Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit sad.

(13 Posts)
Elfmonster55 Fri 12-May-17 21:03:51

Feeling a bit low today so please be kind.
Had yet another unsuccessful interview today and feeling a bit defeated.
I left a steady job just after Christmas after being offered a new role, 2 weeks into new role my youngest DD age 3 was admitted to hospital with bronchiolitis and had a week's stay there. My new boss and I mutually agreed whilst DD was still in hospital that they would recruit for a replacement as I didn't know when I would be back... Fast forward to now and I am still unemployed, I've had a few interviews but I always have to explain this gap in my c.v. I have a good amount of experience in the work that I did but it never feels like enough, some companies don't even bother to get in touch or give feedback after interviews. I hate not working and the lack of routine and money.

ScrumpyBetty Fri 12-May-17 21:26:19

flowers that sounds really hard especially in context of a poorly DS. Your last boss should not have replaced you so soon.

Would you be able to do some volunteering a few times a week with the sort of job you want to do? It's often a good way to get some work experience and it will look good on your CV. Good luck.

Willyorwonte Fri 12-May-17 21:40:46

That's crap.
Keep looking. Tomorrow is a new day.

crazycatz Fri 12-May-17 22:34:29

Is there any chance of vacancies at your old job? It is a pain def, I hope things look up for you soon x

foxyloxy78 Fri 12-May-17 22:44:46

How do you explain the gap in your CV? Taking time to care for a sick dependent is perfectly understandable and you could just put it down as parental leave?

Stay strong. You just need to keep going until you find something. Easier said than done, but it will happen. Chin up and keep at it.

chitofftheshovel Fri 12-May-17 23:00:55

elf it is so bloody disheartening isn't it.

I hope things go your way soon and that your daughter is fully recovered.

Coastalcommand Fri 12-May-17 23:03:43

Sending a big hug.

Elfmonster55 Sat 13-May-17 07:21:33

Thank you for your replies, it was a rubbish day yesterday! Another interview that lasted over an hour, the director of the company just talked about the company for that length of time and I barely had a chance to speak, he then emailed me to say he 'had no doubt I could do the job but I just wasn't the right fit for the company' hmm
Volunteering would definitely be a good idea thank you.
I usually tell the truth about the gap on my c.v and always say it isn't a regular thing, we know how to manage it now to avoid another hospital visit etc etc but by then they have usually made up their mind!
I did ask at my old job and they offered me the same role at a different location (an hours travel there and back for £4.50 an hour less than what I was on previously, I did consider it but my DH said it a s insulting, kinda wishing I had just swallowed my pride and taken it now! 😂
Thank you again x

Elfmonster55 Sat 13-May-17 07:23:29

Forgot to add DD is absolutely fine now bless her

Ylvamoon Sat 13-May-17 07:26:12

I once had an interviewer tell me that dogs and children are a not great for finding a job! hmm

Ylvamoon Sat 13-May-17 07:32:21

Sorry posted to soon!

I think you need to look at your gap and dress it up like ...oh, I just wanted to take some time out to be with DD - don't tell them she was ill. They probably are afraid that your child has a chronic condition and this will be a regular thing. Nothing wrong with a half truth / white lie in this case to get the job.
Good luck, your job is out there waiting for you!

JustWantedPetrol Sat 13-May-17 07:36:53

Bless you mate, just started looking for a job myself although haven't left my current one yet so feel for you . All I can say is hung in there, learn lessons from previous interviews and if you can get a copy of the Great Answers to Tough Interview questions is brilliant.. And don't give up x

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sat 13-May-17 08:09:04

Employers shouldn't discriminate against parents of children who "might" make it necessary for them to take parental leave due to illness. Unfortunately we all know that many do exactly that.

I agree with Ylvamoon about skirting around the issue. Don't outright lie, but minimise it. When they ask about the gap in your CV just say you decided to take some personal time due to an illness in the family. Full stop, end of explanation. Smile sweetly. Next question?

If they push for more detail try focusing on the fact that you didn't want to inconvenience your employer by taking indefinite leave so you decided to step down.

Ensure your attitude is confident and unapologetic, making it clear that the time off was a) necessary, b) a one-off and c) no big deal. The words "I decided" are powerful and show that you were always in control of the situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now