Talk

Advanced search

Picnic at the park...

(70 Posts)
DorkMaiden Thu 11-May-17 15:03:10

Err, genuinely a bit gobsmacked by what happened today at the park an would like to know if IWBU...

I took my PFB (11 months) to the park for a picnic at lunchtime. Our park is on a big playing field, with equipment for older kids scattered around the main field, and a smaller area fenced off for younger children. Park was practically empty, except for some people on the far side of the big field, and the odd dog walker passing through. I took my DS into the fenced area for younger children (empty at the time) and laid a picnic blanket on the floor for us to sit on. Deliberately chose a bit of grass tucked away by the fence and out of the way of any equipment etc. The fenced bit is quite a big area with lots of grassy space, so thought this would be OK. They had just mowed the main field, so lots of grass clippings, and also potential for dog poo, which I didn't fancy as DS is now crawling. The grass in the fenced off area is always kept nice and short, plus is strictly no dogs allowed.

Anyhow, we had a little play on the swings and slide and then settled on our blanket for lunch. Hadn't been sat down more than a minute or two when a lady turned up with two DC. I smiled as she entered the park, and she gave me a very frosty look. We carried on having our picnic, but I saw her give me a few nasty glares, which was a bit disconcerting. They can't have been there more than five minutes when she said to her DC, "Come on we are going". As she was leaving she said to me "Thanks for making us feel uncomfortable at the park, this isn't your garden you know. Fucking selfish cow" and stormed off. shock

I honestly don't know what I did wrong? I hadn't left any litter out and has a small blanket on the floor, with a couple of toys, for my small crawling baby. I parked my pram neatly by the side of the blanket, which was laid down out of the way of any equipment etc. I was fully dressed, as was DS. We just sat on the blanket, eating sandwiches and chatting (well I chatted anyway, DS was more intent on wiping carrot and cream cheese all over my legs and isn't much of a conversationalist at 11 months) Can Mumsnet help, did I do anything wrong?

user1493022461 Thu 11-May-17 15:05:24

People are crazy. Don't let it bother you.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 11-May-17 15:05:36

She sounds like a nut job. HTH.

However, a diagram is required at this point.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 11-May-17 15:06:46

Not answering her back was your only error!!
Sorry didn't realise you paid rent and
council tax for the park madam. .
Or sure someone else will come along with smarter response shortly. .

DearMrDilkington Thu 11-May-17 15:07:10

Sounds like she was having a bad day and for some reason decided to take it out on you.

I don't think you did anything wrong, maybe she wanted you to offer her a sarnie?confused

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Thu 11-May-17 15:07:20

I don't think you did anything wrong. Even if she did feel uncomfortable (and I can't quite get why she would) then that was no excuse for her to speak to you that way. I hope this hasn't put you off getting out and about with your wee one now the weather is nicer.

Jussayingisall Thu 11-May-17 15:07:31

You did nothing wrong. Ignore and move on smile

Soubriquet Thu 11-May-17 15:08:15

You did nothing wrong!!

She was very rude

Don't give it anymore thoughts.

putdownyourphone Thu 11-May-17 15:10:46

What?! Parks are literally there for picnics! What does she do when she goes to a busy park full of parent and kids all playing and picnicking? Leave? Does she leave every park in the summer? I would have had to ask what she was on about.

Spottybasket Thu 11-May-17 15:11:55

She does sound like a nutjob. I've done similar before OP, I don't think you've BU!

MsAnnThropic Thu 11-May-17 15:12:31

Definitely not you... she was being an arse!

nInachu Thu 11-May-17 15:19:28

What an idiot. You did nothing wrong at all.

SweetDee33 Thu 11-May-17 15:24:00

Don't give it a second thought. You did absolutely nothing wrong at all.

TheWitTank Thu 11-May-17 15:26:57

Bonkers. You obviously did nothing wrong, some people are just peculiar. Keep on enjoying your picnics!

user3459859083590890 Thu 11-May-17 15:29:30

She sounds bonkers. Don't let it spoil a lovely day. Maybe she's having a bad time and the green-eyed monster took her over when she saw you all having a nice picnic. Who the hell knows? Who the hell should care?

flowers

HildaOg Thu 11-May-17 15:31:16

She's batshit. Picnics in the park are lovely and perfectly normal.

WateryTart Thu 11-May-17 15:31:52

The only thing you did wrong was not provide a diagram.

Kokusai Thu 11-May-17 15:31:57

Sometimes, out of nowhere, totally unprovoked, you have these totally horrible interactions with people.

It has happened a couple of times in my life.

I just think they are either 1) batshit or 2) having something really terrible going on in their lives and thank god I don't live with them / I am not them.

Libbylove2015 Thu 11-May-17 15:32:50

Another vote for YANBU - sorry this happened to you. Bonkers old bat - shrug off and move on.

Karma will sort her out for you!

SemiNormal Thu 11-May-17 15:33:18

Clearly YANBU. You should have thrown a pork pie at her!

SemiNormal Thu 11-May-17 15:34:35

Bonkers old bat - There's always one. Can you just please not with the ageist bullshit? hmm

anothermalteserplease Thu 11-May-17 15:35:10

You did nothing wrong at all.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 11-May-17 15:35:49

Oh come on! Why on earth have you given this so much weight in your day?! The woman is cracked, totally & utterly cracked! Don't let stupid people like this waste more of your time than it takes to roll your eyes.

DorkMaiden Thu 11-May-17 15:36:34

I wish I had had a pork pie (although not to throw, I would have eaten it immediately). I had a thoroughly disappointing wrap from the shop instead (I made DS a lovely lunch but forgot myself).

I did think perhaps she was just having a dreadful day, but then the doubt crept in and I started wondering if I had broken some park code somehow?!

loaferloveforyou Thu 11-May-17 15:36:55

Was you watching them play which she viewed as you staring at them?

That's the only thing I can think of (and even then it doesn't really warrant her reaction).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now