Talk

Advanced search

To ask the school to put my 5 year old in a pullup for a school trip?

(42 Posts)
JennyjENjENJenny Sun 14-May-17 15:11:24

She's In reception and gets very easily distracted, right now she has a uti so her need is more urgent than normal, when we go on trips and things we use pull-ups as a safety net.

AIBU to ask the school to do the same?
She can put a dry on on herself so teachers will not have to do anything extra, it's extremely unlikely she will poop.

Mehfruittea Sun 14-May-17 15:15:16

ARe you sure she really needs it? Just at that age other kids will be able to tell she is wearing one and she may get self conscious. I know it's worse if she wets herself so a really tough choice. Are the accidents epic? Or could she get away with a small tenna lady in her pants?

missymayhemsmum Sun 14-May-17 15:15:41

Why not just send her in to school in one (and dry pants in her bag) that day if you are worried? And tell the teacher about her UTI and that she needs to go more often than the average 5 year old at the moment.

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Sun 14-May-17 15:15:57

I don't think it would do any harm to ask her teacher! Better than her sitting in damp knicks all afternoon with a UTI.

missymayhemsmum Sun 14-May-17 15:17:02

And choose clothing so its not obvious.

AlmostAJillSandwich Sun 14-May-17 15:17:04

Can't you just send her in wearing one, or do you mean she might need it changing during the day?
Is she likely to just wee in the pullup than go to the loo and be at risk of leaking if she needs to go more than once while she's gone, otherwise why would the teachers need to know she's wearing them?

JennyjENjENJenny Sun 14-May-17 15:20:36

She can change herself if she has an accident but will need reminding almost both to go to the toilet and to change if she is wet. her accidents are floods rather than drips Mehfruittea

Doowappydoo Sun 14-May-17 15:21:42

I'd speak to her teacher first and explain about the uti. With most school trips they tend to have very regular toilet stops and with little ones they make them all go. Could you just make sure she has a spare pair or you pants and trousers?

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 14-May-17 15:34:08

At this age, it was a requirement at dds school to include spare change of undies and bottoms. If she can wear a Tena lady, that would be best.

Bluetrews25 Sun 14-May-17 15:37:36

Does she have a UTI because she is wiping bum waste down over foof area, rather than up her back, so to speak? Sorry if TMI - might help prevent future problems if you discuss?
<misses point>

CaulkheadNorth Sun 14-May-17 15:40:01

I've done lots of trips with reception. There are many many many toilet trips for the whole class.

JennyjENjENJenny Sun 14-May-17 15:40:33

To be honest I'm not sure how she is wiping blue, i will check.

TheGentleMoose Sun 14-May-17 15:40:41

I don't think I would be sending a five year old with a UTI on a school trip to be honest.

I wouldn't have such a problem with a normal school trip but wouldn't want her trailing around tourist attractions [or whatever] and walking all day. Then there's the added complication of a member of staff having to take her to the toilet more frequently and leave other children - it could really mess up staff children ratios, unless the staff dragged all the children to the loos more frequently.

I'd be keeping her home.

Carbon Sun 14-May-17 15:46:53

I agree with TheGentleMoose. I wouldn't want to go out on a day trip with a UTI!

NotYoda Sun 14-May-17 15:51:38

I was going to say the same as GentleMoose

I don't know how it feels for a child to have a UTI but I know how I feel when I have one

mando12345 Sun 14-May-17 15:51:54

Agree with the above two posters don't send her to school with a Uti. Anyway doesn't she need to take antibiotics?

JennyjENjENJenny Sun 14-May-17 15:53:07

one lot of antibiotics after breakfast.

Looks like keeping her off will be the best idea.

SparklyUnicornPoo Sun 14-May-17 15:59:46

I have girls at work who get frequent UTI's. I'd say a pull up is fine, if she can change it herself and knows to put it in the bin, and if she feels up to all the walking around on a school trip, but talk to her teacher so they know to remind her to change it.

Alexandra87 Sun 14-May-17 16:01:02

Teachers would probably be fine but I'd be worried about other kids finding out and making fun of her

OlennasWimple Sun 14-May-17 16:03:17

May not be possible for many reasons, but could you or DP go on the trip as well as a parent volunteer to help remind DD that she needs to go frequently?

JennyjENjENJenny Sun 14-May-17 16:26:09

The thing is she's not unwell, she's pretty happy in herself with no temperature or anything.
OlennasWimple I might ask if one of us can go as volunteers good idea.
I'm also a bit put off as i don't know how discreet it will all be, it'll be mortifying if the other children notice.

CaulkheadNorth Sun 14-May-17 16:28:41

When is the trip?

TheFifthKey Sun 14-May-17 16:30:52

You can get pads like sanitary towels you can put in kids' pants for things like this - I'd use them over a pull up. It would be very embarrassing for her if other kids spotted - I know there's no way in earth my 5yo would agree to wear one on a school trip.

JennyjENjENJenny Sun 14-May-17 16:34:10

23rd

CaulkheadNorth Sun 14-May-17 16:35:38

That's over a week away. Surely she would be over a UTI by then?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now