Talk

Advanced search

Denying access to cable for neighbours

(269 Posts)
EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 10-May-17 17:12:56

So I got a letter in the post from Virgin Media who are in our locality.

They want me to give permission to lay cable down my drive to access the houses behind.

I live in an old farmhouse with a big front/back garden- before we moved in after the "field" at the back was sold and 3 houses built on it.

They have access to their property via my drive - but I own the drive.

I've done a very shitty picture to illustrate...R is road, G is garden and D is Drive. My house is the rectangle.

It's not to scale. The drive is very long and we spent a lot of money block paving it when we moved in.

I'm not at all keen on this being ripped up and botched reinstated.

As we are on the Main Street we would get access to Virgin services regardless. Allowing the work gains us nothing - apart from stress and hassle.

However if I deny the work then my neighbours can't take this service.

AIBU to refuse access?

Creampastry Wed 10-May-17 17:17:20

Can't they just use sky?

TwitterQueen1 Wed 10-May-17 17:18:17

No I don't think you are BU.

I would wait and see if the neighbours approach you. If there was a fault anywhere though, would you be responsible for allowing engineers on your property to fix it? What additional hassle would it cause?

And you're right, the drive would never be put back to its original state.

MarcelineQueen Wed 10-May-17 17:20:04

A little bit U, but I get it. I'd want to be fairly compensated for the time off work required to double check they were relaying the flags correctly

EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 10-May-17 17:21:06

I haven't approached the neighbours about it blush

To be honest they may not be bothered and problem is solved.

But...if they are then there is a huge amount of potential to sour good relations.

expatinscotland Wed 10-May-17 17:21:10

YANBU. Would not allow this. Your insurance might not cover, either, if anyone is injured whilst carrying out this work. NFW.

Creampastry Wed 10-May-17 17:22:19

Surely the neighbours have approached virgin and asked for this. Virgin wouldnt do this without good reason.

BollardDodger Wed 10-May-17 17:22:21

Trouble is, once you've given them permission to lay their cable, does that then automatically give them the right to access your property in future for maintenance? It might be worth charging them an annual fee to use your property. Or negotiating free Virgin Media for the rest of time or something?

NellieFiveBellies Wed 10-May-17 17:23:34

who would be responsible for fixing it and how would access be arranged and how would they compensate you for inconvenience?
is it that they cant come in from a different angle? what is behind or to the side of the houses?

id be worried that at some point theyd try to make you responsible for the cable on your property, you know, like water companies do with pipes. i dont know if they could do it.

if you did decide to go ahead you could say cash for repairing the drive not them repairing it.

EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 10-May-17 17:24:32

There is also the likelihood of the work obstructing the drive for everyone.

I'm also worried about the cars tbh as well. My diagram is rubbish but we use the drive for parking (the garage is a man cave for motorbikes).

We have - ahem - silly expensive cars and I'm not keen on parking on the road whilst work is done or either being next to a big digger sad

franciemczoo Wed 10-May-17 17:25:13

Don't do it, OP. They did our road recently and made a hell of a mess. The pathways were all dug up and very sloppily filled back in. They'll never be able to put your driveway back as it is.

Say no. I wouldn't say anything to the neighbours unless they ask you about it and then tell them your reasons why. No reasonable person will argue with you.

Virgin media is not essential- it's not like it's water and electricity going to the houses.

alpacawhacker Wed 10-May-17 17:26:19

Does the letter actually state that they will have to take up the paving? If not, it's possible they're going to do it by a method called moling, which doesn't require this to happen. Maybe you need to contact Virgin and find out exactly what they're proposing to do.

PuppyMonkey Wed 10-May-17 17:26:25

It's not like Virgin TV is an essential service! grin

Somerville Wed 10-May-17 17:27:23

Virgin Media have form for laying cable in case residents might then want it. So I wouldn't immediately say yes.

However, if your neighbours do actively want it then they could have the right to having it laid up your drive (and then 'made good') under their access rights, I believe. Certainly in my old house, where we had rights of way over a neighbour's land, this included for water/drainage/services, and cable was connected as a result. Hopefully a solicitor will come along to clarify.

If I were you I'd say no to VM, but check my deeds in readiness in case a neighbour comes along asking.

ajandjjmum Wed 10-May-17 17:27:32

I wouldn't. Probably would feel guilty, but even so - we've all seen the state that pavements and roads get left in by these contractors. The ground would probably sink once the blocks were re-set, so you'd get an uneven finish.

EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 10-May-17 17:27:37

I rang Virgin yesterday and told them I wanted someone to come to the site and explain what was involved.

I got offered to see some civil plans and a remediation contract. I've still not received this....or any confirmation of a visit despite the letter saying we will arrange to discuss in person.

The engagement was very lacklustre if I'm honest. Part of the angst....

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Wed 10-May-17 17:27:51

Virgin Media are currently for the past 3 months laying cable down our road.

Based on the standard of care they've shown here, I wouldn't let them dig up my private property without a contract saying they will reinstate the drive as it was before or better OR they will pay for proper contractors to come in and make good.

The trouble is, once the cables are there, if anything goes wrong they'll just come and dig again won't they?

What's in it for you? apart from good neighbourly relations I suppose. Are they offering any monetary compensation?

terrylene Wed 10-May-17 17:28:36

How do they get their other services (water, electricity, sewerage etc) ? What do your deeds say is included in the access?

user1493759849 Wed 10-May-17 17:28:37

YANBU. I would not allow it either. When the people bought the 3 properties, they KNEW that you owned the drive, and so it's tough shit really.

We don't have Virgin at ALL where I live (semi rural,) and we have been told they will NEVER come out here.... We all have BT, Plusnet, or Sky (for tv AND internet and phone...) Your neighbours will have to do the same.

Thing is, if there are issues in the future, Virgin will be along digging up your drive. Fuck that. Say no. Say sorry to your neighbours, but it's not something you are prepared to compromise on.

AnnetteCurtains Wed 10-May-17 17:29:59

I'd say no
Just think of potential problems in the future
They bought their house knowing they didn't have virgin
Not your problem

EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 10-May-17 17:30:08

No compensation has been discussed.

I haven't raised this either - I'm at step 2 and that feels like step 5 :-)

Thank you for the points raised about future maintenance and access - had not considered that.

TheWitTank Wed 10-May-17 17:30:18

I don't think yabu. I wouldn't be keen either. The disruption, potential future issues (will they have to dig up again for problems etc) the quality of the block paving they reinstate, access while work is carried out. Have you asked about timescales and compensation? Who would be reinstating the paving (you don't want some bodge job).

sonjadog Wed 10-May-17 17:31:14

I would stay open to the idea, but I would want to discuss it with Virgin and I would want a very clear agreement/ contract with them on what they were going to go and how they were going to fix it up afterwards. If they comply, then I would let them do the work.

youaredeluded Wed 10-May-17 17:31:18

Just say no.

EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 10-May-17 17:31:20

Deeds I would have to dig out.

I know they have right of way for vehicles for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now