Talk

Advanced search

McDonald's like Dad advert

(151 Posts)
sadmommyhere Sat 13-May-17 01:00:56

I cannot believe what I have just witnessed!

An advert where this poor lad obviously feels like he doesn't measure up to his deceased father. We go through this sad journey, it's all grey and sad... sadsad

Then 💥Bam 💥 Tartare sauce on the chin and filet o fish burger and all is well!

My husband and I were gobsmacked, quickly followed by a huge outburst of laughter.

Aibu to think this advert is just... wow? hmm

GiraffesCantPlayHopScotch Sat 13-May-17 01:01:53

I was thinking it was going to be some bereavement charity advert. Bluuugh

Triskaidekaphilia Sat 13-May-17 01:06:39

Yeah, my running commentary was along the lines of "I guess this is going to be for life insurance or something .......... Ok, or fucking mcdonalds??" hmm

HelenaDove Sat 13-May-17 01:07:06

Havent seen this one The new Tesco one bugs me though the one where a man has to be tricked by his wife into eating healthily. Because its his wifes (the responsibility of women) to make sure that men eat sensibly obviously. hmm

SuperManStoleMyPants Sat 13-May-17 01:54:28

I want to give the mum a slap - poor lad.

sadmommyhere Sat 13-May-17 01:57:01

Yes superman!! I hate that the mum was making the situation so awful for the lad too.
He deserved a mcfluffy and apple pie after that filet o fish, after all that emotional torture!

I haven't seen the Tesco one, but they would also grate my tits!

budgiegirl Sat 13-May-17 06:17:24

It's terrible, isn't it? My DS16 watched it, rewound it and called to me to come and watch it , as he couldn't believe how awful it is.

splendide Sat 13-May-17 06:25:27

It's amazingly awful what the fuck were they thinking?

LedaP Sat 13-May-17 06:28:52

The Tesco one is awful.

It seems her responsibility to nake sure he eats healthy. And hr is apparantly so stupid he doesnt know baked salmon and cous cous is healthy. 'He is so easy to trick into eating healthy lol lol'

Like thr man is a child. I actually though she was talking about a child the first 2 times it was on.

Fairylea Sat 13-May-17 06:41:50

Their most ridiculous and dreadful advert yet. confused

NotYoda Sat 13-May-17 06:52:25

Haven't seen it yet but nothing surprises me. Lots of adverts now are pure emotional manipulation.

The other corker is the Bingo site that re-imagines lonely, addicted people on their laptops at home as a cupcake-eating, festival going Boden-wearing community

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Sat 13-May-17 06:56:47

My husband commented on this ad last night. It's cheap and nasty, I don't know what they were thinking.

NotYoda Sat 13-May-17 06:57:23

..... I know it's pretty obvious that emotional manipulation is all that companies selling thing that are basically pretty bad for you have to go on, mind you

ForalltheSaints Sat 13-May-17 07:02:18

Boycott McDonalds is the best suggestion I can make.

PeanutButterLips Sat 13-May-17 07:26:38

Anyone got a link?

BifsWif Sat 13-May-17 07:28:21

This ad really upset my friend last night, she is widowed and bringing up her son alone.

NotYoda Sat 13-May-17 07:36:57

It's not on the McDonald's YouTube Channel

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 13-May-17 07:41:15

Has it been pulled already? I can't find it anywhere on YouTube or in the news.

HollySykes Sat 13-May-17 07:42:02

We saw it last night and were appalled even laid back DH, you know it doesn't take too many complaints for an ad to be banned.

Legma37 Sat 13-May-17 07:47:48

I actually thought the ending rather sweet

Runzilla Sat 13-May-17 07:47:58

Yup, watched it last night with my two teenage, fatherless sons. We all sat there open-mouthed. I couldn't even get any words out. I hope they pull it. Being bereaved is rubbish and can't be cured by fastfood.

traceyturnblatt Sat 13-May-17 07:58:23

I watched it last night. Totally poor taste and seemed to be saying to the wee boy that even though he's not like his dad in any other way, the fact he eats a filet o fish sandwich like him makes everything ok.
Honestly...what were the advertisers thinking?hmm

Qtipsrsweet Sat 13-May-17 08:01:25

http://www.marcomm.news/mcdonalds-tugs-at-the-heart-strings-with-latest-spot-dad-by-leo-burnett-london/

OliviaBonas Sat 13-May-17 08:04:59

It's awful and so it that Tesco one also mentioned incidentally.

cowgirlsareforever Sat 13-May-17 08:06:02

Maybe the father died of obesity thanks to his love of McDonalds?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now