Talk

Advanced search

Was it U to write this message in a card?

(76 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 13-May-17 09:03:31

Just sorting through a memory box with DH and we found the birth congratulations card from my DM when our PFB was born, which reignited a (fairly trivial) argument with DH over the message DM wrote in the card.

The card said "Many congratulations, especially to Bubbins" (i.e. Me, her DD).

DH took offence at this as he thinks it sounds like she was deliberately excluding/minimising him. I think it is simply acknowledging that actually physically giving birth is a big deal and DM is just acknowledging that.

Who is being U?

Gallavich Sat 13-May-17 09:04:32

It is a bit weird but not worth having a row over

Euphemia Sat 13-May-17 09:05:11

Your DH! Is he always so precious?! Did he look after you well postpartum?

intravenouscoffee Sat 13-May-17 09:06:17

I think it's a bit odd and would agree with your DH. Not sure I'd have an argument over it but I can see why he was annoyed.

FanaticalFox Sat 13-May-17 09:06:28

He is BU definitely. I have just received a card from my husband's boss which says congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter, well done Fox. My husband didn't bat an eye lid! We did the hard work, doesn't mean they are not congratulating both of us though!

TrishanFlips Sat 13-May-17 09:07:44

I don't see anything wrong with your message. You had to do the hard bit. Tell your DH to grow up. I don't think your DM meant anything offensive by it - just acknowledging your labour.

AlternativeTentacle Sat 13-May-17 09:07:52

I am sure when he pushes something the size of a large melon through his peephole, he may well get the same message.

What a ridiculous man.

KRG13 Sat 13-May-17 09:07:58

I think it's a bit odd.

A 'and a big well done to bubbins' or something added on I would probably get, but i can see why your DH would mildly prickle at what was written

lanbro Sat 13-May-17 09:09:46

If I congratulate a couple on a birth I always write "congratulations couple, well done woman", perfectly normal

maras2 Sat 13-May-17 09:09:57

Wouldn't have bothered DH.
I've just woken him up to ask him grin

museumum Sat 13-May-17 09:10:23

I think it's fine and right to congratulate the couple but then mention the mother who has just given birth a bit more. Good for her.
It says congrats to you both on now having a dc but special congrats to you for getting through giving birth.

Enidblyton1 Sat 13-May-17 09:10:26

Your DH is being unreasonable.
You gave birth! It's quite normal to give special mention to the mother.
This obviously taps into insecurities your DP has with your DM though.

JigglyTuff Sat 13-May-17 09:17:49

Wow - was your DH pregnant for most of a year and did he give birth?

Is he always this precious?

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 13-May-17 09:18:02

KRG13 I think you have hit the nail on the head.

DM is prone to foot-in-mouth and DH is not her biggest fan so he sees it as another example of her being offensive without realising.

howthelightgetsin Sat 13-May-17 09:19:48

It's oddly written but she clearly meant congratulations to you both and well done to you specifically for giving birth.

Witchend Sat 13-May-17 09:23:59

I think if it was MIL writing it to dh then a lot of people on here would take offence.

Yes, mother is much more involved in the birth, wink so I think less offence, but it could still be felt as a slight.

Although personally I'd roll eyes and ignore it, I can see why he took offence.

Ohmyfuck Sat 13-May-17 09:26:11

Normal message. Nothing to make an issue out of. Completely normal.

Smellbellina Sat 13-May-17 09:26:33

Does your DH realise that whilst having a baby was a joint enterprise, it was you that did the hard graft.
Like if you decided to build a house together, drew up the plans together then he built it by himself with his own bare hands (whilst you supported from the sidelines) you might expect people to say "wow congratulations guys, especially you DH" I doubt he'd see such a problem with it then.

SummerMummy88 Sat 13-May-17 09:26:42

I get it, I would be annoyed too. It's a congratulations card to you both, I don't think it needed to be said.
Somebody wrote in my guest book at my wedding a whole page congratulating my husband on his achivments and didn't mention me his bride once, it's the same sort of thing. It annoyed me so much I threw the whole guest book In the bin.

ifeelcraptonight Sat 13-May-17 09:28:06

Well done ? What if you had a section? Would that not be well done?

I can see why your husband thinks it's a bit off.

EllaHen Sat 13-May-17 09:28:16

It's not just the birth though is it? Nine months of pregnancy too, off course it's not a slight on him.

Jesus, what a baby. Tell him to grow up.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 13-May-17 09:30:28

I like the analogy Smellbellina.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 13-May-17 09:30:38

OP's mum might equally well have said well done if she'd had a section (how do we know she didn't).

Oddly phrased but harmless.

GahBuggerit Sat 13-May-17 09:31:59

Yes he's being a massive baby himself op. Getting jealous and titty lipping over this? God tell him to grow up

GolyHuacamole Sat 13-May-17 09:32:23

Your DH is being very unreasonable and a bit of a dick!

Usually the man has his 5 minutes of excitement and the woman has morning sickness, carrying a child for 9 months, giving up/avoiding various drinks and food, giving birth, baby blues, feeling like a diary cow, body going to pot, putting career on hold etc etc and the man just cracks on with life. Ok massive generalisation but you know what I mean and I think most reasonable men would agree grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now