Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd - phoning maternity ward?

(95 Posts)
sailorcherries Mon 08-May-17 11:55:36

Posting for traffic ..

I'm 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant, have a pre-op assessment at the end of the week plus 38 week check and a csection scheduled a week tomorrow.

Since Saturday I've felt a slight decrease in LOs movements, he wasn't as active at all during the day and then had a spurt at night (I had been cleaning all day followed by a bath at night).

Yesterday they seemed to drop again to the point where I did feel him but no where near what I'd consider normal. I put off phoning because he did move, just not as pronounced or as often.

Last night I went to the toilet and, after wiping, noticed what can only be described as a small bogey type thing on the tissue (greenish in colour) and a little bit on my trousers (I was wearing a thong). Then last night I woke up at 1am and couldn't get back to sleep. I had terrible back ache and again LO wasn't really moving. I then had the urge to go to the bathroom asap and had a bout of diarrhoea and, when I stood up, I noticed a pinky blob in the toilet about a 1p in size. This then progressed to intermittent period type pains, albeit mild, accompanied by a tightening of my belly. They lasted less than a minute, came every 2-4 minutes and stopped altogether after an hour. They were never sore, never picked up pace or intensity. I couldn’t fall back asleep until gone 5am though.

Today I've felt LO move but again it isn't nearly as frequently or as strong. I've had backache all day and some period type cramps but nothing that can be tracked. I've had no more discharge whatsoever.

I read various posts about the ten kicks per hour vs ten kicks per day vs less than normal for you and I really don't know what to do.

I didn't go in to natural labour with my first and I cannot remember feeling anything like this (it was almost 7 years ago now). Do I phone the maternity ward or am I worrying over nothing?

LoudestRoar Mon 08-May-17 11:57:14

Phone the maternity ward NOW. Sorry to shout OP, but ANY change in movement needs investigating, wether that be increased or decreased. Hope all is ok

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 08-May-17 11:57:42

I'd be calling the ward, what you have described was the onset of labour for me.

Hopefully Mon 08-May-17 11:57:45

Call. They would much rather check you over for nothing than risk missing something important.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 08-May-17 11:57:59

go in and get checked due to the decrease in movements.

Hopefully Mon 08-May-17 11:57:59

Sounds like v early labour btw.

RuskBaby Mon 08-May-17 11:58:20

Phone them now, it may be nothing but it's best to check.

MrsEvadneCake Mon 08-May-17 11:58:22

Phone the maternity ward and tell them it's reduced movements. They should have you in and check. Don't leave it. They won't mind and you aren't bothering them.

MrsELM21 Mon 08-May-17 11:59:00

Joining the chorus of please call!!

cheesydoesit Mon 08-May-17 12:00:44

I would phone and get checked out.

Fruitcorner123 Mon 08-May-17 12:00:47

Yes please phone them if you haven't already. I had reduced movements several times with my son and was always seen quickly and never made to feel like i was wasting time. They always tell you to go in with any change of movements.

Naughtyfrog Mon 08-May-17 12:00:54

Agree with PP, go in now for assessment. Also I'd go not call as they are more likely to check you as you're already there.

Erinys Mon 08-May-17 12:00:55

Phone.

They told me when I was pregnant that it's better to phone up with any concerns than not to.

ellesbellesxxx Mon 08-May-17 12:01:42

Echoing others.. please call.. we have been in triage several times and every time they reiterate CALL if there is any change in pattern of movements. Sounds like mucus plug/early labour.. good luck x

sailorcherries Mon 08-May-17 12:01:53

I've been lying down for an hour to see if LO would move. He's only done so the past few minutes (literally since I've posted this). I'll head upstairs and wake OH (he was/is nightshift) and then phone.

As I said he's still moving but not as much as before for at least a good day, and definitely not as strongly. A slight bump/roll here or there as opposed to a proper nudge, if that makes sense.

I hate feeling like I'm troubling people or worrying for no reason but needs must.

RedPanda25 Mon 08-May-17 12:03:28

Please call, they won't think you're bothering them at all! They much prefer people to go in and get checked, honestly.

dontevenblink Mon 08-May-17 12:04:27

Also agreeing with everyone else, definitely call. Always best to check, and I'm sure they'd rather you rang too.

BeaveredBadgered Mon 08-May-17 12:04:33

This was how my labour started too. I'm glad you're having the reduced movements checked out.

Bisquick Mon 08-May-17 12:05:54

Please please call and go in to the labour ward. Not wanting to alarm you but greenish stuff could be meconium in your waters. Hope you're heading to the ward now!

PhDPepper Mon 08-May-17 12:06:06

You're really not bothering anyone. Midwives would rather the 'bothered' by anxious parents 100,000 times than miss something important.

You know your baby's movements, you feel they have decreased. That's enough for any midwife to ask you to come and monitor you for a bit.

Please call them.

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 08-May-17 12:06:19

Just go in! Please, its not worth the risk. He could have the cord round his neck or something!

ClosetGoth Mon 08-May-17 12:07:01

Please go in now for assessment - I went in after decreasing movement and it turned out, my did was in distress. Better to be reassured!

Hope all goes well !

Northgate Mon 08-May-17 12:08:17

Agree with pp, call and get checked out.

Fruitcorner123 Mon 08-May-17 12:08:41

In my hospital they have posters up everywhere telling you that any change in movements should be immediately reported to them. It is their job and they expect to get these calls. I honestly went in 3 times with DS and it was fine. They measure the heartbeat and movements over a period of time (can't quite remember how long maybe half hour) then if they are satisfied will send you home, if concerned may arrange a scan.When I went in there were plenty of other women with the same concern. Hope it goes well and you can put your mind at ease.

The pinky blob, period pains and cramps sound like the start of labour too which if you are booked in for a csection they need to know about.

hibbledobble Mon 08-May-17 12:09:53

Reduced fetal movements do need assessing, head on in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now