Talk

Advanced search

To fed up with preschool

(5 Posts)
Soulcakequack Wed 10-May-17 14:45:50

Before Easter my sons preschool told me they were concerned about his developmental. Understandably they offered no labels but heavily hinted at ASD. They said they felt he needed a 1:1 and would be getting an inclusion officer to observe him as a matter of urgency.

I'm an early years teacher and have been concerned that he is struggling to gain social skills and receptive speech. So I wasnt a huge surprise but the level of concern shocked me.

Over the last month Ive arranged a private SLT assessment and I'm starting the long slow process of getting NHS support out in place. The SLT assessment showed signs of a serious speech disorder.

I've kept preschool totally in the loop and the main suggestions are support with social skills, not forcing eye contact and rephrasing questions to a simpler level. All of which I feel should be doable.

However despite being told he needs a one to one a month ago. Now I'm worrying too much, the inclusion officer isn't needed till next term and he is stubborn rather than struggling with communication.

It's such a huge reversal from last month. I'm very confused and pissed off.

BackforGood Wed 10-May-17 23:23:40

I'm not sure what you are asking really.

Is it just if YABU to be annoyed that they seem less concerned this term than before Easter?

Are they refusing to put into place the strategies your SaLT has suggested?

Have they said the Inclusion support isn't needed or isn't available? Do they have a limited number of hours / times they have bought in and maybe your ds isn't as big a priority as another child?
Are you upset they have called him stubborn (which I agree, is not a very professional word to be using)?

Ask them to share the observations they have that demonstrate he isn't struggling with communication. Ask them how it is that they know better than a SaLT.

Soulcakequack Thu 11-May-17 08:05:16

Honestly it's the switch from this is urgent we need a 1:1 ( which as an early years teacher I know is a huge step) to don't worry it's all fine. This is not ok, it's a huge thing to tell a parent that their childs development is a concern. More than x needs to work on y. And shouldn't be done lightly and in unplanned way. It feels like they over stated things 'to make me listen' and now I'm on board they're back tracking.

I'm sure it's due to funding and I totally understand the need to prioritise those children with highest needs. In this case as there are no new children, I'm sure the time and money needs to be spent on those children starting school in September.

However some honest open communication would help. Either he is settled and their less worried or they can't fund it. Not a total denial on the issues they raised.

As it goes he is stubborn at times, add that to the language issues and getting him follow instructions can be a nightmare. But the most basic support of phrasing the question as you would for a 2 year old not a 3 year old works 80% of the time. Id expect most people working in a nursery to be able to that. I'm sure there are issues and I'm happy to work with them on behaviour.

enterthedragon Thu 11-May-17 08:42:40

When is he due to start school?

Soulcakequack Fri 12-May-17 11:12:52

He starts school next year, so there is time to put the right support for school next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now