Talk

Advanced search

Driving Test

(29 Posts)
CanicallyaEddie Mon 08-May-17 15:46:42

Have posted in another topic but very few replies and I am stressing about it so posting here for traffic 😬
I have my driving test tomorrow and was wondering if anybody has any tips for me? Other than staying calm and collected and not killing anybody 😬 it's my first test and I desperately want to pass. I'm not a nervous driver and would say I am capable of passing but I keep making silly mistakes such as forgetting my checks and am sometimes hesitant at busy junctions. I've been told by my instructor that all these things will go against me so I am stressing a little about that. Is there anything that helped you pass? Anything you wish you had done differently or that you didn't know? Any advice gratefully received! smile

31weeksgone Mon 08-May-17 15:49:37

Following, I need to take my test soon and I'm still too nervous blush good luck! Sure you'll be fine. Just make sure to check your blind spot grin

Moanyoldcow Mon 08-May-17 15:55:08

I failed twice in my early twenties and got disillusioned so left it until I was 34. I passed then and it was completely different because I felt really prepared and in control. In the lead up my instructor kept saying 'you know how to do it, just do it on the day' and she was right. Just remember they are looking for a calm safe drive - it doesn't have to be flawless - they want to see how you cope. They won't look for reasons to fail you. I stalled my car in my final test (hadn't done that for 8 weeks!) and forgot to cancel a signal. But I dealt, didn't panic and it was fine.

Good luck - you'll be fine.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 08-May-17 15:57:57

My instructor tried to make me see a Dr for beta blockers I was so nervous!!
Second option was 2 paracetamol to keep temp down when stressed. .!
And a Mars for energy!!
I passed!!
Good luck!!

FannyWisdom Mon 08-May-17 16:05:38

There is no limit on tests.

I wish I had remembered that and not put ridiculous pressure on myself.

It's not great to fail but even if you do you can test again with the fail as experience. Drive safely, concentrate on being a safe driver the examiner will be more likely to forgive a minor position or hesitation fault if it's because you are being safe.
Talk if you are chatty. Don't sit mute it builds up.

Good luck!

user1493841671 Mon 08-May-17 16:06:15

I failed my first attempt within 5 minutes which was awful as I had to carry on driving, knowing I'd mucked up.
I passed on my second attempt with two minors, one for stalling as my legs were shaking so much blush
I took rescue remedy, ate a banana and talked myself through it all .

Good luck

lilyborderterrier Mon 08-May-17 16:08:03

I recently passed on my 5th test !! I am 38 and it's taken me ages to learn. To drive through family commitments, and life but I eventually did and it's great. Nerves got to me each test and the tester always said I could drive but I made silly mistakes in the test.
Try to stay calm, I ate bananas before and chewed chewing gum discreetly to give me energy. I took a couple of paracetamol and rescue remedy.

Good luck x.

nixworld Mon 08-May-17 16:15:40

Hmmm, hard to say really. I passed on my fourth go!!! At 18, and now I am 30 and absolutely love driving. If it helps, I know how you feel- I don't think I have ever been more scared than the lead up to my driving tests! The only thing I would day is (a bit late if it's tomorrow) is that only do the test when you are completely ready and confident. Looking back I can see that for my first and even second tests I was in no way ready, it was just a waste of time.

CanicallyaEddie Mon 08-May-17 16:30:38

Thanks everyone. I hadn't considered eating anything specific as a factor but will definitely try that. Have just ordered some rescue remedy via amazon prime so I'll have that in time to try too.

RortyCrankle Mon 08-May-17 17:34:00

It's a million years since I passed my test (first time) but I do remember one tip from my driving instructor: When looking in rear view mirror, don't just swivel your eyes, move your head a little bit so the examiner can see that you are using the mirror.

If you're having a lesson prior to the test, try and let out all your stress and nerves then. I nearly smashed into a milk float but fortunately missed it and when doing hand signals for a few seconds had one hand on the gear stick and the other stuck out the window signalling frantically, the instructor was not impressed grin

Very best of luck.

c3pu Mon 08-May-17 17:54:34

Make sure the car is tax'd, MOT'd and insured 😂

stayathomegardener Mon 08-May-17 18:00:55

I decided mentally I was going to fail and would pass the next one. Took all the pressure off and I passed.
DD 18 passed first time last week, she was nervous about failing for being hesitant too.
Her test was 8.30am rush hour and on a couple of occasions other drivers tried to let her out and she said out loud "I'm choosing not to go because my vision isn't clear the other way" or "it will be safer to wait for the lights to change" Not sure if you are allowed to do that but she was desperate for her decisions to be seen as safe and careful not hesitant.
Good luck.

LiquoriceAllsorts86 Mon 08-May-17 18:03:27

I've got mine next Monday. I'm dreading it. I just know I'll make a silly mistake! Good luck for tomorrow.

catgirl1976 Mon 08-May-17 18:12:30

Oh good luck!

I have mine next Tuesday

I failed my first one 4 weeks ago. I was a bit unlucky and messed up a filter light that went off as I approached so I thought I had to stop. If I'd got there two seconds earlier I'd have passed

I failed my second one 2 weeks ago. This time I drove terribly and the instructor had to grab the wheel. Anything I could have done wrong I did. My head was in the wrong place and I think once you can drive (which you can) it's all about your mental state on the day.

I have to pass this time or I lose my job so no pressure sad

Anyway my top tip is stay calm. I didn't in my second test and went to bits. Keep calm, keep cool even if something unexpected happens just think calmly and act calmly. You know how to drive, you can do this. DH has told me to pretend I am an airline pilot in my head going through my checks and being cool and collected - sounds odd but I think it might help

QueenMortificado Mon 08-May-17 18:15:53

Banana and 2 paracetamol an hour before your test. It was recommended on here to me (I think the latter to reduce your temperature?!)

Anyway, it worked for me and passed first time. Good luck OP! And don't worry if you don't pass, just means you weren't ready to be on the road anyway.

alfagirl73 Mon 08-May-17 18:26:20

Okay so I sat my driving test last week - even though I've been driving for 20 years! Reason? I was upgrading from automatic to manual (long overdue!). I passed. But even as an experienced driver I was nervous! Here are my top tips!

First thing: take your time! It's not a race and you'll get no points for rushing to try and impress the examiner. Breathe, compose yourself and concentrate on giving the examiner a smooth and safe drive. Focus on driving safely. Don't worry about what's coming later in the test - just take each road and direction as it comes. When the examiner gives you a direction, listen and then do your checks and signal. Think of the examiner's instruction as your prompt to do these things. Every time he/she says something, check your mirrors - even if you don't have to. Just keep looking and demonstrating you're looking around you as you drive.

If you come to a busy junction, don't panic. If you can't go, you can't go! Remember you'll get a minor fault for being hesitant but a serious if you rush and pull out too quickly - so better to take the hit on the minor and pass than rush and fail.

Breathe, focus, and talk to yourself in your head... kind of talk your way through the test. If you think you've made a mistake - don't panic. You can't undo it so just concentrate on what's in front of you and focus on driving safely. That's ultimately what the examiner wants to see - that you can drive safely and control the vehicle. You might think you've messed it up but it might only be a minor - so just stay focused. If you remain calm and continue to drive well the examiner will be impressed.

Demonstrate that you can drive at appropriate speeds - but calmly and in control. So don't be afraid to get up to speed when you can - but keep it smooth and appropriate for what's around you.

It's natural to be nervous - especially at the start of the test - but just ease into it... and then focus on your driving.

Good luck! You can do it! I had the most miserable examiner last week - apparently known as "Mr Fail", who took me on the most evil and bizarre route (multiple hill starts on hills that would've made Everest blush.... parallel park on a main road with lots of traffic coming... etc... etc...) and I still passed! So just think positive and go for it! :-)

ThorsMistress Mon 08-May-17 19:26:24

I passed 5th time (3 of them over 10 years ago). The morning of my test I couldn't be bothered! I had convinced myself I would fail so didn't see the point of putting myself through more stress. My instructor made me stop round the corner of the test centre for 5 mins as we were early. I had a good old cry which I definitely needed.

The drive itself was horrendous sad a woman decided to pull out on me causing me to emergency stop. He moved his feet over the peddle but I must of stopped within a split second. I drove uphill with the handbrake on but didn't realise that the alarm sounding was for that reason! I asked if I could pull over to compose myself and continued on after. He did look at me quite a lot to obviously see if I was checking my mirrors.

When he said I had passed I had to make sure he wasn't joking grin but looking back everything I encountered I made sure I stayed calm and didn't fluster. Also thinking I had failed made me more relaxed and less under pressure.

Good luck! You CAN do it smile

EduCated Mon 08-May-17 19:41:10

As someone said upthread, the purpose of the test is to see if you're safe, not to see if you're a perfect driver. Try and keep repeating that to yourself!

IrishTwin Mon 08-May-17 19:41:22

I passed on my 8th attempt and only passed then because I thought I had failed for going the wrong way on my test so relaxed and thought oh well.. and that's the Best advice i could give!!

Fruitcocktail6 Mon 08-May-17 19:45:33

You just need to relax, which is so much harder said than done. I passed on my second test, I was so nervous when I started my arms were numb, I thought I was having a heart attack!

101dalmationspots Mon 08-May-17 20:04:30

Over exaggerate everything, when you check your mirrors, blind spot etc. Keep talking to the instructor, I was super nervous so kept the conversation going and it definitely made me more relaxed. If you stall or go in the wrong lane or anything do not panic, correct yourself. I even said 'oh no I'm in the wrong lane' and the instructor said 'correct yourself, ignore the last 5 mins and focus on the next' it really helped. Also have a bannana. Say outloud before you move off 'indicate, mirrors, blind spot' and go. You'll be great and remember even if you fail it's not the end of the world!! Good luck

Gramgram Mon 08-May-17 20:53:38

Might have answered this some time earlier. Good luck for tomorrow. The only thing I can suggest is remember nothing changes until you pass the test, stay calm.

JollyBobs Mon 08-May-17 23:00:11

2 paracetamols and a glug of lucazade!

This is a tried and tested method in the boblington household. Haven't ever failed an exam yet grin

ThorsMistress Tue 09-May-17 19:08:36

How did you get on OP?

AlmostAJillSandwich Tue 09-May-17 19:30:03

Make sure you understand how right of way works at different types of junctions!

Sorry, light hearted comment, but a rather silly young woman 2 days post passing her test decided that her light being green meant it didn't matter she was turning right across traffic at a T junction and she could just go, causing a massive crash thats written my dads car off, injured me, dad and sister quite badly and left me now housebound as illness/disabilities mean im reliant on a car to go out and the insurance pay out wont cover the cost of another and we're living on credit and overdrafts as it is so cant add to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now