Talk

Advanced search

To be massively unimpressed by the Autism Speaks adverts

(269 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CommunistLegoOoOoBloc Sat 13-May-17 22:07:37

Come on, MN. Why are you displaying adverts from such a hateful, ignorant organisation? One that advocates a cure, eugenics, is hated by so many people on the autism spectrum and fervently believes in the anti-vax movement?

Urgh.

rosie39forever Sat 13-May-17 22:19:11

Agree Op vile purveyors of snake oil and parental guilt awful awful organisation.

hazeyjane Sat 13-May-17 22:21:43

I haven't seen the adverts. Autism Speaks are appalling. MNHQ, what are you thinking?!

AlexanderHamilton Sat 13-May-17 22:24:06

I totally agree. My autistic dd would be appalled.

WhereTheFuckIsElsa Sat 13-May-17 22:24:48

Why are they appalling what's wrong with them?

HesNotVanilla Sat 13-May-17 22:25:31

I'm shocked at it too. I wasn't against them entirely a while back but found my words to be twisted further and a heavy agenda that I just don't think they're a responsible organisation in any form.

CommunistLegoOoOoBloc Sat 13-May-17 22:33:58

It's horrific. They're actually taking money from them. So £££ is worth more than the This Is My Child campaign, or just general moral decency? angry

MrsPeelyWaly Sat 13-May-17 22:36:39

I had forgotten all about autism speaks. In fact I can honestly say Ive never paid it much attention, the same way I haven't paid much attention to a lot of autism related sites. In fact I think Ive probably frequented 4 in the 26 years since my son was born or perhaps that should be the 18/20 years Ive had internet.

Over the years my sons mental health has deteriorated very badly and there's not very much to be found on the deterioration that many many many youngsters face as they are getting older but Ive just found quite a bit about it on autism speaks, well that and the epilepsy my son also now has. There's even quite a bit on Tourettes as a co-morbid - my boy also has a diagnosis of Tourettes.

So, whilst Autism Speaks has many a person up in arms, and I cant comment on that because Ive never followed them, I appreciate the information they've provided on things that are very real for my darling son.

hazeyjane Sat 13-May-17 22:37:08

This advert is one of the things wrong with them
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=i+am+autism+autism+speaks&&view=detail&mid=B2069624F0C9534E6EAAB2069624F0C9534E6EAA&FORM=VRDGAR

Megbert Sat 13-May-17 22:45:46

Fucking hell, Hazey is that for real? shock

That genuinely made me feel nauseous.

Fallenmadonnawiththebigboobies Sat 13-May-17 23:07:48

That is horrifying.

hazeyjane Sun 14-May-17 07:36:55

I think one of the main issues with autism speaks is that an organisation that deals with disability needs to deal with all aspects of that disability, and include people with that disability, rather than only speak for them. Autism speaks was started by parents and grandparents of children and adults with autism, and has very much focused on curing autism, finding out a cause with the purpose of it's eradication.

“We don’t want to be talked about as an epidemic or crisis to be combatted,” says Ari Ne’eman, president of the Autistics Self-Advocacy Network. “They view the goal of autism advocacy as a world in which autistic people do not exist. We think we should create a world where autistic people are included and can have a good quality of life.”

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/13/autism-speaks-but-should-everyone-listen

There can be conflict between the parents of people with autism (and any other disability) and the people with the disability themselves, and of course it is a very wide spectrum, that can have vastly different effects on peoples lives. I think some other disability advocacy groups maybe deal with that balance of views, better

FlaviaAlbia Sun 14-May-17 07:40:38

If it makes it any better, MNHQ doesn't pick the adverts, they're done through a 3rd party. When there's been objectionable ones before they've apologised and blocked them. Have you tried reporting your post to ask them @CommunistLegoOoOoBloc?

hazeyjane Sun 14-May-17 07:41:27

I have reported mine, and asked if they will comment.

bubblesagain Sun 14-May-17 07:43:18

WTAF at that youtube advert, so offensive.

I loved that the london eye lighted up pink instead of the autism speaks blue for autism day this year. Another one very disappointed in mumsnet for this.

CommunistLegoOoOoBloc Sun 14-May-17 09:22:11

Yeah, reported mine last night. Hopefully they'll block them as a PP mentioned.

DixieNormas Sun 14-May-17 09:29:52

I don't even have the words to discribe how angry and upset that commercial makes me

LadyPW Sun 14-May-17 09:39:03

That advert - wow. I had to turn it off. I knew they were bad but....
It doesn't make it any better that Mumsnet doesn't pick the adverts. It just shouldn't be taking their money. As an autistic person I'm disgusted.

GandolfBold Sun 14-May-17 09:44:15

Another voice of disgust here.

Hope MN reply soon.

helenfagain Sun 14-May-17 09:48:30

That is absolutely horrific, I'm not sure why it is even allowed to be shown!

redshoeblueshoe Sun 14-May-17 10:12:38

I feel physically sick after watching that.
Straight out of the Nazi handbook.

MetalMidget Sun 14-May-17 10:24:02

I can't get the linked advert to play, but is it their horrific 'I am autism' one? Comparing autism to cancer. :/

redshoeblueshoe Sun 14-May-17 10:28:02

Yes metal it is. Its vile. I couldn't watch it all.

Maybe MN should reconsider putting ads through a third party

CancellyMcChequeface Sun 14-May-17 10:32:49

The linked advert is awful. Very upsetting. I'd be devastated if my family thought about me like that.

hazeyjane Sun 14-May-17 10:37:07

Just to be clear, the ad I linked to is not the ad that mn is showing - it is an old advert, but shows some of the reasons why autism speaks have been criticised.

I'm really sorry it has upset people - I can ask for it to be removed if people are unhappy with me linking to it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now