Talk

Advanced search

illness and nursery

(36 Posts)
user1490465531 Sat 13-May-17 09:42:06

just a quick rant really but wanted to ask others opinion.
I work in a nursery and whilst I don't mind the job I'm finding that every weekend I'm ill as I'm picking up colds/virus from the children as most of them still seem to come in sick or come back to nursery before they have fully recovered.
I worked in a school before and never had this issue but it's beginning to annoy me how every weekend is ruined as I'm feeling like crap.
so aibu and just have to accept this is part of the job? I do take vitamin supplements to boost my immune system but it's not doing much to help.
just wondered if other nursey workers have this issue.
parents don't even want to pick up there children when they are ill or will dose them up on medicene when they are ill and still send them in which doesn't help the problem.

AgentOprah Sat 13-May-17 09:45:47

Have you not been working there very long? Often you get I'll at the start of a new job and then your immune system adapts.

user1490465531 Sat 13-May-17 09:47:46

I've been there well over a year so really thought my immune system would of adapted but it's not.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sat 13-May-17 09:48:55

To be fair it irritates me as a parent when people send their kids in clearly unwell (more than just a cold) because it doesn't suit them.

NannyR Sat 13-May-17 09:51:38

Wiping snotty noses is an occupational hazard of working with toddlers. I can understand your frustration but quite often children can take weeks to get over a cold and it would be unreasonable to expect parents to keep them off until they are 100% well. Your immune system will adapt in time.

DisneyMillie Sat 13-May-17 09:52:52

I think it's normal to send children in with colds - I'm afraid i certainly would - as long as they're not ill with it (temperature etc) as otherwise they'd never be there. So I'm afraid catching colds if your immune system isn't great might just have to be part of the job.

Babies / toddlers catch more colds than school children due to having to develop an immune system from scratch so that's probably why you're finding it worse than previous school jobs.

Sunnie1984 Sat 13-May-17 09:59:13

Our nursery accept children with colds. It's anything with a temperature, diarrhoea and vomiting that they don't want.

So a cold is to be expected until you build immunity.

However, there seems to be a particularly nasty cold/flu virus going round this year, and it could be multiple different strains, so you may be getting them because they are new and you aren't immune.

I've had multiple bugs in the last 12 months and I've got two nursery aged children.

Babywearinggeek Sat 13-May-17 10:00:04

If I didnt send my toddler in with a cold he wouldn't have been in nursery for the entirety of winter 😂 Plus he picks up the colds at nursery anyway so I sure as heck am not going to be the one to lose money when everyone else sends their kids in with germs. Unfortunately I think it goes with the territory of working with little people!

AgentOprah Sat 13-May-17 10:06:03

Good hygiene and hand washing for you should help OP. I wash my hands regularly, after wiping noses and before touching food or my own children and am rarely ill.

user1490465531 Sat 13-May-17 10:07:42

Beginning to think I may just have a really low immune system.
I wouldn't mind if it was just a cold I came home with but I've been really ill and had to spend many weekends laid up to ill to do anything which also affects time spent with my child.

Ankleswingers Sat 13-May-17 10:21:55

Yes yes to washing your hands. A lot.

Also, children who are vomiting/ diarrhoea should not be in a setting for 48 hours AFTER the last episode.

Unfortunately, there are many parents who irresponsibly bring in their children whilst they are still symptomatic.

This is rife in schools too. Makes me furious angry.

In a Nursery setting, this is largely down to the individual setting, as well as the Manager.

As an ex Nursery Manager, I now work on the other side of the fence.

I visit many Nurseries and there are some in which illness/ infection policies are properly implemented and enforced, and others where they are very lax with this.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Sat 13-May-17 10:27:49

Keep a hand sanitiser in your pocket and use it at least every hour

NannyR Sat 13-May-17 10:31:34

Hand sanitiser only kills bacteria, it doesn't work on viruses. You need soap and hot water to remove viruses.

Ankleswingers Sat 13-May-17 10:35:41

Wash your hands thoroughly. Not only this, but ensure that the children do too. Before eating/ after toileting/ when coming in from outside etc

Windows open, strict cleaning routines of toys/ equipment etc

Ensure that within your role as well, Thay these things are being implemented.

Reduces the risk for you too.

Take multi vitamins ( including c and d) a healthy diet and probiotics.

Wash your hands religiously.

Coloursthatweremyjoy Sat 13-May-17 10:43:28

I sympathise OP.

I'm in a pre-school. It's been almost a year and although I'm usually healthy and energetic this year I've caught loads of viruses. I don't get paid if I'm not there so I've pushed through. My body is currently punishing me for this with a 3 week long flu type virus, I feel awful and sorry for myself.

I was like this for the first year of my old job though, then it was as if my immune system caught up and I barely had a day off in 4 years.

I obsessively wash my hands although I have noticed that the water here isn't as hot as in my last place which probably doesn't help.

Hang in there OP sadly you're not alone.

Fluffyyellowone Sat 13-May-17 11:00:30

Use first defence up your snozzle and get loads of sunshine, volunteer outside work where possible, lots of hand washing. Your immune system will be amazing. My Nanny friend never ever ever gets sick, except wine flu.

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 13-May-17 11:04:02

It's not the temp of the water that washes bugs off - it'd have to be scalding for that anyway. It's the action of soap to loosen and water to wash them down the sink.

There's also a good antiviral hand foam by Boots that can be a good backup.

My CM used to avoid the 'every child needs their own towel' thing by antibac-ing their hands instead of washing them... But it's useless against viruses so everyone came down with noro!

eddiemairswife Sat 13-May-17 11:26:56

I read that's it doesn't matter about the water temperature, but what is important is using soap and washing for as long as it takes to sing one verse of'God Save the Queen'.

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 13-May-17 11:29:59

My daughter was told off for taking too long washing her hands at school. A few months later a nurse visiting did a hygiene session with them who confirmed it should be 30 seconds hmm

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 13-May-17 11:30:40

(they told her to stop being so slow and should just do a quick rinse!)

Tanith Sat 13-May-17 11:35:53

I've been using gloves when wiping noses and that helps a lot.

Lots of fresh air outside and wash your hands as often as possible.

I don't do the "towel for every child" either. Breeding ground for bugs. We have lots of face cloths and they use one once, then put it to be washed. I think some nurseries use paper towels and driers.

AgentOprah Sat 13-May-17 12:19:26

Lots of children do spend a long time messing about at the sinks!

Flumplet Sat 13-May-17 12:34:36

Yabu I think. Nursery is too expensive to keep a child off with every little sniffle. Snotty nose isn't enough for me to keep them off, if they have a temp, diarrhoea and/or vomiting then will definitely keep them off for 48hrs after last bout.

danTDM Sat 13-May-17 12:42:45

I have never been as ill as when my DD was in nursery.
I got the works, CMV, EBV, worms, constant colds

It was terrible. YANBU. Poor you. I really feel for you flowers

TiggyMP Sat 13-May-17 12:44:04

I've lost the last 2 weekends. Unfortunately, many things you come down with from the nursery simply need you to have a rest to recuperate. As you rarely get sick pay in nursery you don't take time off meaning you have the illness for longer and you're more likely to pick up something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now