Talk

Advanced search

To laugh at the idea that Emma Watson is a phenomenal actress

(47 Posts)
ShatnersWig Mon 08-May-17 13:58:12

She received the best actor award at the MTV awards last night for the first ever "non-gender" acting award as they did away with separate male and female categories.

AIBU to feel that people who think Emma Watson's performance in Beauty and the Beast was the best movie acting in any film in the last 12 months are somewhat misguided?

namechange20050 Mon 08-May-17 14:00:39

It's the MTV awards. Presumably this is voted for by 12 year old girls?

WingMirrorSpider Mon 08-May-17 14:02:08

A couple of years ago they had a 'best shirtless' award so I don't think Meryl Streep is sobbing into her pillow about not beating Hermione grin

emesis Mon 08-May-17 14:03:03

Awards shows are a bunch of bollocks though. I'm sure they're all just worked out and paid for by the relevant movie studios or whatever.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 08-May-17 14:03:24

Well she's better than me tbf.

moutonfou Mon 08-May-17 14:04:14

She basically plays herself in everything. Nice, polite, somewhat reserved. I think the mark of a great actor is to be able to completely change it up, to fully become a character.

But then again, it's a popular vote of the MTV audience, not the oscars. If that was their favourite performance, the win is fair.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Mon 08-May-17 14:04:49

Emma Watson is one of the best actresses and role models out there. Her performance in Beauty and the Beast was outstanding.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Mon 08-May-17 14:05:24

moutonfou You've not seen The Bling Ring thenwink

hibbledobble Mon 08-May-17 14:06:15

I still can't get over her appalling Harry Potter acting. Yanbu

user1482079332 Mon 08-May-17 14:07:13

Something something something wallflower

Str4ngedaysindeed Mon 08-May-17 14:07:21

She was awful in b and the b. I was so disappointed. There's something I just don't like about her which baffles my two dd as they love her!!!

RhiWrites Mon 08-May-17 14:07:50

I was just about to say The Bling Ring, she was good in that.

She's a bit drama school for me but I think she puts the work in. She'll probably get better as she ages.

LadySalmakia Mon 08-May-17 14:09:10

Bless her, I love HP - massive massive fangirl - and I love Emma Watson because of it, she was a sweet Hermione and despite chewing the scenery a bit did a very good job for her age. (Mind you, so did some of the scenery compared to poor Daniel Radcliffe!)

But she's not a great actress, she's just a bit wooden. That said I haven't seen B&B yet. But I think she's lovely any way so she should still have all the prizes.

EdmundCleverClogs Mon 08-May-17 14:12:14

Yanbu, she's an awful actress. Really bad, only happened to have 'fallen on her feet' in terms of the big roles she's had. I have no personal opinion on her, though don't get why she's a 'role model' either, haven't noticed anything major she has done to earn that title. Every time she 'speaks' on a matter, she does so like she's reading from a cue card.

I have heard of alleged diva behaviour as well, but that might be something or nothing gossip.

NuffSaidSam Mon 08-May-17 14:13:23

Best actor is a nonsense because it's always going to be subjective.

They could have fastest actor, get them all to do a 100 yard dash. That would be objective and far more fun too watch.

And it's the MTV awards! It's not even in the top 10 of the valued awards for acting.

squoosh Mon 08-May-17 14:14:13

I read recently that she's soon to become the highest paid actress in Hollywood! Which is pretty amazing considering her very limited acting talents.

'She basically plays herself in everything. Nice, polite, somewhat reserved.'

Exactly that.

LaurieMarlow Mon 08-May-17 14:14:29

Bless, I haven't seen any evidence she can act at all, beyond decent school play standard. I've yet to see The Bling Ring though, so that might change my mind.

I thought her modelling work was good though and she comes across as a thoughtful, intelligent girl.

But she's totally out of her depth in Hollywood.

squoosh Mon 08-May-17 14:16:41

Where has Carey Mulligan disappeared to? She's streets ahead of Watson talent wise.

00100001 Mon 08-May-17 14:21:11

She isn't a phenomenal actress no, but who even cares? It's just films, it's not important - it's not like the awards are funded by my taxes. It's the same as footballers getting paid millions, I can't summon up any energy to give a fuck.

ShatnersWig Mon 08-May-17 14:21:16

The other nominees in the category included Hugh Jackman and James McAvoy.

Not one of the cast of Moonlight - all of whom were far better than Watson in B&B - were nominated. Except for "best kiss" (which they won).

loobyloo1234 Mon 08-May-17 14:23:50

YANBU - she's a terrible actress (actor)

00100001 Mon 08-May-17 14:26:11

and she is a female good role model to young people. She's well educated, she works hard, she's a vocal feminist. She is mature and sensible etc. We have don't have a naked Emma on a 'wrecking ball' swinging across our screens ala Miley Cyrus... we don't have a big Emma arse asking us to "break the internet" like Kim Kardashian. We don't have stories of Emma checking into rehab like Lindsay Lohan.

EdmundCleverClogs Mon 08-May-17 14:27:29

It's just films, it's not important

Generally no, but Beauty and the Beast was hands down my favourite Disney film. Belle (in the first half of the film), was someone I could relate to as a child, unlike all the other silly princesses in Disney. I was so disappointed to hear they had chosen so poorly for the live-action version, I knew that I wouldn't enjoy the film with her starring. It doesn't matter though, as there's always Belle in Once Upon a Time, who I think is my favourite representation regardless.

GabsAlot Mon 08-May-17 14:27:44

so very overrated

ie also heard shes not very nice at all two of he co stars wont work with her again

sparepantsandtoothbrush Mon 08-May-17 14:28:02

My 10 year old DD loves Emma Watson but even she questioned whether she'd misheard the news when she heard Emma had won the best actor award for Beauty and the beast!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now