Talk

Advanced search

to think there can be no justification for not allowing trousers for primary girls

(183 Posts)
Napoliforte Thu 11-May-17 23:33:54

DD never wears skirts or dresses outside of school, she wears jeans and leggings and trousers and shorts. At school she's forced to wear a school skirt, and as of half term, a summer dress. We asked could she wear trousers, or the tracksuit joggers she has for PE, or smart shorts, but all were rejected. They are not seen as "smart" or traditional. AIBU to think this is silly and very sexist?

Properjob Thu 11-May-17 23:38:42

YACNBU I've thought this for years. Skirts are sexist and impractical, all children should wear practical clothes for school. Maybe a choice when older. But good luck with that, we are lucky they don't have to wear high heels the way things are going sad

whateveryousay Thu 11-May-17 23:40:11

Yanbu. At our school there is a 'skirt uniform' and a 'trouser uniform', and any pupil can wear either.

Tootsiepops Thu 11-May-17 23:41:19

We went to look at a school for our daughter last week. I have rejected it entirely because the girls are required to wear skirts. It's nonsense.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 11-May-17 23:42:40

But surely girl and boy school trousers are basically the same? Are boys not 'smart' in their school trousers?

Teabagtits Thu 11-May-17 23:45:31

At dd's school they're overlooked if wearing Trousers between october half term holiday and Easter but out of those dates it's a skirt or dress only. It's not official uniform policy but the school don't seem to mind too much as long as it's between those dates. Boys are not made to wear shorts in summer. I hate the one rule for the girls thing.

ZilphasHatpin Thu 11-May-17 23:49:37

It's ridiculous isn't it? In 2017, the 21st century, girls are still being made to wear skirts. What actual benefit is there to the girls of wearing a skirt?

AndNowItIsSeven Thu 11-May-17 23:50:38

Yabu , however clearly not alone in your thinking, as Asda have produced a hideous option to meet your needs.

ZilphasHatpin Thu 11-May-17 23:52:06

Trousers meet her needs.

And why do you think OP is being unreasonable?

DrMadelineMaxwell Thu 11-May-17 23:53:38

Bloody ridiculous. I was teaching at my current primary school when we 'finally' had the conversation about whether to allow girls to wear trousers or not.

That was back in 1997! Ridiculous that the girls can't wear practical clothing of their choice.

chitofftheshovel Thu 11-May-17 23:54:09

I would be seriously unhappy if my DD's school had this policy. In fact I would be making a big deal of it and would probably send DD in in trousers anyway. Absolutely no reason why anyone should have to wear a skirt or dress if they don't want to.

AndNowItIsSeven Thu 11-May-17 23:55:45

Because the girls uniform is not shorts or joggers. And they do look much smarter , school girls have worn dresses/skirts for many, many years.

ZilphasHatpin Thu 11-May-17 23:57:29

Oh what an idiotic response.

EnjoyYourShitCake Thu 11-May-17 23:57:36

andnow a Facebook group I'm on had a post from someone who received a really snotty letter from the head saying they weren't allowed. It HAD to be a skirt.

TheMysteriousJackelope Fri 12-May-17 00:04:08

I am in the US and the first year my DC attended middle school there was a school uniform. The girls could wear trousers (not shorts or joggers) and they looked as smart as the boys. How silly to imply trousers cannot be as smart as skirts. If you are going with the 'girls always wore dresses' argument, well women always wore skirts down to their ankles for centuries until roughly 1918. Using that reasoning every woman since 1918 has been unacceptably casual in her dressing for work and school.

I'm not adverse to skirts for boys either. I went on a hike and met a bearded man in a black cargo skirt. It wasn't very practical for hiking as ticks and poison ivy could go up it, but it didn't look as silly as the concept of a man skirt has seemed to me in the past.

Joffmognum Fri 12-May-17 00:07:53

I hated wearing a skirt. My friends and I did gymnastics and grandstands and cartwheels and we flashed people a LOT.

It does look nice, but is certainly less practical. Kids rip tights a lot too. Fall over once playing and that's a pair in the bin.

Joyofscreamingjoy Fri 12-May-17 00:14:12

No justification whatsoever! I didn't even realise this was still even a discussion - I am shocked. I remember in high school(16 years ago) girls weren't allowed trousers & lots of us got together and done a mini protest girls wore trousers and boys wore skirts. It was amazing. (& maybe something to consider with other parents?)

Napoliforte Fri 12-May-17 07:49:35

I just can't understand it. The word is that the head is very "traditionally minded" and if it came to an argument I really don't know what he would say. All the female staff wear trousers.

froyotogo Fri 12-May-17 08:03:52

No one cares if they see girls hanging upside down in school ground equipment with all of their knickers showing.

Buts it's not right that this happens for every girl. When they reach the end of primary they mostly if not all will have shown their knickers and anything that knickers don't cover if they have slipped.

bigmack Fri 12-May-17 08:11:08

It's ridiculous and sexist. Heads who insist on this rule should have to provide a valid reason.

megletthesecond Fri 12-May-17 08:13:06

Yanbu.

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 12-May-17 08:16:40

It's a terrible school policy, and as long as you didn't choose the school as your preference - just wear shorts, punishments on the student for school uniform failures are considered inappropriate at primary I thought, exclusion certainly is, so there's nowhere the school can go...

sashh Fri 12-May-17 08:19:40

I just can't understand it. The word is that the head is very "traditionally minded" and if it came to an argument I really don't know what he would say

So go for the implying he is a pervert route.

Why do you insist on little girls legs at work? in a polite email.

Garlicansapphire Fri 12-May-17 12:36:32

Ha ha - like is sashh..

And if the rule applies to the children it should also apply to all teachers.

Its completely unreasonable, sexist and old fashioned. It used to be traditional for women to wear corsets, cover their ankles and ride side saddle (even bicycles). Didn't mean it made any sense.

My kids never had a uniform throughout their school careers. The girls still challenged decency guidelines as sexist as teens and put up a good fight through the school council.

WindwardCircle Fri 12-May-17 12:46:23

It's ridiculous and outdated to say girls can't wear trousers and shorts. I'm very glad at DDs school the girls can wear them if they wish, my DD is very mix and match with her uniform, today she's in trousers but she's worn summer dresses and winter skirt, tights and polo combo as well this week.

I remember hating skirts and dresses and railing against the no trousers on girls rule back in the 80s. It's insane that in 2017 the same thing is still going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now