(23 Posts)
Soconfusedalways Sat 13-May-17 21:19:22

[[https://m.facebook.com/EastLondonChickenSave/?locale2=en_GB]

Soconfusedalways Sat 13-May-17 21:19:37

m.facebook.com/EastLondonChickenSave/?locale2=en_GB

CormorantDevouringTime Sat 13-May-17 21:21:32

YABU if you're not going to give us a hint

PenguinOfDoom Sat 13-May-17 21:21:32

Not clicking on some random link without info. At least explain what it is and why we should click on it.

NeverEvenHeardOfAgentZigzag Sat 13-May-17 21:23:50

It looks like a fb group trying to get better conditions for chickens in East London? Although it doesn't actually say.

Not sure why you haven't put any other info on OP, it's a pretty important part of posting a thread.

Soconfusedalways Sat 13-May-17 21:25:05

Sorry. Yes exactly - it's showing us the conditions that chickens are reared in and campaigning for greater support. It's fairly enlightening

NeverEvenHeardOfAgentZigzag Sat 13-May-17 21:27:18

For anyone careful about looking at disturbing stuff, it's mostly pics of chickens being kept in tiny shitty pens.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 13-May-17 21:28:35

Oh its one of those ram it down your neck vegan groups

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-May-17 21:29:39

YABU

Soconfusedalways Sat 13-May-17 21:30:43

??

I'm not vegan but if you eat it at least take the time to appreciate where it's from - the s not "ram it down your neck", it's reality... how ignorant!

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 13-May-17 21:31:10

In light of recent events, clicking on random links posted by strangers isn't a fabulous idea...

HomityBabbityPie Sat 13-May-17 21:32:26

You should warn people if your links clntainyosetting images.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-May-17 21:32:37

Agreed MrsT

HomityBabbityPie Sat 13-May-17 21:32:40

Wow. Stupid phone. Contain upsetting images!!

Ariawyn Sat 13-May-17 21:34:06

YABU with your dodgy title

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 13-May-17 21:56:58

Do people still not realise where cheap meat comes from? Do they still need enlightening? I think most people I know understand that cheap meat has not been reared kindly.

Do people care? Is quite a different question. Until people genuinely start to give a shit about the plight of battery hens, and start paying through the nose for organic free range meat (as my family does, because we are lucky enough to be able to afford to make ethical decisions about what we eat), the conveyor belt won't stop turning.

Sisinisawa Sat 13-May-17 22:07:48

It's not only cheap meat that's treated badly. Organic free range chickens live a far from idyllic short life before they're slaughtered.

NoParticularPattern Sat 13-May-17 22:13:32

Do people really not already know this?! There's enough free range and organic products out there, and enough publicity of battery farms and the like for people to surely realise that this is where this cheap, poor quality meat comes from?!

Unfortunately people will continue to buy it so long as it doesn't actually beat them round the face every time they consider eating meat or meat by products raise don't in this way. You need to stop the demand rather than campaign for the abolition of the supply.

Ylvamoon Sat 13-May-17 22:18:19

hmm !

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 13-May-17 22:24:37

I'm under no misapprehension that free range organic animals' lives are "idyllic" before being slaughtered, but DH chooses to eat the most ethical meat we can afford, as often as we can afford (supermarket free range organic, three or four times a month). We could just say, fuck it, and pay £5 for twenty chicken wings, or whatever they cost, but it's about making an informed choice as to what is acceptable to you and your ethics. For some people (me included), that is not to eat meat at all.

Soconfusedalways Sat 13-May-17 22:27:24

Me too, i don't eat meat and I'm happier for it

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 13-May-17 22:30:49

But I thoroughly disagree with placing rules and regulations on what other people want to eat. The choice is there for people to make, and the majority of people aren't stupid. They don't need PETA-style shock tactics to open their eyes.

Shall we all agree to eat what we like and not give a shit what someone else wants to eat.

PenguinOfDoom Sat 13-May-17 23:01:35

FFS. If you have a view on the keeping of chickens and you want people to discuss it, post your argument along with the link. Explain calmly and without hysterical 'omg you have to stop eating meat RIGHT NOW because I say so' stuff and people might engage a bit more.

I don't eat meat for reasons, but a lot of people do and if you want them to stop, you need to explain why and give them a reason to decide for themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now