Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you have heard of Mukbang?

(30 Posts)
hellokittymania Sat 13-May-17 04:43:16

If you knew what it was, has it been around for a long time?I keep seeing videos on YouTube and I didn't really understand what it was. If you didn't know, it's where people eat a lot of food on camera . I don't really understand why it's so popular.

SomeOtherFuckers Sat 13-May-17 04:44:26

Yes I love mukbangs?

SomeOtherFuckers Sat 13-May-17 04:46:09

I live in in one room .. sometimes when I eat it is nice to feel like I am Sharing the experience and speaking to someone rather than being alone all the time ...

hellokittymania Sat 13-May-17 04:46:50

Some, i'm really curious but why? I can't see, so maybe I'm missing something here. Is it the way the food looks that people like?

hellokittymania Sat 13-May-17 04:48:02

Oh OK, so it's more that people like the conversation part?

SomeOtherFuckers Sat 13-May-17 04:48:21

It is pseudo social interaction .. what's so hard to understand

hellokittymania Sat 13-May-17 04:51:21

I would feel really self-conscious doing it. And especially if people saw my cooking! smile but if it's more conversational thing then I can understand.

LaLegue Sat 13-May-17 05:06:33

eh? confused How does this work then? Do you just sit down in front of your webcam and eat your dinner? Or do you see someone else and chat to them while you eat? It sounds weird but I guess it's good if you are lonely or housebound.

CountryCaterpillar Sat 13-May-17 05:14:14

I'm curious. You watch someone eat a lot of food? Or watch a group of people eat? Or is it like some huge group Skype?

hellokittymania Sat 13-May-17 05:15:16

Lalegue people put videos on YouTube, so unless it's live and people can ask them questions or something, I think they just talk to the WebCam?

LaLegue Sat 13-May-17 07:17:18

Okay so if it's not some Skype chat version of a dinner party and it's just watching one person eat with the emphasis on there being a lot of food then it sounds like a weird fetish to me. For feeders. Those strange men who date morbidly obese women and just keep feeding them to keep them fat.

Bubblesagain Sat 13-May-17 07:51:44

I've heard of it, seen some videos, don't get why it's so popular. I technically suppose I do watch it with one streamer I watch who cooks and then eats at the end but it's not just her eating if you get me, she's just showing and explaining the taste of everything she made rather then just the eating being the focus.

LaLegue Sat 13-May-17 16:05:22

I sat and watched a couple of these yesterday on youtube after reading this thread. Some American girl who ordered herself enough food from Pizza Hut for about six people and then gave us a guided tour of all the packaging before tucking into her pizzas and garlic bread. Honestly, I was like watching paint dry. Utterly bewildering.

OrangeJulius Sat 13-May-17 16:23:31

I know what it is as I watch a lot of ASMR. A popular type of ASMR video is to watch/listen to a person eating, so sort of an overlap in concept. I dont watch mukbang though.

CountryCaterpillar Sat 13-May-17 16:24:33

Shudder. I have misophonia. Listening to someone eating would be just the worst!!

ElspethFlashman Sat 13-May-17 16:27:56

Was it Thrift Thick? She does beauty videos (not great tbh) and she's recently diversified into Mukbang. I can't bring myself to watch any. They're literally an hour and a half long!

StiickEmUp Sat 13-May-17 16:28:51

Nicocado avocado- I dare you you search in YouTube

WhereTheFuckIsElsa Sat 13-May-17 16:31:25

It sounds like gangbang!!
So sorry I couldn't resist,pregnant Elsa's fault blush

youaredeluded Sat 13-May-17 16:54:16

Is this is the adult version of kids watching people open kinder eggs? My daughter used to love that! I dunno why.

LaLegue Sat 13-May-17 17:06:24

Me too Country and the pizza eating girl was making quite a lot of loud squelchy noises and kept licking her fingers really loudly too, it wasn't pleasant.

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth Sat 13-May-17 17:07:59

Trisha Paytas has made a career from them!

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 13-May-17 17:09:45

Assumed it was sex without showering first!!

LaLegue Sat 13-May-17 17:26:37

But who watches these things, and why? It's really dull and deeply weird.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 13-May-17 17:31:47

I can't watch ThriftThick videos anymore. Used to enjoy her beauty videos as she seemed relatable and 'normal' but in the last few months she's turned into something totally different.

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth Sat 13-May-17 17:34:07

The Adsense boycott has changed a lot of Youtubers as they are now even more desperate for views in order to meet the minimum monthly payout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now