Talk

Advanced search

Ledbury's New Mayor - wife-beater

(24 Posts)
SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 18:14:35

Spousal Abuse

Alleged Inappropriate Touching

Again, women and children coming second. A flawed man put in a position of power once more.

AIBU to be so depressed that the fucking patriarchy appear to be happy to overlook this man's colourful past? Or is it the era we live in? I mean "grab 'em by the pussy" Trump is in the White House...

Might computer keeps crashing because it's shit (craptop) but as far as I remember the first allegation of wife beating was upheld, child abuse was quashed but managed to make trial...

When I get the confirmation of the alleged conviction for wife beating I'll pop it on - likewise if my memory hasn't served me well and he was acquitted on both counts, I'll put those articles up.

meditrina Sat 13-May-17 18:19:09

It's the whole electorate (not 'the patriarchy') who elected him.

I post from time to time about the need to be more active in local politics, because what your council does may well have a far greater impact on your life than the actions of central government. And doing so would also remove the idea that only the patriarchal vote.

isupposeitsverynice Sat 13-May-17 18:26:59

Ah, more proof that being accused of violence against women destroys men's lives! Oh wait...

HildaOg Sat 13-May-17 20:47:44

People voted for who they felt would best represent them. You can be a terrible person and a great public servant and a great person and terrible public servant. Nobody voted to marry him off to themselves, their sisters or daughters. They voted him to represent their political interests. Huge difference.

SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 21:05:42

Right, the child abuse case was pulled before trial.

He pled guilty to punching his wife in the face twice and slamming her into the ground and revived a non-custodial sentence for that offence.

I wonder who the other candidate was that this fella seemed the best option!

meditrina Sat 13-May-17 21:14:28

Good question! Because their clearly is someone who garnered less of the popular vote in council elections. Possibly several people.

Smellbellina Sat 13-May-17 21:15:09

He was on the only one nominated that accepted (not surprising given the amount of infighting going on)

SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 21:16:48

Yes, I gather he was nominated and someone on the Council seconded if. Then he was voted in by the Council, not the people of Ledbury.

So all quite nepotistic, wouldn't you say?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 13-May-17 21:18:06

You're links don't load up for me - can you just stop being coy and put his name up so I can google for myself?

Smellbellina Sat 13-May-17 21:19:26

He wasn't​ voted in at all I don't think, made mayor by default as no one else wants the job!

meditrina Sat 13-May-17 21:20:43

No more nepotistic than, say, the EU.

Only an elected councillor can become mayor and it has to be voted on by the (elected) councillors.

If you want to make your local council different, the best way to do that is to become more active in local politics, and encourage everyone to that too. Vote, obviously, and bother your local councillor about the things that bother you. Join community groups. If you have time, stand yourself (or egg on a friend to do so).

SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 21:21:22

Did I read he admitted the offences against the children but what initially charged under the incorrect Act (way to go, guys 🙄)...

He hits his wife and invites children to touch the flesh of his penis 🤢 and he's now a Mayor.

Unfuckingbelievable.

And yet totally believable.

Women and children, who cares, eh?

SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 21:22:14

Apologies - Martin Eager Mayor of Ledbury.

SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 21:23:05

Also not being coy, the facts are public record.

Just thrilled I managed to produce a clickable link!!

Smellbellina Sat 13-May-17 21:23:15

I wonder if he'll resign as there is alot of opposition.

LakieLady Sat 13-May-17 21:23:53

And I thought Ledbury was such a nice place.

Sometimes I think the world is just full of abusive shits.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 13-May-17 21:23:55

The last mayor and consort of Ledbury were a lesbian couple, so to imply it's a 'patriarchal' council is incorrect.

SexTrainGlue Sat 13-May-17 21:24:06

Well, women had the opportunity to vote for the councillors just as much as men did.

BTW do you have adequate proof of the things you are publishing?

Smellbellina Sat 13-May-17 21:31:20

He pleaded guilty Sex

SouthPole Sat 13-May-17 21:35:24

Do you mean the articles published?

Pled guilty to wife beating. Sentenced accordingly. Divorced now, I believe.

Originally admitted the offences against the children but administrative errors led to another investigation and that one didn't reach trial.

All documented in the press and reported freely.

The strict defence against defamation (libel/slander) is the truth.

SexTrainGlue Sat 13-May-17 21:37:01

To which charges?

I thought some had been dropped (lack of evidence) and I would not want to publish anything that could be problematic, though of course perhaps OP knows more, which is why I asked.

IIRC all this was well known, and the population still elected him councillor. And I don't think there's a lower female turnout there (happy to be corrected) so this isn't the product of the patriarchy. It is the product of a universal franchise voting system.

SexTrainGlue Sat 13-May-17 21:37:47

X-post. Thanks for clarification.

Smellbellina Sat 13-May-17 21:44:39

I understand he was nominated by the outgoing Mayor.

NorksAreMessy Wed 17-May-17 19:00:14

apparently, now resigned, thank goodness. Well done to all those who set up petitions and PERSISTED!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now