Talk

Advanced search

To ask you not to buy fidget spinners or any other shit and let your DCs take them to school?

(348 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

StrongerThanIThought76 Thu 11-May-17 16:00:09

I'm a teacher. The current fad for Things To Piss The Teacher Off In Class is fidget spinners.

Before anyone jumps on me I recognise and accept that for some SEN kids they are a godsend. I know that. I really really do.

But there are so many kids that are now telling anyone in their vicinity that they are to help them focus etc etc.

NO THEY FUCKING DON'T!

They're a distraction not only to the kid in question, to the kids around you and to the poor sod at the front of the room trying to teach.

If your kid has SEN speak to the SENCO at school who will advise you if your kid would be allowed to have one. Even then (as it is in my school) they should only be used when appropriate.

If your kid is 'normal' then please don't send the damn TOYS into school. The only thing most kids should have in their hand during lessons is a pen or pencil!

And don't call in demanding that your kid gets their TOY back immediately - they've had it confiscated because they're pissing about in class. We wouldn't be happy with them playing with an Action Man or remote control car in class, and neither would you be.

Rant over. We have a hard enough time as it is in schools, keep the extra distraction out of the classroom please?

Thankyou

FanaticalFox Thu 11-May-17 16:00:52

Totally agree!

Gowgirl Thu 11-May-17 16:01:27

I'm just glad the bottle flip is finally dead....

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Thu 11-May-17 16:01:40

Sounds fair enough to me op here have a wine and relax

LouHotel Thu 11-May-17 16:02:54

100% its a fad with a clever marketing team.

MagnumAddict Thu 11-May-17 16:03:04

Completely agree although your use of 'normal' got my shackles up.

originalbiglymavis Thu 11-May-17 16:03:51

So irritating when a child has it, but weirdly pleasureable to fiddle with.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 11-May-17 16:04:32

'normal'? Does that mean my child is 'abnormal' or 'not normal'?

StrongerThanIThought76 Thu 11-May-17 16:06:05

Apologies for the 'normal', I meant non-SEN /neuro typical of course, but fully understand that even outside the SEN ranges there can be huge differences.

Twiggy71 Thu 11-May-17 16:06:09

I feel your pain as i work in a special needs school and no the children do not need them out throughout the lessons. If their not spinning the blinkin things they are arguing over taking turns in using them angry

m0therofdragons Thu 11-May-17 16:07:04

Completely agree but dd's teacher gave them all one. I pissed him off by politely returning it as dd doesn't have any trouble concentrating and it was creating a habit for no reason. I'm not patient enough for constant clicking sounds hmm

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 11-May-17 16:07:18

Thanks for the apology.

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Thu 11-May-17 16:07:41

I completely agree with you all these things should be kept out of school unless there is a real need for it. I don't agree with or like your use of the word 'normal' that's bad for a teacher please define the word normal.

originalbiglymavis Thu 11-May-17 16:08:03

They will get bored with them soon. Sooner if they don't realise how irritating they are.

MissEliza Thu 11-May-17 16:08:21

Well said Op. If only it were as easy to control the bottle flip!

GoEasyPudding Thu 11-May-17 16:08:31

Yo Teacher! Chill man.

I'm not enjoying your use of the word "normal" next to your use of the abbreviation SEN.

In the spirit of feedback may I point out that Thank you, is two words.

CheeseQueen Thu 11-May-17 16:09:43

My kids got fidget spinners this week. I don't let them take them into school though. They get played with at home only.
Some parents are feckin' eejits.

RebelRogue Thu 11-May-17 16:10:28

Our school banned them! Brilliant!

I actually had a parent and their child demand i search all the trays,books and pat the other children down as his had gone missing.

Timeforabiscuit Thu 11-May-17 16:11:27

Dds school is clear with having no spinners in lessons and these are only for playground use (unless needed for the above exceptions).

Im just glad this fad is a one off cost of 2.50!

StrongerThanIThought76 Thu 11-May-17 16:11:41

Apologies again. I have worked closely with many students of all ages with additional needs; sometimes parents of kids who are not affected in this way do refer to their own kids as 'normal' rather than neuro typical. I did not mean to cause any offence

kali110 Thu 11-May-17 16:14:09

I'm really annoyed by this fad. I've had a spinner and other types of these toys for months and months now. It helps with my anxiety. Now the whole world amd his dog has one.

Floggingmolly Thu 11-May-17 16:14:34

Our school have just banned them too.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 11-May-17 16:15:05

Yanbu

I laugh at the social media mummies outraged that their little darlings aren't allowed to play with a TOY in lessons!

Obviously a child with SEN isn't included in the general frustration with them.

For NT children they're a distraction. For a child who's mind is racing and can't sit still, they can help them focus. But for the majority of children they're a distraction from whatever they're supposed to be doing.

StrongerThanIThought76 Thu 11-May-17 16:15:16

GoEasy may I thank you for your feedback, Google tells me there are three ways to use thank you/thank-you/thankyou.

Every day is a school day!

ExplodedCloud Thu 11-May-17 16:15:55

Our school have banned them. SEN excepted I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now