Talk

Advanced search

To think that there are some really lovely people out there.

(14 Posts)
hellokittymania Sun 14-May-17 17:53:19

London get such a bad rap sometimes for being a cold, and unfriendly city, but today, the traffic light where I live all stopped working and I live on a very busy road and I am visually impaired. People went out of their way to take me to get my shopping, bring me home safely and try and find a new route that I could walk along since nobody had any idea how long the lights would be out for. Somebody also offered to call the council since I have no working phone. People can be so lovely, I'm glad I come across them.

user93483098350593850000 Sun 14-May-17 18:12:47

When I lived in London, there were so many nice people. Never found it cold and unfriendly which is what I'd been led to expect when I moved there.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 14-May-17 18:15:14

I genuinely believe that MOST people are good people.

BackforGood Sun 14-May-17 18:23:36

I agree with ShowMe - vast majority of people are lovely, but because that is "normal" then it isn't "news".

hellokittymania Sun 14-May-17 18:40:21

I have met both good and bad but usually I find that even if something really bad happens, something nice will happen straight after to cancel it out. smile So many people have said to me though that I must be lonely in London and neighbors never say hi etc. Thankfully I live in a building where nearly everyone knows each other and if we do need something, we help each other.

derxa Sun 14-May-17 18:52:59

I think that people on the Tube etc have bitchy resting faces and it's impossible to have the energy to interact when you're in a rush.

Davros Sun 14-May-17 23:31:20

I agree. It makes me laugh when everyone is bobbing up and down on a bus to give other people a seat. My DH has got Parkinsons and, although he isn't very obviously disabled, he has trouble keeping his balance and standing in crowds, he is nearly always offered a seat on the tube

Boynamedsue Sun 14-May-17 23:47:39

I always think that the vast majority of people are honest, decent and kind. There are a fair few dickheads around of course but I genuinely believe they're in the minority.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 14-May-17 23:48:25

There are a few nice people definitely but they are the exception rather than the rule ime

KC225 Mon 15-May-17 02:07:07

I miss London so much. I have move to rural Scandinavia. I lived on a dodgy estate but I knew all my neighbours and my postman's name. I still visit when I go back. I agree, there were the knuckle daggers too but on the whole the good outweighed the bad.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 15-May-17 02:29:05

I agree with you.

I also found the majority of people in London to be lovely. (Although it is over 10 years since I lived there).

People are generally good. The exceptions are just more noticeable.

Plunkette Mon 15-May-17 02:34:45

Hellokitty I'm so glad you met lovely people today!

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 15-May-17 05:01:24

It's been a decade but London was lovely when I lived there. Trying to get DD around when she was a tiny baby, always someone offering to help us.

Argeles Tue 16-May-17 03:00:25

I'm a born & bred Londoner, and love my city, and have lived in 4 different areas so far (S.E, Central, West & North). The people in the area of the S.E that I lived in were friendly and there was a sense of community spirit. Unfortunately though, in the other areas I've lived in, I haven't had this experience.

I'm currently living in West London & whilst the area looks pleasant, the people aren't & it makes me feel so isolated & depressed. My dh thinks SE is too far away from his workplace etc & won't consider moving, otherwise I'd move back in a heartbeat.

It was lovely to hear of your positive stories, I wish I could have shared more of the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now