Talk

Advanced search

Just get a new one!?

(96 Posts)
sleepystate Tue 09-May-17 09:56:26

First time posting here so here goes...

When we got married, a few years ago, a friend of DH's went off piste on our wedding gift list and bought us another item(something functional) instead. We did mention we needed one, so it was quite thoughtful but we mostly had "nice to have" things on our list! The "annoying" thing was that it isn't a model or brand I wanted. But as someone had bought us one, it always seemed pointless to buy one over these years and it has worked fine.
Now my mum has offered to buy us something as a gift, so I have asked for this item. My DH was against it as this thing still worked "fine"! He said there are better things she could get us. Having this (newer version)item would make my life so much easier, especially now with children. WIBU, if I just went ahead and tell mum to just get it anyway?

Sorry it's not very specific, want to stay anonymous obvs, and I'm sure there are worst things in the world to worry about. But I would like some mumsnetters' perspectives .... so lay them on me please!

sunshinesupermum Tue 09-May-17 09:58:01

As it's YOUR Mum not his I would accept her gift graciously!

MyheartbelongstoG Tue 09-May-17 10:00:59

I hate wedding lists.

FanaticalFox Tue 09-May-17 10:02:17

I would need to know what it is to give an opinion.

strugglinghuman Tue 09-May-17 10:03:17

Your mum wants to buy you a gift.

Where does DH's opinion fit in this picture, is he paying for it or something?

isupposeitsverynice Tue 09-May-17 10:03:31

Without knowing what it is, it sounds like you're being a bit unreasonable really, if the old one is perfectly serviceable.

ijustwannadance Tue 09-May-17 10:04:29

Is it a cordess dyson you want? grin

Wando1986 Tue 09-May-17 10:05:12

Washing machine! smile

ijustwannadance Tue 09-May-17 10:05:13

*cordless!

londonfever Tue 09-May-17 10:05:36

If it makes your life easier go for it...it's a gift so not costing you anything...

isupposeitsverynice Tue 09-May-17 10:11:48

Oh if it's a cordless Dyson then I retract my previous statement, because I want one too.

Pinkheart5917 Tue 09-May-17 10:18:55

Your mum wants to buy you a gift Um no her mum wants to buy them a gift Now my mum has offered to buy us something as a gift So I would assume that's why her dh gets an opinion!

Personally of something is working as it should be, I do think it's a waste of money to buy a different brand of that product.

It may depend on what the product is? If it's a hoover I'd stick with the one that's working as it should be, if it's a washing machine and you need a bigger one with the dc that may be different

MissBax Tue 09-May-17 10:22:00

I hate waste so would use the current one till on its last legs.

FluffyWhiteTowels Tue 09-May-17 10:22:05

Cordless dyson is the way forward

<ok so back to the thread>

DJBaggySmalls Tue 09-May-17 10:22:54

Ask your Mum to buy the thing and sell the old one. then use the cash for something you need.

FluffyWhiteTowels Tue 09-May-17 10:23:22

If the original is X years old now it may well stop working soon so better to get a new one now as a gift 🎁

RitaMills Tue 09-May-17 10:23:35

He mum wants to buy them a gift strugglinghuman, that's where the DH opinion comes in.

What is the item OP? nosey grin

RhiWrites Tue 09-May-17 10:23:49

It's probably something like a bread maker or a food mixer. If you're the one who uses it and it doesn't suit you, why not get the one you want?

It's frustrating to be tied to an item because it still works when it's not quite what you want. Does your husband really think the only reason to replace anything is breakage?

Willyorwonte Tue 09-May-17 10:24:22

Drop anonymous item down the stairs.
When it's broken, replace it.
Can you give the one you have to anyone else to enjoy?

Wotshudwehave4T Tue 09-May-17 10:25:49

Depends it you have space for both eg Hoover upstairs in cupboard and one down, but if it's something like a washing machine- will they plumb in side by side/garage or will you have to get rid of one. I think the discussion with DH over what you will do with the other one is the route to your answer.

LadyLapsang Tue 09-May-17 10:25:57

Does this friends visit and will he notice it has gone? Otherwise, just get a new one and give away / donate the other one somewhere appropriate.

Floggingmolly Tue 09-May-17 10:33:29

How would your life be made so much easier by a shinier newer version of something that works perfectly well?
And wtf is it?

Turquoisa Tue 09-May-17 10:36:57

Your DH is right, why create more things for landfill. If it's working and does the job well , you should keep it.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 09-May-17 10:39:30

Depends what it is

HotelEuphoria Tue 09-May-17 10:42:00

Is it a cordess dyson you want? grin

ha ha ha that is exactly what I was going to say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now