Talk

Advanced search

To paint a room without asking my landlord?

(16 Posts)
AlwaysTheWinner Sun 14-May-17 10:36:57

I've lived in my rented flat for six years and now some of the decor is looking a bit grubby. The hallway is especially bad.
My landlords have been good with essential maintenance and also got the windows repainted a while back. I asked if the hall could be done at the same time but it wasn't as the landlords didn't think it was necessary (they hadn't seen it, were going on what the agents said). So I'm thinking about just going ahead and giving it a coat of paint. I'd be painting it the same colour as it is just now (the dreaded magnolia!) just to freshen it up.
My only concern is that I might make a mess of it as I've never painted a wall before. Maybe I will ask my Mum to do it!
Anyway, AIBU? If you're a landlord, would you be bothered about this? Would you even notice?

FauxFox Sun 14-May-17 10:40:33

I would - as long as you are not painting it a different colour and don't make a huge mess it's fine. Get frog tape to mask off the edges - it's amazing.

ThanksForAllTheFish Sun 14-May-17 10:41:00

If it was just a freshen up of the same colour then I would. You asked them to do it and they said no. You are making the flat look better at your own expense rather than them paying out for the paint.

If you wanted a different colour or something drastic then I would say no and you would need to ask first. I can't see why any landlord would have an issue with a fresh coat of magnolia on the walls. So long as you do a good job and don't get it all over the carpet/ light switches etc.

BrickInTheWall Sun 14-May-17 10:42:15

If you've never painted a wall before then yes I would be bothered. My last tenants decided to freshen up the decor in the living room, it was a light biscuity colour and they painted it sky blue. It was splattered on the ceiling, all along the skirting boards and drips along the floor near the wall.
So not only had to repaint the wall when they left but the ceiling and skirting instead. angry
Just ask if they mind you doing it or asking if you organise someone to do it will they pay.

BrickInTheWall Sun 14-May-17 10:43:03

^^that should say as well not instead.

Frillyhorseyknickers Sun 14-May-17 10:43:15

Painting inside is usually a tenants responsibility if you're on an AST. I wouldn't have an issue with you painting it the existing colour, it's written into all of our contracts that tenants ask before they paint as someone once painted a cottage kitchen postbox red and it was awful.

requestingsunshine Sun 14-May-17 10:47:59

If it's the same colour I'd go ahead. Painting a wall isn't too hard just make sure you put a dust sheet on the floor and don't use gloss! grin grin if you think you might not be able to do it, definitely ask you mum or s friend to help

elevenclips Sun 14-May-17 10:49:24

If you've never painted a wall before, get someone who has to help you. Plus make sure you use a good quality paint and don't over edges of light switches and plug sockets etc.

I'm not a landlord but I think I would be cross if you did it to a lower standard than the standard to which it is currently done.

Other than that, have you tried cleaning the wall to see if it can be improved that way?

AlwaysTheWinner Sun 14-May-17 10:54:39

Thanks everyone. I think I could do it OK, I have painted plenty furniture so it's just a bigger area! But perhaps I will ask the landlords again just to be on the safe side as it would be less hassle if they got someone in to do it.

AlwaysTheWinner Sun 14-May-17 10:57:00

I did clean the wall, it looks a wee bit better but there are still some marks on it.

alittlequinnie Sun 14-May-17 11:02:20

I'm a landlord and when my last tenant left I spent literally days in the flat just scraping her splashed paint off everywhere. Like the previous poster said she got it on the floor, on the tiles, on the skirting, on the worktops, on the kitchen cupboards and on the open sheves and every single lightswitch and plug socket. It took an age to do and she lost her deposit (and then some) because she was shit a painting. If you can paint to the standard that it was done and don't get any paint anywhere the landlord won't even know but if you are as crap as my tenant was.... kiss your deposit goodbye.

I had another tennat however who painted one of my magnolia walls bright red - when I went there to repair something else I thought "oh my gosh that is going to take some painting over" but when he left he he had painted it over, beautifully in magnolia and I didn't have to do anything to it. No marks, no mess - full deposit returned.

Could you pay somebody to paint it for you if you are not sure?

rightwhine Sun 14-May-17 11:10:54

I would prefer you to ask me. I wouldn't have a problem with it but I would if you did it without asking and didn't do a good job.

RandomMess Sun 14-May-17 11:12:21

Have you tried cleaning it with those magic eraser blocks? They are great.

alternatively if you plan on staying there a few more years I would write to your Landlord and say the walls are understandably looking tired after 6 years normal wear and tear and you would like it decorated as you wish to stay. Would he consider going halves on the cost, or could you contribute £x to the cost of him getting it done?

I would check your contract carefully as to what his obligations are versus yours in this area. Most walls need to be freshened up after 6 years so you are not being unreasonable to request him to do it!

eggsandwich Sun 14-May-17 11:14:25

As a landlord I would be ok with it especially as your keeping it the same colour though I would just let your give your landlord a curtesy call to tell him, you never know he/she may give or pay for the paint I have in the past.

innagazing Sun 14-May-17 11:15:43

Painting inside is usually a tenants responsibility if you're on an AST. *
No, it;s not! It really isn't.

Discuss with your landlord with a view to getting his/her agreement, and mybe coming to see it for themselves. It's not unusual for it to need repainting after 6 years, so your request is reasonable.

ThouShallNotPass Sun 14-May-17 11:22:37

Just give them a heads up that you're reprinting it (same colour)
Internal decoration was always the tenant's responsibility in the contracts I've had. The LL painted it before move in but it was up to me to keep it nice or refresh it if needed. Colour change needed permission.

No matter what, you need to keep your LL informed. My LL once had a tenant (next door) paint the original stained wood skirting and beautiful ledge and brace old cottage doors (the type with oversized black metal hinges and a metal latch handle) with nasty white gloss in the farm cottage I managed. Completely ruined the original features. Thank god they didn't get round to painting the wood beams across the ceilings!!! It was a bloody crime I tell ya!

Mind you, these same people who were the absolute definition of the word chav would walk out on to the lovely farm estate and drop litter everywhere. I watched one eating a tub of coleslaw and they just chucked it half eaten onto the gorgeous old cobbled courtyard that everyone's doors opened on to. The older boys would empty their cars of rubbish straight onto the pretty gravel driveway. The manicured lawns maintained by the main farm house would have Big Mac boxes flying around them. They finally got the boot when the eldest son stole a neighbour's jeep and tore up the lawns upon making his escape with his mates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now