Talk

Advanced search

To be shitting myself right now...?!

(23 Posts)
ScouseBird8364 Fri 12-May-17 16:33:35

I'm off out on my first date of over 10 years confused

Sorry to post in AIBU but I know I'll get more traffic here from you lovely, supportive lot winkflowers

Seriously though, what do I talk about, without ranting on about my kids too much?!? confused

MrsBobDylan Fri 12-May-17 16:37:31

Ask your date questions about him/her, then you don't need to worry about what you say/don't say. You'll be fine.wine but don't drink too much!

BrightonBelleCat Fri 12-May-17 16:52:19

I always drove to dates and met somewhere in the middle.

This was after one where I got horrendously drunk and ended up sleeping with someone I had met 2 hours earlier.

blush

ajandjjmum Fri 12-May-17 16:52:53

Have fun!

Crowdblundering Fri 12-May-17 16:53:07

Brighton grin

ChambourcyHippopotamousse Fri 12-May-17 16:54:20

Have a fabulous time!

FrenchMartiniTime Fri 12-May-17 16:55:13

Don't be on your phone too much wink

No politics! Nothing too deep on a first date.

Just stuff like where did they grow up? Family? Hobbies? Holidays? Work?

Have fun! wine

Allabitmuchisntit Fri 12-May-17 16:55:29

Say you are nervous, smile, be yourself.
Enjoy it!

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Fri 12-May-17 16:56:22

^ Don't be on your phone at all! Massively rude on a date!

Ask him lots of questions, talk about any hobbies you have? What is on your bucket list... favourite music/comedians/films/TV shows?

TheGentleMoose Fri 12-May-17 16:57:51

Enjoy!!!

And yes, don't get your phone out rather than talk to them!

Talk about : the weather? [are you British?]

gunsandbanjos Fri 12-May-17 16:58:21

Music, movies, maybe politics if you're brave!
Enjoy, I got back into dating after being married for 10 years then separated for 3. Now disgustingly happy with an amazing man I met through online dating.

Joey7t8 Fri 12-May-17 16:59:12

Don't waste your time with a second date if you don't fancy them.

robinia Fri 12-May-17 16:59:29

Talk about work, interests, aspirations. Even if some of them were/are a long time ago or a long time away!
Ask questions. Try to engage with his answers.
If he has kids talk about kids. Try not to rant about them too much!
And enjoy. Even if there is awkwardness at the start, if he's right for you then you should start to feel more relaxed as you talk more. Unless of course you end up fancying him way too much in which case you may not!!

Whereismumhiding2 Fri 12-May-17 17:00:01

Oooh good luck!! tbusmile How exciting and scary!!

Talk about what you are both interested in, then you can see whether you have much in common or even how well you banter if you have different interests! It's less daunting if you think of it as a short evening meeting someone who can tell you interesting stuff or hobbies you've never even thought about! And someone other than your DC who you can impress with your dress style and maybe even wear heels for (assuming you are a female... Or a flamboyant man!! smile)

(But stay off of politics, Brexit or exes as topics in first date! grin)

SlapperPJ Fri 12-May-17 17:16:06

Have some questions in your mind for any quiet/awkward moments -
stuff that is quite lighthearted - so will not lead into heavy/political territory but can be expanded upon. So stuff like:

What was your favourite holiday whilst growing up? Ask him why - the people, the place, that things he was doing?
What did you play with? Lego? Games consoles?
What silly rules can you remember from being a child (not allowed to watch children's ITV was something that DH and in common grin)
Does you have/did you have a dream car/job/hobby - is it still your dream? If so are you doing anything to achieve it? If not, why not - is it now really naff/out of date?

And enjoy!

TheNaze73 Fri 12-May-17 17:17:24

Play the game, not the occasion. football

brasty Fri 12-May-17 17:24:09

Talk about politics if they are important to you. If not, I agree don't.

robinia Fri 12-May-17 23:37:07

How did it go?

ScouseBird8364 Sat 13-May-17 15:29:15

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Feeling gutted actually, I just don't feel like I'm girlfriend / partner material sad

I'm a self-proclaimed nerd, I love the arts, theatre, architecture, opera, true crime, my studies (Psychology) whereas he was a real guys guy if you get me.

Will I ever find a guy out there who likes this stuff and is interested in me, or do they all just want some typical cloned-barbie who gets her nails done every week, only reads the OK magazine and watches nothing but Geordie Shore and who also swears like a trooper? hmmsad

I'm worrying Scouse guys are just after this? sad

PeaFaceMcgee Sat 13-May-17 15:36:31

Sympathies OP - there must be some nerdy sexy cool blokes in your area though. Wonder where they are... Arts / comedy / theatre gigs?

gunsandbanjos Sat 13-May-17 16:22:31

There are guys out there for you, I'm a total nerd, still found my guy online. You maybe need to be more discerning before meeting someone?
I wasn't looking for a 'lad', they were quite easy to spot online to be honest so I just didn't waste my time!

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Sat 13-May-17 18:17:01

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, OP! You got yourself up and out there. Well done! And even if it wasn't a huge success, the next one might be better? You sound a lot like me. Nerds unite! flowers

BrightonBelleCat Sat 13-May-17 23:19:01

You will. It's a cliche but it will happen when you don't expect it. I was by myself for years (bar the accidental sleeping with someone I just met incident) and last year moved in with someone. Never thought it would happen to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now