Talk

Advanced search

To think it's a bit twee for C4's Super Vet to call animals' owners their 'parents'?

(122 Posts)
InapproOrNo Thu 11-May-17 20:39:33

Every time he says it I'm a bit hmm

Also, how the fuck do these people afford all this treatment? It's like tens of thousands of pounds' worth! Does pet insurance really cover that much?

PaperdollCartoon Thu 11-May-17 20:45:56

I call DP and I our cats parents. I don't feel like we own them, we adopted them. I'm
Fine if that's twee

A relatives dog was recently referred to SuperVet for an injury, it cost about £5000 and they're calling on pet insurance. Yes they pay out that much, my cats insurance covers up to I think £20,000 a year.

toolonglurking Thu 11-May-17 20:50:17

If you don't like it maybe don't watch it?

Most people I have met with pets would refer to themselves as the 'parent' of the pet. I imagine a program called 'Supervet' is aimed at people who like/own pets - seems pretty straightforward to me!

PlayOnWurtz Thu 11-May-17 20:50:18

We are our dogs parents. It's pretty universal for animal owners to be potty grin

Floggingmolly Thu 11-May-17 20:50:34

I get texts from the vet (local, not Supervet) to tell me it's time for my "little one's" vaccination boosters.
The first time I genuinely thought it was from the doctor's surgery about one of the kids.

PlayOnWurtz Thu 11-May-17 20:51:20

And yes pet insurance will cover a lot of things if you get the right policy. Our girl is now a senior so insurance gets a bit sketchy from here.

justnowords Thu 11-May-17 20:51:39

YABU. I am ddogs mummy. Dc think of ddog as a sister grin. What else would they be?

InapproOrNo Thu 11-May-17 20:54:03

This is the first time I've watched it.

I have a cat. I adore her. She's the best cat in the world. But I'm her owner, not her mummy.

I had honestly never heard pet owners be called 'parents' until I switched on this eve.

RustyPaperclip Thu 11-May-17 20:54:20

We have cats. We are their servants grin

ShatnersBassoon Thu 11-May-17 20:55:20

It sounds daft to me and I would have to ask him not to do that if he was treating my pet, but he obviously knows how to please the majority of owners.

user1471453601 Thu 11-May-17 20:55:28

I'm dear dogs Nan. So be it, it's a family thing ain't it?

InapproOrNo Thu 11-May-17 20:55:33

Wow re pet insurance. We have a vet in the immediate family so I haven't got any for puss.

wictional Thu 11-May-17 20:57:09

For us our dog is truly a part of of the family and it feels a bit cold to just say we're his owners. We're constantly referring to dog owners that we see on the regular walks as "Charlie's dad" or "Diva's mum" etc

villainousbroodmare Thu 11-May-17 20:58:01

It's mildly nauseating and rarely correlates with genuine regard for the animal. I recently had a highly emotional client refer to her obstreperous dog as her child in front of her (obviously adopted and totally discomfited) approx 7yo son.

InapproOrNo Thu 11-May-17 20:58:17

Rusty I understand. I idolise my cat. As if she were some kind of Egyptian goddess and I am a peasant serf. She humours me but is largely indifferent.

But I'm not her mummy. Maybe 'worshipper' would be more accurate.

WyfOfBathe Thu 11-May-17 20:58:40

I find it strange as well, but my parents get letters from their vet addressed to "The parents of [Cat's name]" so it seems that it's not just TV vets that do it.

NoFucksImAQueen Thu 11-May-17 20:59:22

Yanbu. Dh calls me mum to the dogs sometimes and it makes me cringe. Love them dearly but no I am not their mother.
It gives me images of giving birth to a dog!😱

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 11-May-17 20:59:31

Our vet fees cover £7.5k of treatment per year, per cat. We pay £12.65/month for a joint policy so it's not very expensive.

My cats are definitely my babies. We rescued them both - one was a malnourished stray who would have died without us, the other came from a home where he was very badly treated and he's finally starting to trust us.

I fully accept I'm odd grin

DontCallMeBaby Thu 11-May-17 21:00:11

DH, who is not normally given to tweeness, refers to me as the cats' mummy. hmm This is clearly ludicrous, as DD is obviously the one cat's mum, while the other cat is some sort of adopted cousin. This is despite the fact the cats are actually brothers. And DD being one cat's mum does NOT make me his gran.

Their insurance only covers £4k a year between them, and that's not cheap insurance. One of them cost £3.5k last May for a single condition; I had to tell them to be really bloody careful until September (renewal) rolled round.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 11-May-17 21:04:47

Yep, mummy to a dog and a cat here. No kids and we can't have them. However they are pets not "furbabies" (hate that phrase!) and are treated, fed and cared for appropriately as the pampered animals they are.
*ignores dog on one sofa and cat on the other*

LoveForTulips Thu 11-May-17 21:05:36

I am defiantly a momma to my many many dogs!
Always have been, I'm fine with 'being twee'

icy121 Thu 11-May-17 21:08:02

I feel sorry for pets with "owners". I'm my cats' mummy.

BonnieF Thu 11-May-17 21:09:13

I think some pet vets do this to emphasise the 'caring' aspect of their services, and to acknowledge that to many pet owners their cat, dog or bunny is part of the family.

Farm vets don't generally refer to their clients as 'ewe 587's mum & dad'grin

PossumInAPearTree Thu 11-May-17 21:10:10

I'm my dogs mum!

I know someone who recently had a dog treated by Noel. Insurance covered the first six thousand. Bill was over ten thousand. He does offer payment plans. I think interest free for the first twelve months, then interest added.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Thu 11-May-17 21:10:43

We are Mummy and Daddy to the cats and the vet is always referred to as "Uncle" (that's a throwback to the local vet when I was a child who always called himself that).

I'm pretty hard faced in every other aspect of my life, but I'm definitely twee when it comes to pets.

I do draw the line at "furbaby" though. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now