Talk

Advanced search

Argument with ATS over tyres

(19 Posts)
Rattysparklebum Sun 14-May-17 17:09:20

I had a slow puncture so took my car into into ATS and asked them to check it, I was called in to the workshop and told the puncture couldn't be repaired and my other 3 tyres needed replacing due to splits- these were small hairline cracks all over the tyre. They replaced the puncture and I booked it in for the following week to have the 3 other tyres replaced as they needed to order them in.

When I told my husband later that all my tyres needed replacing he checked them and said they were fine, I then took it to my local mechanic who also said tyres are perfectly legal, some wear, probably do another 6-12 months on them.

I complained to ATS customer services who told me to take it back to ATS so the manager could have a look, he inspected tyres and was adamant that for safety reasons they would advise changing any worn tyres but admitted the tread was fine all over so tyres are technically ok.

Am I being unreasonable to argue that they should advise me that tyres are legal but would benefit from being changed for safety reasons rather than just being told I need all new tyres and me thinking they need replacing immediately?

RedBugMug Sun 14-May-17 17:14:06

yanbu
however you should always get a pair replaced, as otherwise it can affect steering and breaking.

Blodplod Sun 14-May-17 17:25:54

RedBugMug, are you a mechanic? I'm just wondering what qualifies you to make a statement like that regards changing a pair? 1 tyre on a car can be worn, it doesn't mean you have to replace the other if it's perfectly legal with enough tread. Both tyres may not wear evenly due to geometry (tracking). But if both tyres are legal with tread (1 new and 1 old) this does not effect braking or steering. I work in a garage and we change tyres daily, admittedly I'm not a mechanic but I've never heard this be advised. Obviously, if the tracking is fine and there's no other external elements to affect tyre wear and tear them both fronts or rears should wear out at roughly the same time and therefore changes at the same time, but sometimes a tyre will have enough legal thread but be split to the cords and need replacing, this does not effect the other tyre.

Rattysparklebum Sun 14-May-17 17:36:24

I just feel they are misleading people if they are telling them they need new tyres without actually saying this is in their opinion safer rather than because tyres legaaly are unsafe.

Rattysparklebum Sun 14-May-17 17:36:59

Legally 😡

HighwayDragon1 Sun 14-May-17 17:41:06

Probably because you're a woman! Seriously I've had things like this happen DP has taken it in a second time and they've told him a vastly reduced price.

c3pu Sun 14-May-17 17:43:49

blodplod

It's not essential to change tyres in pairs, but it's best practice.

Regarding the OP, ATS are perfectly reasonable to advise that your worn tyres need replacing. It's up to you as the car owner to consider the information and use your judgement. Anyone who drives should be car savvy enough to know how much tread is left on their tyres and how long it will last depending on how many miles they do.

ExplodedCloud Sun 14-May-17 17:48:00

I agree with best practice to change in pairs too.

Wando1986 Sun 14-May-17 17:49:39

If the splits were on the side then no, yabu - they should be replaced. It only takes one incorrectly pressurised tyre with them and you could have a blow-out on the motorway. The tread does not matter a jot in that instance. For reference, how old are the tyres/how many miles ago were they replaced? It might seem like they were sidearming you because you're a female, but this is because when it's a bloke they cant be arsed arguing with them. It works both ways. They will also be on commission/branch targets so would normally push it either way.

Wando1986 Sun 14-May-17 17:51:34

Oh and if your tyres were legally unsafe or soon to be, that is highlighted on your MOT, Op. So you should know where you stand every 12 months. Do you deal with your car/mechanics much yourself?

rararaa Sun 14-May-17 17:57:48

Don't quote me on this, but I think the only "legal " part of tyres is the tread.

Cracks however, can cause a blow out which if you do any motorway driving is very dangerous.

The mechanic was erring to side of caution. Your second opinion said they were very worn and would maybe last 6-12 months, unless you do a lot of driving 6-12 months isn't that long really. I don't think he proved your point at all.

Personally, as tyres are the only thing between me and the road at 70mph, id go with caution and replace the tyres.

Rattysparklebum Sun 14-May-17 18:24:21

The splits imo are tiny cracks you get when you bend a piece of rubber or plastic, I googled split tyres and mine are definitely not like the ones shown on google.
I only had my MOT in February so I was a bit surprised that it hadn't been mentioned then, I have no problem replacing the tyres if they need doing but I really think ATS are in the wrong.

Greyhound81 Sun 14-May-17 18:57:31

They're having you on. They saw a woman and rubbed their hands together. I now go to a local tyre place I trust having been done before at KwikFit.

My local garage told me a story of them scaring one of her customers to death so she put four new tyres on her car at about £200 a tyre. She had only serviced the car the week before and the tyres were fine. It was her husband's car that was his pride and joy and she wanted to keep it after he died. They told her it needed all sorts doing. It didn't.

My MIL was recently told her tyres on her Merc needed doing - so she asked how much was left on them - they told her begrudgingly and she knew very well that that was plenty to last ages. She made a complaint to the manager and they're now trying to back pedal.

Notthecarwashagain Sun 14-May-17 19:11:22

KwikFit did that to me once. It was about 6 years ago, and I'm still irritated about it now-I'd only gone in to have my aircon regassed, and came out with 4 new tyres.

YANBU.

Blodplod Sun 14-May-17 21:05:37

Best practice according to who? Where does this say it's best practice? Main dealers? Tyre sellers maybe? Think about it..

JigglyTuff Sun 14-May-17 21:12:14

They're trying to scare you. My car has just been MOTed (by my highly trusted mechanic) and 3 of my tyres need replacing before winter. So that's what I'll do. I have no doubt that if I'd take it to a tyre place, they'd tell me they all need replacing ASAP.

Blodplod Sun 14-May-17 21:17:04

I think the best question you can ask OP, is will it pass an Mot? An Mot is a legal advised regulatory road safety test. If tyres fail this they need changing, if they don't then it's up to you.. too many shisters out there willing to sell you tyres you don't need. Let's say you're a mum trundling through school runs and Waitrose on cheap but roadworthy tyre's for £50 a tyre on a fiesta.. they'l run forever and cope with the work.. but if you're running a Porsche Cayenne and travelling miles over rough ground you may need to change a bit more.. not trying to be trite, but companies like ATS are in the business of selling tyres.. they'll sell you tyres whether you need them or not.. just because they can and because of exactly the reaction on this thread..

Blodplod Sun 14-May-17 21:21:16

Meaning we all agree that tyre places try to sell you tyres you don't need. By reaction on this thread BTW

sharklovers Mon 15-May-17 12:27:26

Mismatched tread patterns/depths across an axle can certainly affect braking and handling especially in the wet, this is why it's best practice to replace in pairs. When tyres age they quite often suffer from small cracks and this is a sign that they should be replaced although they will most likely pass an MOT. It should be remembered though that the MOT is the absolute bare minimum standard. OP should also check the sidewalls for the manufacturing date, this will be 4 numbers stamped in an oval box which will be something like 2516. This means week 25 of 2016. Usual advice is to replace at 5-8 years regardless of tread depth remaining. Personally I would not keep a tyre that is older than 5 years. I would also suggest avoiding budget tyres as these perform demonstrably worse than mid-range or premium tyres. Always buy the best you can afford, it may be the difference between life and death for someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now