Talk

Advanced search

To think this was karma?

(67 Posts)
funnynight Sat 13-May-17 13:38:22

My sister and I have a fairly love hate relationship. Went out for dinner last night and each paid for what we had (it came to about 70 altogether). As I went to pay my share (significantly more), she queried the bill and asked the waitress for a couple of more minutes to pay hers.

Incidentally they had left my cocktail off the bill which she was furious about and insisted I should still pay for. The service was appalling and the meal was very average and overpriced so as far as I was concerned it was fine. But no, she mentioned this to waitress in order to get me to pay it! hmm

She then made as if to leave the restaurant, thereby saddling me with her portion of the meal! 35 quid extra for me! And the cocktail... She only stayed when the waitress saw and came bustling back over.

This left her in the position of paying not obly her share but also for my extra cocktail - karma? smile (She is currently forcing me to give her the money...)

ineedmoreLemonPledge Sat 13-May-17 13:43:00

I'm sorry I don't understand this thread at all...confused

Your share was significantly more, but you paid half and were annoyed that she was honest?

loaferloveforyou Sat 13-May-17 13:44:15

Why shouldn't you pay for the cocktail if you had it?

honeysucklejasmine Sat 13-May-17 13:44:47

Clear as mud, OP

YouTheCat Sat 13-May-17 13:46:29

All sounds a bit petty. If you don't like your sister why go for a meal with her? It doesn't sound like either of you enjoyed yourselves.

funnynight Sat 13-May-17 13:46:36

No. My share was significantly more which I paid. I also paid the extortionate service charge, which she wasn't going to pay. (We had to ask them three times to bring something out and it never happened!)

When I saw they had left one cocktail off my share of the bill, I thought fair enough but still paid for everything else I had.

Before she paid, she mentioned to the waitress about my missing cocktail and was about to leave, leaving me her share of the bill and my cocktail! But the waitress caught up with her just in time leaving her to oh for both

Crispbutty Sat 13-May-17 13:48:12

I'm still baffled confused

BillSykesDog Sat 13-May-17 13:48:31

Why did you pay the service charge if the service was so awful? That's your problem.

loaferloveforyou Sat 13-May-17 13:48:36

Was your sister going to leave without paying?

Bettyspants Sat 13-May-17 13:49:33

Oh well.

LittleBooInABox Sat 13-May-17 13:49:45

It doesn't matter how bad the service. You pay for what you consumed, being dishonest is in my experience deserving of some karma.

If you were that displeased with the meal, you could have spoken with the manager. Normally if there was a reason the meal was a bad experience. Long wait times, uncooked food, then they will often take off some money from the bill.

Knowing they left an item of the bill, and choosing not to mention it. Is being dishonest.

So in conclusion, you were planning on stealing the cocktail, your sister mentioned it to the waitress, and now you feel like you shouldn't pay her for what you consumed? Yeah, YABU.

BillSykesDog Sat 13-May-17 13:50:06

I guess she would probably have been irritated about you smugly paying the service charge when it wasn't warranted when you were actually getting out of paying for a cocktail to cover it when she wasn't.

CookieLady Sat 13-May-17 13:50:54

Not my idea of karma.

GooseFriend Sat 13-May-17 13:51:34

She's a piss taker and yeah that is karma. Can you pay her back for the cocktail in coppers petty

Unlike in real life mn gets bonkers about not paying for things (i.e. You're expected to drive miles back if you realize weeks later etc) so this thread will focus on the cocktail and not your sister trying to get you to foot the whole bill.

funnynight Sat 13-May-17 13:57:45

Haha classic MN! I highly doubt everyone here would add that one cocktail back to the bill

ScarlettFreestone Sat 13-May-17 13:58:22

Well your sister shouldn't have threatened to leave without paying however of course you should pay for what you had including the cocktail.

If you felt the service was dreadful you should have politely asked for the manager and challenged it.

It sounds like neither you and your sister covered yourselves in glory but no, there's nothing "karmic" about being expected to pay.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 13-May-17 13:59:44

No thats not karma. Karma is like 'OCD', overused and misunderstood.

Notso Sat 13-May-17 14:00:00

My brain hurts after reading this.

SaltySalt Sat 13-May-17 14:00:08

I certainly wouldn't point it out. 🍸

harderandharder2breathe Sat 13-May-17 14:00:42

Why on earth do you go for dinner with someone you clearly dislike?

It all sounds very petty and hardly an enjoyable evening

funnynight Sat 13-May-17 14:00:52

Haha well she didn't threaten, she was literally packing up her things and about to walk off! So I was going to be left wth the bill. It's just amusing it came from a place of trying to spite me rather then anything else

funnynight Sat 13-May-17 14:01:33

Clearly all the people saying things like "why would you see someone you clearly dislike" don't have siblings...

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 13-May-17 14:03:18

I wouldn't be going out for another night out with her.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 13-May-17 14:04:12

I have a sister and wouldn't be going out with her again if she acted like this.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 13-May-17 14:10:28

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I get that she tried to make sure you paid for everything you'd had, but how does that affect her if you were each paying for your own intake? It doesn't!
Unless you were splitting the bill down the middle (which is NOT what you said in the OP) then your cocktail makes no difference to her.

The only thing that I can see you feeling a bit "gotcha" about is that the waitress's return prevented her from running and dumping the whole bill on you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now