take breaks where you need and the instructor usually offers low impact alternatives to some harder movements. Great for losing weight.

Ethylred Sun 14-May-17 19:56:06

Yes please Mooey but you'll have lots of explaining to do. Does it happen in a gym? I'd rather it didn't, maybe we could go to Aeroflotgirl's dojo. Which is a Japanese restaurant I think.

Allthewaves Sun 14-May-17 19:56:23

I love them. Was I was very over weight and unfit I'd be at the back of the class. Do it at your level and pace. The first couple u will ache from head to toe but then u get into the swing. Iv never had such good upper body and back toning until didn't his class

ShoutOutToMyEx Sun 14-May-17 19:57:20

Go for it! You will love it, its great fun. The instructor can always help you modify moves if needs be - if you're moving you're working!

realwoodlogs Sun 14-May-17 20:01:30

I'm fat and love combat. I took it up when i was very unfit. You quickly build up to cope with the classes.

Do it!

RedheadLover Sun 14-May-17 20:04:09

I love Body Combat! It is a hard work out but the instructors at my gym always say that you don't have to start by doing the full hour - you can start by doing half of the session, then each week add a track on.

SparklyLeprechaun Sun 14-May-17 20:06:51

It's hard work, op, personally I'd say do a couple of weeks in the gym first to get used to exercising. Not that you can't do it if you're unfit, you can, but you get more out of it if you are fitter. Weight isn't that important.

Mooey89 Sun 14-May-17 20:15:29

Would body pump be more achievable?

NigelMolesworth Sun 14-May-17 20:17:30

I do Body Attack and it's great. People of all shapes, sizes, ages and fitness levels. Lots of different levels to work at. You can challenge yourself but if you're running out of steam you can always reduce the intensity and that's fine. We all always come out smiling!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now