Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you wash your 'bits'

(192 Posts)
NotTheBelleoftheBall Sun 14-May-17 11:38:05

I'm not using the word 'bits' as some vague twee-ery to describe my vulva, I mean, everything under your knickers.

But I've got to 38 years old and suddenly wonder if the way I do it is the established norm (spurred on by recently hearing about douches and various online comments about how soap should never do much as touch your undercarriage).

For me: I always shower (bath about one a year), wet whole area (externally) wash external area with mild soap (including mons pubis, groins and bum crack), then using hand held part of shower rinse including rinsing inside a bit (vulva not vagina). So although I don't actively soap my vulva I use mildly soapy water to cleanse it. Then rinse well.

So far it's worked for me, my 'bits' are not prone to infection, but am I doing it all wrong? Should I be avoiding any water/vulva contact at all?

Ginfiend Sun 14-May-17 11:40:36

Really?

ShowOfHands Sun 14-May-17 11:41:46

With dettol and a brillo pad.

HTH

Reow Sun 14-May-17 11:42:02

hmm

Bejazzled Sun 14-May-17 11:42:05

You are 38 with no health/cleanliness issues yet need to ask if you are washing properly?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sun 14-May-17 11:42:14

Forgive me, I lose the will to live with these threads. If you wouldn't aske the person in the supermarket queue this sort of question then you can guarantee it is plain bizarre to ask a shed load of people you've never met to type how they wash their minge.

There are some odd people on the internet with sexual fetishes - and you look like an advert from Craiglist.

LegoCaltrops Sun 14-May-17 11:42:38

If it works for you & you've not had any problems, carry on as you are.

Pinkheart5917 Sun 14-May-17 11:43:19

Just water generally with a shower I don't often get in the bath

I use to use mild soap but A few years back I had thrush constantly for months and the women's health doctor I saw told me to only use water and Never any soap (and cut down on sugar) haven't had thrush since 😃

SaucyJack Sun 14-May-17 11:43:34

I squirt around the rim with a bit of toilet duck.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sun 14-May-17 11:43:53

Totes really! I just had a shower (late as it was my lie in) and came out wondering.

In much the same way as people have queried:

Douches
How often you wash your towels
How often you wash your hair
How often you change your bedsheets

On here a bazillion times - it's just another place to wash, and something no one ever talks to you about after the age of six when you're allowed to shower independently.

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 11:43:55

Perv.

GladstoneBangers Sun 14-May-17 11:45:12

Bleach and disposable gloves. Seriously OP, a bit of soap and water is fine.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 14-May-17 11:46:04

The bits that don't go in the dishwasher (wine glasses, knives and pans with plastic handles, anything that won't get clean in dw) get a good scrub in the sink with lemon Fairy and a nice orange washing up brush.

rightwhine Sun 14-May-17 11:46:36

I do the same as you op. No thrush etc.

FannyWisdom Sun 14-May-17 11:46:49

Yard brush and swarfega.

I'm very delicate 'down there' see.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sun 14-May-17 11:47:36

It was the soap/no soap thing I was querying really.

And if it were a Craigslist post I'd be advertising for someone to do it for me (in return for accommodation but No Strings Attached).

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 11:47:42

I do a handstand in the shower.

LemonTartsForever Sun 14-May-17 11:47:46

I do a handstand in the shower.

SumThucker Sun 14-May-17 11:48:32

The handstand sounds interesting...

CaoNiMartacus Sun 14-May-17 11:49:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Astro55 Sun 14-May-17 11:50:53

I squirt around the rim with a bit of toilet duck. LOL

styledilemma Sun 14-May-17 11:51:52

Isn't there something you need to be doing in your garden shed? Instead of hanging around MN asking pervy questions.

SherlockHolmes Sun 14-May-17 11:52:14

Sorry everyone's taking the piss OP, I've often wondered the same thing. I do what you do, but minus the soap.

I've never used soap so don't know if it would be an irritant. Bubble bath hasn't seemed to affect me though, so maybe it would be ok.

SherlockHolmes Sun 14-May-17 11:53:02

Posted too soon. Was going to add, how do people wash their bits if they have a fixed shower head?

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sun 14-May-17 11:54:29

Thanks sherlock I imagine everyone's on high alert for the hairy toed guys at the moment (and it's not even the school holidays) - bubble bath is a definite no no for me, I'm also slightly suspicious of shower gel (too difficult to rinse) you know where you are with soap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now