Talk

Advanced search

To tell my 15 year old son to stop eating biscuits ....

(49 Posts)
FreshColeslaw Sat 13-May-17 14:55:59

and get up and cook/make himself something proper sometimes ...

Just this.

AIBU?

LorLorr2 Sat 13-May-17 15:01:18

If you hide them out of sight maybe he'll have more motivation to male something!

TheMysteriousJackelope Sat 13-May-17 15:01:33

YABU. You should tell him to cook for the rest of the family too not just himself. My DC have been making all the lunches and dinners at the weekends since they turned 14. It would save you a bunch of work, it would make him learn to cook, and he might start taking an interest in food beyond biscuits. He could also learn to bake and make his own biscuits, cakes, and pies.

LorLorr2 Sat 13-May-17 15:01:41

*make grin

Floggingmolly Sat 13-May-17 15:01:57

Does he organise all his own meals?

Marmalade85 Sat 13-May-17 15:02:25

I seen a schoolboy on the bus in the morning eating a packet of Maryland double chocolate cookies and drinking a mars milkshake shock

TroysMammy Sat 13-May-17 15:04:09

Don't buy biscuits.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 13-May-17 15:04:43

Dd will only eat what can be picked up and eaten as it is, unless I make it, she's a lazy toad but I'm past caring tbh.

Grilledaubergines Sat 13-May-17 15:06:17

Because biscuits are easy eating OP. My DC would substitute every meal for a packet of custard creams if I let them. I don't obviously.

FreshColeslaw Sat 13-May-17 15:10:43

I should have said - I rarely buy them - he goes out and buys them with his pocket money.

FreshColeslaw Sat 13-May-17 15:11:48

I do cook most days, but think some days, times, it wouldn't kill him to get up and make a bacon sandwich.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 13-May-17 15:24:50

Biscuits are cheap, easy to eat and satisfying FODDER which is what most teenagers want.
My 18yo is self medicating his exam stress with sugar. Last month packets of biscuits were lasting 2 days not 7 and a "special treat" packet of Haribo crocodiles lasted an afternoon confused.

So now I'm providing him with prepared plates of veg and nuts to snack on, plus sweet stuff like cereal bars or carrot cake. I know it's spoiling him but once the exams are over he'll be on his own.

Maybe healthy ready meals (quinoa pouches?) or easy stuff like cup-a-soup would encourage him to cook for himself. Cheese and a piece of fruit make a balanced meal. Cooking from scratch at that age is asking a bit much, IMO.

AdoraBell Sat 13-May-17 15:26:22

The only way I can my 15 yr old to stop eating all the biscuits, crisps, chocolate etc is to not buy any of it or scoff the lot myself before she gets a chance

LightYears Sat 13-May-17 15:27:12

They don't, they just do things for ease, my son lives off, cereal, bread, pasta, cheese, beige, beige, beige. He'll have some of the stuff I make but still. I'm not worrying about it anymore, I've done that for long enough.
Have you ever seen that freaky eater show, it's truly amazing how the body can survive/function on such a limited variety of food stuffs.

VeryButchyRestingFace Sat 13-May-17 15:27:58

He could also learn to bake and make his own biscuits, cakes, and pies

Seriously?

I mean, great if baking is your thing, but if it's not, isn't life a bit short for that kin of faff?

TheGentleMoose Sat 13-May-17 15:28:40

I would sit down with him and suggest he cooks 1 evening each week for everyone and then buy the ingredients. At all other times I'd be happy to cook or have food ready that he could eat instead of biscuits though.

thesunpeeksthrough Sat 13-May-17 15:28:56

They eat loads at this age. I'd leave him to it if he's a normal weight. One of my year 10s guzzled a packet of Maryland cookies, a packet of crisps and a Capri Sun in my lesson the other day hmm

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 13-May-17 15:29:19

Stop putting poor food choices in your shopping basket. If you stop buying 'grazing' foods, they can't eat endless crap. Adults don't suddenly wakeup obese with diabetes and clogged arteries, their mothers conditioned hem to think this an appropriate lifestyle choice.

Fink Sat 13-May-17 15:31:58

@StillDrivingMeBonkers: a) RTFT, the op doesn't buy them, her ds does.

Fink Sat 13-May-17 15:31:59

Fink Sat 13-May-17 15:31:59

ScarlettFreestone Sat 13-May-17 15:33:16

SgtMajor you think cooking from scratch at 15 is a "bit much"?

Really?

Why on earth would cooking the odd meal be too much for a 15yo?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 13-May-17 15:34:30

fink

When I started typing there were three responses. Perhaps you could roll your repetitive dirge up, grease them and shove them where the sun doesn't shine?

TheMysteriousJackelope Sat 13-May-17 15:35:23

VeryButchy I bake frequently so have a few go to recipes that I know off by heart. Being in the US I measure everything by volume which makes things much faster than fiddling around with scales. I can make a batch of scones in less than 10 minutes, biscuits in about 15, a cake or a batch of muffins in less than 10 minutes. Obviously that doesn't include cooking time, but I go and do something else while the things are cooking.

Baking is much less of a 'faff' than making a curry, casserole, or salad.

Fink Sat 13-May-17 15:35:31

b) 'their mothers condition them' Really? It's all the mother's fault again. A parent comes on here looking to help her/his son make better food choices and still it's the mother's fault. How about, if you really can't take off the judgey pants, you at least spread the blame a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now