Talk

Advanced search

DD11 threatened by another parent today

(103 Posts)
keepingonrunning Thu 11-May-17 20:43:31

According to DD, she had made a well intentioned but lame joke in class to the group she calls friends. One of this group took it very personally. DD apologised straight away. Friend would not forgive. DD was blanked at break and apologised again. The group of friends still refused to forgive and ran away from her.
At the end of the school day the class teacher sorted it all out. DD and all the friends left happily. Friend who had been offended waved to DD as she was driven past in her car on the way home. However her father leaned out of the car window and said to DD, "You had better behave tomorrow or there will be consequences".
Any considered advice? I have got on ok with these parents in the past on an arranging playdates level. I don't know what to do, if anything.

19lottie82 Thu 11-May-17 20:44:36

What was the joke?

PeaFaceMcgee Thu 11-May-17 20:45:13

What a prick. I'd tell the school she had been intimidated by him.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 11-May-17 20:45:24

I'd do nothing .

keepingonrunning Thu 11-May-17 20:45:32

Ribbing about liking a boy in year 4.
I wouldn't favour contacting the other parents.

EllaElla Thu 11-May-17 20:46:10

What was the joke? Obviously seems like a sensitive topic for the girl/dad in question.

keepingonrunning Thu 11-May-17 20:46:13

. . . ribbing about liking a boy when they were all in year 4.

EllaElla Thu 11-May-17 20:47:09

Sorry x post

ifeelcraptonight Thu 11-May-17 20:47:49

I wouldn't do anything about that.

its not as if he said he was going to batter her

keepingonrunning Thu 11-May-17 20:48:46

Thanks for your points of view.
Back in a little while

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 11-May-17 20:49:12

I can't see that the dad has said anything terrible. Consequences could mean talking to her parents /teacher. He's hardly threatened to slap her.

ollieplimsoles Thu 11-May-17 20:50:06

Christ was that it? Her dad fighting imaginary battles for her because her friend teased her for liking a boy. Id be telling her to get a bit of a thicker skin confused

SaucyJack Thu 11-May-17 20:53:39

I think you should keep your head down, and encourage your DD to do the same.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 11-May-17 20:57:48

Her dad fighting imaginary battles for her because her friend teased her for liking a boy. Id be telling her to get a bit of a thicker skin

Therein layeth the problem. (a) we assume the OPs daughter is the one telling the truth, (b) we assume the girl has told her father the same version the OPs daughter has recounted.

Somewhere in the middle will be the truth.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 11-May-17 20:58:38

Girls sound as bad as each other.

If the teacher had sorted it then there was no need for the other parent to get involved

I think you should just ignore it and tell DD to do the same but to not be so silly tomorrow.

woodhill Thu 11-May-17 20:59:21

Quite pathetic of the dad, what an over reaction.

Instasista Thu 11-May-17 21:01:01

I wouldn't do Anything.

HighwayDragon1 Thu 11-May-17 21:02:34

He told her to behave? I thought you were going to say he'd screamed at her or intimidated her. Maybe he was "joking" too...

ShoesHaveSouls Thu 11-May-17 21:02:36

I would also do nothing. Other than thinking "Pathetic excuse for a man".

Trifleorbust Thu 11-May-17 21:04:47

It sounds like the other girl forgave your DD but was still upset. I would leave this alone for now.

Toysaurus Thu 11-May-17 21:07:13

Only you know the parent to gage any implied meaning. If he is the type of parent to become hostile or violent then tell the teacher. The parents at my child's last school would say things like this to other children in the playground and it meant that they would actually hurt them.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 11-May-17 21:07:14

Don't be such a drama queen! Your DD wasn't 'threatened', she was told to behave herself. Whether it's sorted in school or not, a parent is still entitled to stand up for their child. They don't stop being your child because they're at school.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 11-May-17 21:07:30

Start a feud, send threatening letters, or better still burn their house down.

He's bit of a dick. The world is full of them

YouWhatMate Thu 11-May-17 21:08:04

I would use this opportunity to teach DD about how some people (children and adults) are very sensitive and/or don't always understand how to take a joke/teasing. Explain to her that it's not her fault at all, but maybe she could avoid saying that kind of thing to this friend in the future, now that we know she gets upset so easily. It's a useful enough lesson for an 11 year old.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 11-May-17 21:09:59

Fuck me toysaurus - where the hell were you living?

However, given he's a 'playdate' parent, I doubt he was threatening actual harm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now