Talk

Advanced search

To go to the GP for a cough?

(38 Posts)
GoldenOrb Fri 12-May-17 09:17:45

I've had a chesty, sometimes productive (green/yellow gunk) cough for 3 weeks now. I'm coughing a lot, currently often unable to cough up what I can feel catching in my chest, and I'm pretty exhausted by it now. Yesterday I was knackered walking from work to home (about a mile) and I'm a very fit and active person so that's really unlike me. Otherwise I feel ok, no temperature etc.

Is a GP just going to tell me to naff off? If so I don't want to waste their time. I suspect they will tell me it will just go away by itself but I don't know when to start worrying that I haven't managed to clear it.

Shoxfordian Fri 12-May-17 09:19:11

I think the NHS website says to go if a cough lasts that long or you could call the non emergency line and see what they say

jelliebelly Fri 12-May-17 09:19:11

I'd get it checked out - 3 weeks is a long time for a chesty cough

Rossigigi Fri 12-May-17 09:20:18

I had this last September ended up with 4x courses of antibiotics, 3x chest x rays and a CT scan.
If it doesn't clear after a few weeks you need antibiotics. So make an appointment and I hope you feel better soon I know how horrid it is.

MackerelOfFact Fri 12-May-17 09:20:33

I think they usually say 3 weeks is the point at which it becomes a 'persistent cough' and potentially a symptom of an underlying issue. I'd make an appointment to be on the safe side.

WowserBowser Fri 12-May-17 09:21:00

The NHS website does say that if you have a persistent cough for over 3 weeks to see your GP.

My son has had a cough on and off since December but it's just a cough iyswim. It doesn't actually bother him that much.
Although it bothers me as it's mainly at night poor sod.

Anyway, I'd give them a ring if you are worried.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Fri 12-May-17 09:21:04

The advice is go to see GP after three weeks. It will probably be a viral infection and the advice will be on how to manage it, but it's best to check it out.

Unfortunately the cough often lingers for weeks after the infection.

randomsabreuse Fri 12-May-17 09:21:26

Definitely make an appointment - lots of nasties start this way to best to rule them out!

brasty Fri 12-May-17 09:21:55

Sounds like a chronic chest infection that you need antibiotics to clear. The green stuff is usually a sign of infection.

TSSDNCOP Fri 12-May-17 09:22:02

I have the same and was sent yesterday by my boss. I've been given a codeine based suppressant which has enabled my first nights sleep in days. I felt a total fraud but I was coughing until I was sick, everything hurts and I can't do my job.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 12-May-17 09:24:21

A cough for 3 weeks and coughing up green stuff could easily be a chest infection. Definitely go.. When mine was like this last year I left it for a bit longer than I should have done and ended up with a bad infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear. Didn't have a temp, just a cough + green phlegm.

rogueantimatter Fri 12-May-17 09:25:50

Definitely worth going to your GP. My guess is that you have a bacterial infection.

Wowser asthma can present as a tickly cough at nightime. My DS has this.

GoldenOrb Fri 12-May-17 09:28:13

SheRaaargh that's interesting to know as I assumed I'd be more unwell if it was a chest infection. I've only had one once before and I felt like death.

Thanks all, I'll give the GP a call.

FutureChicken Fri 12-May-17 09:33:25

Thanks for asking- I have exactly the same!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 12-May-17 17:02:14

DS frequently gets chest infections (well, he's had about 6 so far and he's not even 3 yet) and he's never particularly ill with them either, the green snot and nasty cough, yes, but he just carries on as normal. Even I can hear the crackles in his cheat though

GreatFuckability Fri 12-May-17 17:05:35

i had bronchitis a couple of years ago and this sounds very familiar. i left it for ages too, and got throughly told off by the doctor! definitely get it seen.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 12-May-17 17:30:57

YANBU

persistent bad cough needs checking out

I had a persistent niggling cough that one doctor dismissed as viral but when I went back to a different doctor a couple of months later was actually my asthma not being properly managed.

MatildaTheCat Fri 12-May-17 17:35:12

My persistent cough was whooping cough and potentially highly infectious. Ask for a blood test to rule it out. I would go quite long periods without coughing and then cough until I almost passed out. GP was sceptical but DH had had it so I recognised the signs very late in the day.

GoldenOrb Fri 12-May-17 18:40:30

I managed to get into the gp this afternoon, she diagnosed it as a chest infection and I've got antibiotics. Thanks for encouraging me to go!

PlinkPlonkPlunk Fri 12-May-17 18:46:14

Feel better soon!

Just a little reminder in case it happens again - you can always get advice from a pharmacist in these situations, if you're not sure what to do.

Mu123 Fri 12-May-17 21:36:35

Hope you feel better soon golden

I recently got in trouble from my gp for not going to the drs about my cough that had been 5/6 weeks. I was well aware it had gone to my chest but knew my body would fight it eventually. Id gone for my 6 monthly med/block check and he about lynched me!

FutureChicken Sat 13-May-17 12:54:32

Interesting different GPS, I just went for a 4 week chesty cough/ breathless when exercising and got a right look for going! Told viral ones often last 5/6 weeks. Very quick listen and dismissed inside 60 seconds. I felt quite stupid for going, but did partly on the back of this thread. clearly didn't believe I felt rough

harderandharder2breathe Sat 13-May-17 13:42:44

Glad you went and hope you feel better soon

GoldenOrb Sat 13-May-17 15:48:51

futurechicken maybe when they listened to your chest they couldn't hear anything? My gp said she could hear crackles at the bottom of my lungs, and that is why she gave the antibiotics.

FutureChicken Sat 13-May-17 17:22:16

That's fine, she just placed the stesoscope twice around my collarbone... dunno... just seemed so quick and half arsed....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now