Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody ever paid for a private health scan

(20 Posts)
TaggieRR Sat 13-May-17 22:14:48

When they don't have any real symptoms? I've had an occasional dull ache/pain in my breast or armpit and occasionally gone completely blank when trying to think of a word. Am scared I have cancer and won't live to see my kids grow up and wondering about paying for a BUPA health assessment to put my mind at rest. Does this sound stupid?

TheGentleMoose Sat 13-May-17 22:24:32

@TaggieRR No it does not sound stupid. Have you had it investigated before though as the private insurer may not cover it.

You sound worried. Have you spoken to anyone about it?

TheGentleMoose Sat 13-May-17 22:25:18

<Sorry for asking a similar question twice- I am half asleep but didn't want to read and not reply>

NavyandWhite Sat 13-May-17 22:26:39

Do you have health anxiety OP?

LIZS Sat 13-May-17 22:29:01

Had a screening through dh work private healthcare about 10 years ago. Didn't really feel worthwhile or tell me anything I didn't know.

DorisMcSweeney Sat 13-May-17 22:30:54

What does your GP say?

TaggieRR Sat 13-May-17 22:31:43

Thank you for replying. I don't know, I have never had health anxiety before. I just have this thought in my head that I can't forget about. No I haven't discussed it with anybody else. And no I haven't been to doctor as in all honestly I couldnt say I have any real symptoms.

TaggieRR Sat 13-May-17 22:32:52

What sort of things did they do/test for during your screening LIZS?

TheGentleMoose Sat 13-May-17 22:34:53

I realise now you said scan, not Private Health (as in insurance).

What type of scan are you thinking; I do not recommend the body scans being sold on the high streets around London at the moment.

I also think it would be best to speak to your GP first too. Mine has been super with my breast cancer fear and I get checked regularly- there has never been an issue with me asking for an additional check earlier than the guidelines suggest.

With regards to words - I think it's natural and everyone does this. That's not to be dismissive at all, if it's something that you are worried about I would also raise it. It's horrible to sit there silently worrying about things, and then you have the further worry of whether you sitting there silently is going to contribute to your death when you could be getting it sorted [at least that's what I tend to do]

TheGentleMoose Sat 13-May-17 22:36:02

@TaggieRR I would go and mention the pain, ask for an examination for assurance and use it as a chance to make sure you know how to check your own breasts with the up-to-date methods - no doctor worth their weight would have any issue with doing that.

Shopkinsdoll Sat 13-May-17 22:37:45

I paid a few years ago. I hadn't had a smear test in about 8 years((stupid I know.) So was getting scared I had cancer, my sis in law had just passed away from cancer very young. I used all my birthday money, around 300 to go to bupa in Edinburgh for a private health check. They tested everything, blood tests, smear, breasts. Got the results in a matter of days. Everything fine. Was really pricey, but put my mind at ease.

LIZS Sat 13-May-17 22:37:50

Basics like blood pressure, tests, weight, diet then there were add ons ie. Mammogram. I had a report summarising the results afterwards. Funnily there were no signs of the asthma diagnosed a few years later by nhs.

TaggieRR Sat 13-May-17 22:37:58

Thank you, I had wondered about booking an appointment in that way as I don't think I know how to check my breasts properly.

TheGentleMoose Sat 13-May-17 22:39:47

@TaggieRR - That's the perfect way to book an appointment to me - Doctors absolutely love empowering people to look out for their own health and no one would have any issue with talking you through it all and reassuring you that you can do it correctly as well as examining you.

TaggieRR Sat 13-May-17 22:39:58

Shopkinsdoll- that sounds exactly what I was thinking about booking. I'm sorry about your sister in law but glad everything was fine for you.

Lupinhere37 Sat 13-May-17 23:09:23

Just go and see your GP; it's perfectly reasonable with these symptoms. I have had these same symptoms you describe for years, on and off. I have used private health insurance to go for an ultrasound of my breast and armpit area several times and no cause has ever been found. If the GP has cause for concern, they will refer you urgently (2week wait) to a breast clinic on the NHS anyway.
I have health anxiety and these symptoms get worse when I'm anxious. The aching is definitely cyclical too and the breast surgeon told me this is not uncommon.
Please just see your GP; you will be examined and referred if there is cause for concern or your mind will be put at rest if the GP is happy.
I also think it's not unusual to worry about getting ill when you have children. I've worried incessantly about this over the years.
Mind occasionally going blank and not finding a word also sounds quite normal to me; happens to me constantly!
A consultation with a breast surgeon re your armpit and breast pain will be approx £400 to include an ultrasound scan. Mammogram would cost more again but that may not even be needed....I've never had one.
I used to work in private health care; with what you're describing, you're better off using your GP as a starting point or you could end up with costs running away with you if you self pay in the private sector.

Blimey01 Sat 13-May-17 23:14:40

No need to pay Op. I went to Gp with similar symptoms and had a breast scan arranged within 2 weeks. X

junebirthdaygirl Sun 14-May-17 00:19:37

How old are you? Both are symptoms of the menopause if you in that age bracket.

Enidblyton1 Sun 14-May-17 00:29:59

Definitely go to your GP first.
I have exactly the same symptoms as you describe and went to the GP a few weeks ago. She examined me and said she was certain it was muscular pain.

TaggieRR Sun 14-May-17 08:23:00

I'm not yet 40, so early for menopause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now