Talk

Advanced search

To continue to boycott Eurovision

(107 Posts)
ForalltheSaints Tue 09-May-17 20:02:30

It is something from a different age, when technology was in its infancy and when the war was a very recent memory.

Now it is something that just allows petty nationalism and/or hatred of some countries to have an outlet. Even before Brexit we never came close to winning, yet music from British artists sells by the bucket load across many parts of the continent. Just go into a record shop in France or Germany, for example.

Our licence fee can be better spent (or reduced), and if there are still is a demand for it, then one of the commercial channels can broadcast it.

AIBU therefore to continue to boycott it?

HarrietKettleWasHere Tue 09-May-17 20:03:19

YABU.

It's one night of the year. And it's fun. I don't care who wins.

bigmack Tue 09-May-17 20:03:21

We don't win because we send amateurs.

ilovesooty Tue 09-May-17 20:04:25

Please yourself. It's one of the highlights of my year.

wasonthelist Tue 09-May-17 20:04:44

YANBU it is utter utter shite and always has been.

HarrietKettleWasHere Tue 09-May-17 20:04:57

Well, Bonnie Tyler wasn't an amateur to be fair. I don't think that's why we don't win. I just don't think we 'do' Eurovision very well in content/delivery. I have much more fun watching all the other entries.

Bantanddec Tue 09-May-17 20:05:37

It's shit, but good!

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 09-May-17 20:06:09

I'm going to be watching it in a karaoke drag bar in Berlin. Nobody will be spoiling my fun grin

wasonthelist Tue 09-May-17 20:06:51

We don't win because we send amateurs.
No - we don't win because it's no longer about having a song so shit it appeals to people in a wide range of countries with shit music.
We send amateurs now (we didn't always) because no sane artist wants their career tainted by it.

HarrietKettleWasHere Tue 09-May-17 20:07:25

I actually wish it wasn't quite as 'slick' as it's become in recent years but could be a little more like the glorious cheese-fest of old.

Still love it though. My local is putting it in the big screen and we are having a party.

ShiningArmour Tue 09-May-17 20:09:30

It's a big favourite in my family, despite the predictable voting.

EdmundCleverClogs Tue 09-May-17 20:10:09

That's nice.

I'll be watching it as I have been since I was a child, with a curry and a sense of humour. Sadly no booze this year for me, but it's still a great evening I'm highly looking forward to.

So boycott to your hearts content, it makes no odds to anyone.

BelleTheSheepdog Tue 09-May-17 20:10:30

It used to be fun.

I have given up on it.

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Tue 09-May-17 20:13:46

I'm sure the dingabingbong Moldovans will be taking to the streets to beg you to watch. Complete with their grandmother in her rocking chair if necessary.

I don't watch 'Enders because it's shit, but I'd never call it a "boycott" which would mean my opinion counted for something..

LisaMed1 Tue 09-May-17 20:14:01

If you have subtitles on, sometimes the songs are translated into English and it's even more cheesy. I don't watch it sober.

SmokeCloak Tue 09-May-17 20:14:15

It's not the same without Terry Wigan.

wasonthelist Tue 09-May-17 20:17:40

I don't watch 'Enders because it's shit, but I'd never call it a "boycott" which would mean my opinion counted for something..
Excellent point well made, and I agree about Knobenders.

Allice Tue 09-May-17 20:17:52

I'm trying to boycott it but my 12 year old is obsessed, she's been counting down for weeks, she's beside herself with excitement. She knows the name of every act and every song, Moldova is her favourite

NerrSnerr Tue 09-May-17 20:18:22

Personally I'll be watching it but YANBU to not watch it- the joy of free will.

bigmack Tue 09-May-17 20:19:46

Why 'boycott' it? Just don't watch it!

EssentialHummus Tue 09-May-17 20:19:46

I love Eurovision. Sadly all my friends are sober lawyery types and I've no-one to go with to a gay bar dressed as the blonde one from Abba life ambition, right there.

Reow Tue 09-May-17 20:20:53

We don't win because we're always shite.

HarrietKettleWasHere Tue 09-May-17 20:21:19

Has anyone actually been to watch it for real in whichever country was hosting? I would LOVE to go and see it live.

not in Sweden though as it's so difficult to get tipsy due to rigid alcohol laws

Janey50 Tue 09-May-17 20:22:48

YANBU. I can't get my head round the fact that we never win ( well not nowadays anyway,1997 was the last time) yet in musical terms,this country punches well above it's weight. I just don't get it. I also dislike the 'neighbour' voting (or whatever it's called),e.g. Sweden vote for Norway and vice versa,Ireland votes for UK and vice versa etc,also the not voting for countries they 'dislike' e.g. Turkey won't vote for Greece.

PuppyMonkey Tue 09-May-17 20:24:34

Silly person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now