Talk

Advanced search

Regarding council

(15 Posts)
Fireandflames666 Wed 10-May-17 12:08:59

So they started assessing my housing and council tax claim yesterday. Today i get letters asking for full council tax and to pay a month's tax for when i wasn't even living in the property!. I've rang them and they frozen my account until my claim is finished.

Aibu to think that it's bloody well cheeky to send me bills two days after i handed all my information in to then send me a full bill when I'm entitled to reduced tax due to income support?. Anybody been through similar?. I'm stressing out...again!.

Seeline Wed 10-May-17 12:11:20

It'll be two different sections working independently.

They've frozen your account now until the other matter is sorted, so there's no problem.

It's not cheeky.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 10-May-17 12:13:37

It's not cheeky, it may have been generated before you stuff was received, they haven't processed your claim yet.

Maggy74653 Wed 10-May-17 12:16:05

It will probably be two completely different sections working on each and the bills were likely to be generated and posted automatically. They have dealt with the problem and frozen the account so I don't think you really have anything to complain about.

rjay123 Wed 10-May-17 12:18:24

Seriously - this is stressing you out? Christ.

ExplodedCloud Wed 10-May-17 12:20:46

It'll have been printed out and in the post by yesterday surely?

hazeydays14 Wed 10-May-17 12:23:50

When I moved into my flat I was entitled to discount because I was living with a student (they are exempt). They sent me a full bill with an account number, I presume automatically when they opened an account. They then sent the discounted bill once the proof had been assessed. No stress caused, no overpayments made. Just takes them a little longer to assess the info you provide and 2 days isn't very long.

Fireandflames666 Wed 10-May-17 12:24:40

I'm stressing because it's the first time I've ever claimed anything and i suffer from anxiety and depression. Just worried I'll be in debt before I've even started living on my own (breakdown of relationship).

blueskyinmarch Wed 10-May-17 12:25:41

There is no point stressing. You have contacted them and they have frozen the account until your claim is sorted. Seems fair. They wouldn't have known you were going to make a claim when these letters were generated and now they do. They aren't asking you to pay anything at all until it is sorted. What else do you want them to do?

watchoutformybutt Wed 10-May-17 12:26:23

If it arrived yesterday it was probably already in the post when you handed that stuff in. It's an error. Don't worry about it.

Auspiciouspanda Wed 10-May-17 12:28:15

Im a housing benefit & council tax support assessor

The letter you will have received is automated and would have been sent days before we looked at your claim - ctax is also a completely different department.

When I look at a claim I will put a cts hold on a ctax account but if the letters already gone out there's nothing I can do unfortunately.

You've called and sorted it out for now. Your claim will be assessed and then you will be sent a revised bill.

listsandbudgets Wed 10-May-17 12:28:42

don't worry OP its just things crosssing over on the post. Sometimes ive paid a bill then a couple of days later had a reminder . Midly annoying but perfectly normal.

scaryteacher Wed 10-May-17 12:30:57

The l/l or agent will have informed them of the change in tenant, and you are liable for CTax from the start date of the tenancy, irrespective of whether you've moved in or not.

The bill will have been generated by that. They don't know you will claiming benefits until your application to do so arrives.

Babyroobs Wed 10-May-17 12:39:40

Maybe the letter had already been sent out before you handed in your statements?

Fireandflames666 Wed 10-May-17 12:45:36

Thanks guys, it's just all new to me, lol.

I should stop thinking everyone is out to get me. I'M DEFINITELY BU! 😂.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now