Talk

Advanced search

Theresa May interview on the One Show

(72 Posts)
HelloPossums Tue 09-May-17 22:55:40

Okay, maybe I am being a tiny bit unreasonable, but if else also saw this (or caught up on iPlayer), I cringed quite a bit when TM said that 'there's 'boy jobs' and 'girl jobs'. She said this just after her husband made a joke about taking the bins out, when they were asked about what decisions they make as a couple.

First of all, I understand that it's meant to be a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment and not totally serious, especially as she's PM and as her husband, by all appearances, appears to be a really valuable source of support for her. I have to say I do like TM and her husband as a couple, from what we see of them, and I like the way that they do seem to come across as a very supportive and united partnership.

But it was just the comment that I didn't like - I found it a bit twee and unnecessary. What does everyone else think?

PlayOnWurtz Tue 09-May-17 22:57:30

I think, even as a feminist, it's a twee way of saying his and hers jobs. It could be she does the bins he does the cooking and they're the pink and blue jobs but it came out wrong.

I liked them as a couple they seem more human than the Blair's did

Nicemil1 Tue 09-May-17 23:07:49

Oh ffs I am an agonised labour voter who isn't! But it was a joke

You know a joke. Couples joke wink

HelloPossums Tue 09-May-17 23:11:21

Play I agree, they do seem a bit more human and at ease than the Blairs! And the Camerons

Tortycat Tue 09-May-17 23:15:23

I like him ( a lot more than her) but yes hate grown adults referring to themselves as girl and boy

HelloPossums Tue 09-May-17 23:19:27

Tortycat I think that's it! That's what made it seem twee, probably - the whole thing of adults referring to themselves in some way or other as 'boys' and 'girls'. And I'm with you there too - I do prefer him to her! He sounds quite sweet smile

Chloe84 Tue 09-May-17 23:20:38

The only boy's job, or any job, he could think of was taking the bin out.

I doubt either of them do much work around the house. It's all to show how normal they are.

hiveofactivity Wed 10-May-17 09:57:06

The entire 'interview' was drivel and cringe making.
Yes please do tell us about your shoes/who cooks dinner/your wedding day.
We are the ignorant peasant masses going starry eyed over your inherent superiority.

And if they didn't want it to appear scripted they should perhaps have made sure the 'live' subtitles had some spelling/word errors in. The rest of the One Show subtitles had the usual errors then it would be word perfect every time they went back to TM.
FFS it just left me feeling TM thinks we're all complete numpties.

joolspoon Wed 10-May-17 10:00:18

Have you seen the clip on you tube. At 8.40mins you can here her being prompted as she's forgotten her words

SynysterGates Wed 10-May-17 10:01:53

it was all so false

Clawdy Wed 10-May-17 10:03:50

They came across to me as a pleasant, supremely boring couple who you would avoid at a neighbour's get-together.

ProudConservative Wed 10-May-17 10:04:33

I thought they came across as quite likable in the interview and didn't even notice the boy/girl jobs comment.

Chloe84

I think relatable rather than normal. TM (or any PM) is, by definition abnormal. Intelligent, quick witted, politically savvy etc.

We all know what Tories see as 'jobs fit for girls' anyway ... Prime Minister of GB and NI.

HeadDreamer Wed 10-May-17 10:06:54

I think it is a ok for them to say it because clearly TM and her husband is not in typical boy/girl jobs relationship. It's her trying to play down her hard woman image. It will be totally different if it comes from a male PM and his not so successful career wise wife.

MrsMarigold Wed 10-May-17 10:07:45

I'm sure Lynton Crosby didn't give this the green light, I think she should keep her DH out of it, it was poor PR management in my opinion.

hiveofactivity Wed 10-May-17 10:54:23

And why do we need to hear from Philip May?? Is he running for PM? Is he a member of the cabinet?

Lets just go the whole hog and emulate puerile US political campaigning. Complete with cheerleaders.

PavlovianLunge Wed 10-May-17 10:57:53

I'll just leave this here.

runloganrun101 Wed 10-May-17 10:59:50

I thought it was sweet. They definitely come across as a solid partnership.

MaudGonneMad Wed 10-May-17 11:01:06

A strong and stable partnership, you might say

Nicemil1 Wed 10-May-17 11:02:34

It was what it was really thought thry came across pretty well really. We joke about girls jobs and boys jobs it's just a joke.

Nicemil1 Wed 10-May-17 11:04:24

pavlovian watch it you are being influenced and manipulated winkby the left wing press!

MaudGonneMad Wed 10-May-17 11:05:28

John Crace is on a roll with his Kim-Jong May articles grin

hiveofactivity Wed 10-May-17 11:05:42

Pavlovian - priceless grin

Still at least we don't have to worry about the economy, the decimation of public services, the crumbling NHS or destruction of state education.
The investment banker and his wife are very stable.

Valentine2 Wed 10-May-17 11:06:35

I think that for quite a few people, this was a trigger and certainly not a joke.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 10-May-17 11:07:50

I thought they were fine. Must be tough doing that kind of appearance.

Valentine2 Wed 10-May-17 11:08:50

And she is the prime minister FFS. She should have said: we do it together and that's it.
Half the Relationships threads are about this issue and I am sure she really prevailed her to never do much of the said "jobs" anyway so what do we know. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now