Talk

Advanced search

Avocado Hand

(63 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Fri 12-May-17 08:29:36

Apparently people are injuring themselves cutting their hands when opening an avocado, and this is becoming common. I mean how hard is to to cut an avocado, carefully, and prise the stone out with a spoon?

Wando1986 Fri 12-May-17 08:30:20

Iceland now sell frozen pre halved avocados. The hands of the middle classes are now saved grin

AnathemaPulsifer Fri 12-May-17 08:32:23

I suspect many of the injuries are from holding the avocado in the palm whilst cutting/slicing.

I can't fathom why people use a sharp knife for avocado. The knife I use couldn't cut my hand but goes through the avocado like butter.

RoboticSealpup Fri 12-May-17 08:36:26

Frozen avocado is so disgusting.

theresamustgo Fri 12-May-17 08:37:54

How can this be a thing now? Is Lidi-Aldi to blame?

user1471521456 Fri 12-May-17 08:40:04

Iceland now sell frozen pre halved avocados. The hands of the middle classes are now saved

Nah, the middle classes wouldn't be seen dead in Iceland. grin

Mrsglitterfairy Fri 12-May-17 08:40:38

Eh?! I am the clumsiest person going examples including burning my hand on soup, tripping up over my own feet, bursting a glow-stick and having the liquid go in my eye, but I have never cut my hand like some people are on an avocado. And if I can do it, anyone can

Kokusai Fri 12-May-17 08:41:27

Nah, the middle classes wouldn't be seen dead in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland recently? It's gone right upmarket! Frozen snapper and stuff!

I love Iceland for frozen fish, veg, fruit. :-)

HomityBabbityPie Fri 12-May-17 08:42:13

I've done this. I was trying stupid nigella's method of de stoning by sticking a knife into the stone. Yeah.

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 12-May-17 08:46:05

It won't be the cutting of the avocado, but the whacking of a sharp knife into the stone, twisting and removing.

The idea is to keep your other hand well clear of the whacking space, but I can imagine some people hold the avocado, whoosh down with the sharp knife, and slice right into their hand.

🥑🔪

user1471521456 Fri 12-May-17 08:48:36

Have you been to Iceland recently? It's gone right upmarket! Frozen snapper and stuff!

Really? Next, you'll be telling be Kerry Katona is no longer the face of Iceland. shock

CaulkheadNorth Fri 12-May-17 08:49:08

Radio one was talking about this yesterday. Apparently there is a surge of people presenting at a&e at brunch time at the weekend... I eat too much a lot of avocado but have never experienced this.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 12-May-17 08:49:42

So it's Nigella's fault? I read about this in the paper the other day, and it was obvious that the method described of trying to stick the knife into the stone was dangerous.

If you do it like a normal person, the risk of injury is almost none existent.

dudsville Fri 12-May-17 08:52:30

I've never come near injuring myself. I put the half with the stone in my palm, get a large knife, and rather than a stabbing motion (never heard of that!) I bring it down like a machete. Seed is embedded on the knife. I then do the same motion over the bin and seed is nestled into the rubbish.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 12-May-17 08:55:03

I just pull the stone out or prise it out with a spoon. I don't like the knife method because it blunts my lovingly sharpened knives.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 12-May-17 08:56:40

This is like when I bought an ex a bagel clamp as a joke (in NYC - the packaging had dire warnings about "bagel related injuries" emblazoned across it) and it turned out that he had once severed an artery trying to slice a frozen bagel confused

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 12-May-17 08:57:12

My 11 and 6 year olds can open and de-stone an avocado without maiming themselves and they are two of the silliest children in the free world. So the question is, how daft must the injured people actually be?

HomityBabbityPie Fri 12-May-17 09:00:06

So the question is, how daft must the injured people actually be?

I'm not daft I promise!!

theaveragewife Fri 12-May-17 09:02:09

I had to take DH to A&E once after he accidentally stabbed himself with a champagne flute, the stem of which broke when he tried to steam clean it for me.

Deathraystare Fri 12-May-17 09:04:26

Ha ha I was wondering whether there would be a posting on this!

Despite being an absolute klutz in the kitchen (and elsewhere) I cannot remember cutting myself on an avo. Everything else, yes! Cue next time I buy one I will cut myself!

Kokapetl Fri 12-May-17 09:09:15

I've done it. Twiceblush Never badly enough for A&E but that's partly luck in missing major arteries etc.

I'm not normally so daft but I do eat a lot of avocados. The stabbing the stone method does work and causes the least damage to the stone if you want to try to grow it. I suppose you don't need to do it if you are cutting it into chunks but if you plan to put dressing or prawns or something in the hole then scoop the avocado out it's tricky to get a stone out any other way without losing or squashing the avocado. I just sometimes forget to use a chopping board rather than my hand and the knife slips on the stone occasionally.

Fragglez Fri 12-May-17 09:09:34

I know someone who had to have a finger amputated after cutting themselves while slicing a bread roll held in their hand. They cut the tendon and it couldn't be reattached.

Surely it's basic common sense that you keep the sharp edge of the knife pointing away from you?!

The description of machete-ing the avocado makes feel a bit sick! I put the half on the board, put the point of the knife into the stone (pointing away from me!) twist a little and it pops out, no drama, fingers all intact!

Igneococcus Fri 12-May-17 09:11:24

dp managed to get a serious cut with lots of bleeding from a Lidl ciabatta bun, there wasn't even a knife involved, just a crusty stick out bit of bread, so it doesn't surprise me at all that people injure themselves cutting an avocado.

welovepancakes Fri 12-May-17 09:13:21

Happened to a friend of mine. She bought us all these for Christmas. They're very good

www.dunelm.com/product/kuhn-rikon-avocado-knife-1000069456

BluePeppers Fri 12-May-17 09:14:03

I have a very nice avocado slicer that will not cut my hands.

Like this one
Cuts the skin (but the blade can't cut your hand), removes the stone and does lovely slices.

Problem solved grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now