Talk

Advanced search

To hate "think 25" guidance

(358 Posts)
FairiesAlwaysWearBlue Sat 13-May-17 16:34:14

Im 28 and look my age! I'm ten years over the legal drinking age and Waitrose wouldn't let me buy a bottle of cider!

Yes I know I should have had ID but I don't drive so no license and I don't often have my passport with me.

I was looking forward to my bottle of cider as a treat for working hard in the library earlier today.

Yes you should protect underage children from buying alcohol but IABU to be annoyed with "think 25" now means everyone needs to show ID?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 13-May-17 16:36:34

It is annoying... I'm 34 and I got ID'd the other day and refused.

PurpleDaisies Sat 13-May-17 16:38:01

I can't get worked up about this. There's no point having an age limit if it isn't enforced.

WishUponAStar88 Sat 13-May-17 16:40:29

I must look ancient as I'm the same ace and barely ever get asked for ID sad no help at all

BollardDodger Sat 13-May-17 16:43:03

Its ridiculous that people aren't allowed to use common sense. If you've got a credit card, you need to be 18 to ve able to obtain credit, so that should suffice.

isthistoonosy Sat 13-May-17 16:44:02

What annoys me most is when I show my ID and they see I am 17yrs older than the age limit (20 here) they never say anything, so clearly they already thourght I looked late thirties, so why are they ID ing me in the first fucking place angry

TeenAndTween Sat 13-May-17 16:44:26

My DD wasn't allowed to claim a free apple pie in MacDonalds the other day as 'you have to be 16 or over'. She was most put out, but they relented when she explained she is only a couple of months shy of 18!

OP - why not get a provisional driving license as your ID? Might save hassle in the long run.

Timeforabiscuit Sat 13-May-17 16:47:38

Honestly, this policy is really REALLY changing how younger people drink - weve got alcohol admissions for conditions PURELY due to alcohol going off the cliff - weve fought for increased education of harms, fought against increased opening hours and availabilty and for minimum unit pricing.

I know the inconvenience is of little help to you and its frustrating - but it works!

kel1493 Sat 13-May-17 16:49:36

I hate it.
Before Xmas, dh and I were in Asda getting food shopping and drinks for Xmas day (wine and some fizz). The lady asked who was paying, my husband was, who is 32. Se said to me, have you got any id? I said no, but I am 23 and I'm not paying. She said I can't serve you as you don't have id. So my husband said but I'm paying. Eventually she gave in. But she could tell I wasn't happy at all.

karalime Sat 13-May-17 16:50:51

Because people's jobs and following the law are more important than you buying a bottle of cider.

People in jobs selling alcohol are put under huge pressure to check ID and will get into trouble if they don't.

If you don't have valid ID, tough shit, I wouldn't have risked my job over it and I would not expect any other shop worked or bar staff to do it either.

I'm 25 and if I want to by alcohol I always bring ID in case I'm asked as does everyone else I go out with.

Believeitornot Sat 13-May-17 16:51:18

I got a provisional license for this reason.

And isthistoonosy, what do you want them to say? They're doing their job. End of story.

RyanStartedTheFire Sat 13-May-17 16:52:06

If you've got a credit card, you need to be 18 to ve able to obtain credit, so that should suffice.
How would you prove it's your card?

namechangingagainagain Sat 13-May-17 16:54:54

Im probably going to get some hate for saying this but it is just another way the over 40's have shafted everyone under 30.
However it pales into insignificance against student loans/ debt the housing crisis and zero hours contracts. smile

( and I say this as someone closer to 40 than 30)

2ndSopranos Sat 13-May-17 16:54:59

I'm 38 and I still occasionally get asked for ID. I love when that happens.

The only time I've ever been annoyed was when I'd popped out to get dh some beer and had no ID. The cashier even said he thought I was over 25 but refused to serve me as I had no ID.

Birdsgottaf1y Sat 13-May-17 17:02:03

""If you've got a credit card, you need to be 18 to ve able to obtain credit, so that should suffice.
How would you prove it's your card?""

Normally it's accepted if you've got another card with the same name on.

There used to help towards the cost of Passports, if you were jobseeking, but that's been cut.

I don't think that it's right that you've got to spend money on ID to buy something that you're legally entitled to.

My DD had her collage bus pass and photo card, with her date of birth on, but a shop wouldn't accept them and she doesn't look underage, without makeup etc.

The same shop, different location, accepted them.

There needs to be consistency on what's accepted.

DevilWearsPrimark Sat 13-May-17 17:02:39

It gets a bit daft. A few years ago it was challenge 21, and Sainsbury's were applying it across all age restricted products. I was about 20 and wanted by buy a 12A rated DVD. As I didn't have ID, I was refused sale as I looked under 21. I was clearly older than 12 though!
I don't blame the shop assistants, for cigs and alcohol they can be personally fined, and even in my case, if a passing manager finds they're in breach of company policy it can lead to disciplinary.

Anon213 Sat 13-May-17 17:04:52

I suppose you will be wanting to buy cigarettes in packets of ten next!

PenSylvester Sat 13-May-17 17:05:07

It is very annoying. I'm 25 and have a 4.5 year old DD and often get IDd when she is stood next to me shouting "mummyyyyy..."
I actually find it a tiny bit insulting. I'm hardly likely to have had my daughter at 12/13. I understand it's their job, and I have worked in retail and been cautious. But having a little bit of common sense would help.
I also had one woman in the queue shout "it's a compliment!" When I was IDd to collect scratchcard winnings, and the shopkeeper could clearly see that I had driven there! It is not a compliment. I clearly do not look 15 or even 17. I look like an adult woman.

sobeyondthehills Sat 13-May-17 17:06:49

If found guilty its a 6 month prison sentance and when I was doing it a five thousand pound fine for the person. Although I have a feeling that changed to unlimited.

So no, just carrying ID on you

Anon213 Sat 13-May-17 17:07:15

If any cashier makes a mistake the supermarket could lose its license to sell alcohol. They cant afford to take just take someones word and risk millions of pounds.

Birdsgottaf1y Sat 13-May-17 17:07:19

""Im probably going to get some hate for saying this but it is just another way the over 40's have shafted everyone under 30.""

The 80's Liverpool that I grew up didn't give us any head start on the equivalent age today. We had no choice but to Care for our disabled/old relatives and it was impossible to get a SN diagnosis.

That's without the sexism and racism (I'm mixed heritage).

Cut it with the ageism.

StickThatInYourPipe Sat 13-May-17 17:07:31

This is why everyone should be issued ID cards, but then this is also a problem for lots of people. Just wait, one day everyone's data will probably be loaded into a system and you will just need to run an fingerprint to ID and pay.

PenSylvester Sat 13-May-17 17:08:16

Another annoying tendency is for the person IDing me to not believe my driving licence is my own! This happened twice last week. I had a doorman ask to see my debit card as proof, and then demanded to see my facebook! He mumbled "it doesn't look like you..."
You do change a fair bit between 17 and 25! For example I now have eyebrows and no dodgy fringe...

FairiesAlwaysWearBlue Sat 13-May-17 17:08:28

I understand the law. But seriously I had my work ID (with photo), my uni ID (with photo), 3 credit cards. I was still refused. The law is under 18s can't drink/buy alcohol. Not if you don't have ID you can't buy it. That's come out from nowhere recently. It was never the case even a year ago around here.

It was an impromptu stop at the supermarket to buy something else. So not planned, so I didn't have my passport.

I never go out with my passport. I've not been ID'd in a bar in years. I look my age unfortunately.

Addley Sat 13-May-17 17:09:32

I got IDd buying menthol filter tips (just the tips, not fags) the other week. I'm 31. I'd love to be flattered, but the staff member was young enough that probably everyone over 21 and under 40 just looks kinda early-middle-aged to her. I don't ever get upset at the staff member as they're risking their job otherwise, but the policy does irk me a bit. Think 21 was fine, 25 is OTT IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now