Talk

Advanced search

To be gobsmacked at the talent of Masterchef

(21 Posts)
FoodieWish Fri 12-May-17 13:42:10

I have just caught Masterchef occasionally this last week.

The chefs are so brilliant. Amazing! Its almost humbling.

Yet I am a tinsy bit (a) sad I can't cook like that and (b) wonder why I never eat food that good in any restaurant I've ever been in,

araiwa Fri 12-May-17 13:43:29

have you tried (a) learning to cook and (b) going to better restaurants?

FoodieWish Fri 12-May-17 13:44:54

the usual idiot response from MN jerks, not even funny. But the first ones to respond usually have nothing better to do with their lives it must be admittedgrin.

glastogal Fri 12-May-17 13:47:24

I'm on awe of the masterchef finalists too.. wish I was a judge!!

TSSDNCOP Fri 12-May-17 13:48:45

I thought no that given they're amateurs it's mind blowing what they can do and the transformation that they go through as the show progresses.

TSSDNCOP Fri 12-May-17 13:50:06

Yes, but how is it the judges aren't the size of a house? Cherish on the cakey version is a dink but scoffs back those bon bons like a devil.

FoodieWish Fri 12-May-17 13:50:12

they're so brilliant its almost a bit scary! grin

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Fri 12-May-17 13:51:01

@airiwa have you tried (a) not being such an arsehole and (b) resisting the urge to prove it to everyone?

AppleOfMyEye10 Fri 12-May-17 13:51:26

Yanbu, I do think that they are amazing, but given this is their passion I can imagine that they are always practicing and perfecting their techniques and dishes.

Yabu on point b. I have eaten in many fantastic restaurants.

araiwa Fri 12-May-17 13:52:58

if first responders have nothing better to do with their lives, what do people who post inane trivial OPs have going on in their lives?

i watched the Champions league this week. AIBU to feel sad that I cant play football as well as the best players in the world?

i watched a beyonce concert on dvd, AIBU to feel sad that i cant sing as well as one of the best vocalists in the world?

instead of feeling sad, use it as inspiration to improve yourself. Masterchef is great. they are all home cooks with no professional training, if they can do it, why cant you?

VerySadInside Fri 12-May-17 13:53:29

Really? I always think most of it looks very doable an they are always crap at the challenges. I love mater chef the professionals though.

whattheactualchuff Fri 12-May-17 13:54:57

dolorestherunawaytrain - Epic response!

They are amazing...I think I need to become a food critic so I get to taste all these amazing dishes!

I've not caught up yet though. I have caught the beginning of the one in South Africa.

FoodieWish Fri 12-May-17 13:56:39

yh epic Dolores!

araiwa Fri 12-May-17 13:58:21

"dolorestherunawaytrain - Epic response!"

it lost some of its sheen when she got my name wrong grin

it was only a semi joking response and my advice would certainly have helped OP wink

missyB1 Fri 12-May-17 14:02:00

This year the standard amongst the finalists is really high, it's hit and miss some years. Yes their food does look better than some restaurants I've eaten in (and I've been to many supposedly high end restaurants).
If I had to pick a winner I would say the doctor.

Jonsnowsghost Fri 12-May-17 14:10:19

The contestants on Masterchef Australia are 10 times better than the UK Masterchef, they are just amazing! Series from 2015 is just starting on home....

TortoiseBeep Fri 12-May-17 14:15:25

For one, the Masterchef contestants aren't having to contend with only stuff that you can find in your local supermarket, or only stuff that you can afford. They are also getting proper training alongside.

For another, remember that by the time Jon and Gregg are eating it, its usually stone cold. No wonder they don't eat too much!

I don't get why Araiwa 's response is so bad - its not like they aren't clear which restaurants they use- its just that you might need a second mortgage to eat there grin

TheDogsMother Fri 12-May-17 14:19:45

I'm always amazed how how quickly their presentation skills are elevated. They are fabulous and I can't imagine every being able to present a plate of food that well. I'm sure they practice like mad and research all they can. Do you think they receive additional tuition from the programme makers along the way ?

Hidingtonothing Fri 12-May-17 14:24:28

This years finalists do seem particularly good, I think Steve will win.

araiwa Fri 12-May-17 14:25:36

also, never watch juniour masterchef when youre sat at home eating a microwave lasagna- depressed doesnt even start to cover the feelings!!

Marlboroandmalbec34 Fri 12-May-17 14:33:36

Never watch a cooking programme when all you have in is a multipack of wotsits!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now