Talk

Advanced search

To leave Facebook

(44 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Fri 12-May-17 20:21:04

I'm only putting it off because don't want to leave a flouncy comment or just go with no message. It's so depressing and angsty.

AddToBasket Fri 12-May-17 20:21:37

Just don't go on. Why do you need to flounce?

high5sportsnutrition Fri 12-May-17 20:21:54

Put a nice message then smile

PeaFaceMcgee Fri 12-May-17 20:23:40

Can you not just delete people and make do with the core you like?

I keep my list to 50 for a quiet life.

But you can just leave without having to make a big fuss / point about it. Your choice!

NavyandWhite Fri 12-May-17 20:23:53

Get rid of all your "angsty" friends.

My FB has no real drama on it because the minute anyone starts with it I either block them or unfollow them.

It's all peace and harmony grin

Strikhedonia Fri 12-May-17 20:24:42

you don't need to go on it, and you surely don't need to post a message.

I like Facebook, I really enjoy seeing the good news from friends on them, new babies, beautiful trips and holidays, achievements. Not everybody has good news, but the happy ones cheer me up. It's not mandatory to be on there though!

DissonantInterval Fri 12-May-17 20:25:14

I didn't say a word. Just quietly disappeared into the night. No one has noticed!

CrispyBathTowel Fri 12-May-17 20:25:18

Surely you can just quietly deactivate your account or unfollow the people who piss you off if you don't want to untriend them. People who make big leaving announcements are a bit cringe tbh.

thecolonelbumminganugget Fri 12-May-17 20:27:09

If you look in the Facebook terms and conditions you'll see that they don't allow you to leave unless you have posted a flouncy status first.

CaulkheadNorth Fri 12-May-17 20:27:57

I unfollow the people who do my head in. I advertise a lot of work stuff, and I need those people to see it so don't want to delete them.

user1490734428 Fri 12-May-17 20:28:16

I've often thought about leaving Facebook, but I like all the meme/alternative news/cute dog pages I follow....blush

I just cull people who I think I won't see again, who post too many selfies and have questionable political opinions. Easy, no drama.

PossibiliTea Fri 12-May-17 20:29:08

I got rid 2 years ago and never looked back it's actually really refreshing! Make sure you have peoples numbers for WhatsApp or texting and you'll be good!

PossibiliTea Fri 12-May-17 20:29:44

I started a cull but it caused more problems than it was worth so just came off!

Oysterbabe Fri 12-May-17 20:30:00

Just leave if you want but don't make a big song and dance about it because you'll look like a twat and no one cares.

PhyllisNights Fri 12-May-17 20:30:57

Disable it until you feel you may need to use it. No big deal.

Jimcanna Fri 12-May-17 20:31:32

I deactivate my account regularly. Just went back on after a 3 week break. It's shite.

Hassled Fri 12-May-17 20:34:22

You just need to be ruthless about who/what you see, and with luck you can end up basically seeing nothing but videos of cats being stupid. FB can be what you make it - I like it, but I have just hidden anything which even remotely winds me up.

GingerWh1nger Fri 12-May-17 20:34:54

I deactivated mine 6 months ago and life is so much less stressful. Instagram's my new favourite as less pointless updates and no mutual (de)friending - can just follow who you like smile

If you set up an instagram account before you close your Facebook one, you can find all your FB friends on it

MagentaRocks Fri 12-May-17 20:35:12

I deactivated a few years ago. No regrets and I don't miss it.

OMGBecky Fri 12-May-17 20:35:56

I left Facebook four years ago. Don't miss it at all! I didn't leave any grand departure announcement. Just quietly requested my account be deleted. I realized I didn't need Facebook to stay in touch with my real friends. It did take a few weeks to stop absentmindedly reaching for my phone to check it though!

glamourousgranny42 Fri 12-May-17 20:37:22

I don't understand why people feel don't take control of Facebook. If you get loads of annoying spam email you don't quit using email. Tailor your news feed to what you want to see. Personally I find it vital as a source of news and information that the mainstream media just don't cover.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 12-May-17 20:37:37

My FB is rather lovely. This week I've been chatting to some old friends I haven't seen in a while, doing some Pratchettian pondering in a lovely Discworld group, celebrating a local mini-miracle with several hundred other very happy people, booked a nature walk in a local park, swapped packing ideas for an upcoming school trip in a group for parents at our school and shared some silly pictures with my DSis.

Hide the shit, block the angst, find some stuff you really enjoy. It isn't FB's fault if you insist of following disappointing friends, pages and groups.

troodiedoo Fri 12-May-17 20:39:21

Stand not upon the order of your going....

TinselTwins Fri 12-May-17 20:41:38

My facebook is so boring now that there's no point in going on it regularly

turns out, once you get rid of the whingers nowt much goes on there!

PossibiliTea Fri 12-May-17 20:46:21

Ginger I'm with you, much prefer Instagram!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now