Talk

Advanced search

To ask what I can put on chicken pox on toddlers bits?

(31 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 07-May-17 18:01:38

Poor DC is only two and has got a really bad case of chicken pox. It's all in his bum crack and on his bits really severely.
I've put virasoothe on, but I'm worried about infection given his by his bum.
What can I put there to help prevent infection? One or two blisters have yellow puss in them.

Will call doctors tomorrow, but what can I do in the meantime to help?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sun 07-May-17 18:05:08

Eurax cream. As recommended by my pharmacist

NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 07-May-17 18:16:43

Thanks. Will look into getting some.

Is it normal to have some with yellow puss?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 07-May-17 18:20:52

A bath with a huge scoop of bicarb helped both my DSs a lot when they were pox-ridden and itchy/uncomfortable. Otherwise some neutral oil (cooking oil is fine) will help until you can get some Eurax (which is excellent). HTH... smile

Girlsinthegarden Sun 07-May-17 18:24:24

I put on loads of sudocrem.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 07-May-17 18:25:54

Calamine lotion.

Brittbugs80 Sun 07-May-17 18:27:10

Not calamine lotion!! It dries the pox out and makes them even itchier.

Bicarb in the bath though will help

NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 07-May-17 18:36:45

Thanks everyone.

Sent DH to boots. We've tried aveeno oat bath, piriton, calpol and virasoothe.

I've never seen chicken pox so bad before. Daughters seemingly got off mildly when they had it in comparison.
sad

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 07-May-17 18:42:00

Is pus opaque or clear?

I had it really bad at 19 & only felt comfy in a bath.

jelliebelly Sun 07-May-17 18:46:43

Oat bath good. Not calamine lotion but you can get calamine in a cream I seem to recall which was loads better.

NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 07-May-17 18:55:09

Here are the type of ones I'm concerned about.

They have a yellow colour to them unlike the others.

These are the ones under armpit. Has got a fair few by his bits now.

Normal or not? confused

NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 07-May-17 18:55:35

He is on Day 3 now

Bungleboggs Sun 07-May-17 18:58:06

They look nasty but "normal nasty" my ds had them like that, they do dry up though. I did take my ds to the docs as they were in his eyes.

Elledouble Sun 07-May-17 18:58:27

They look normal to me. My son had it quite badly at 18 months or so and the spots do go weepy. It's the first stage of healing, they'll scab soon but keep an eye on them.

Oldraver Sun 07-May-17 19:03:21

Oat bath (oats in a sock, or tights). Squeeze the goo out of the sock onto the blisters

OuiMerci Sun 07-May-17 19:06:37

My DD had them last month and her poor bottom and vulva were covered in spots. The whole area was red and inflamed. The pharmacist said I could use yellow metanium on them and that really helped.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 07-May-17 19:11:32

Normal unfortunately, poor little chap. My DD had them literally everywhere including inside her eye lids, absolutely miserable illness. Hope he's better soon.
Soda bic in the bath helped, and wearing the softest clothes/pyjamas.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sun 07-May-17 19:19:25

I've also got a poxy toddler, they're also all over his willy and bum sad. So far (only day 1 though) oat bath is working really well for us and smothering his bits in virasoothe and then covering with sudocrem as a protective barrier seems to be helping a bit, though he's yelling 'oww' every time he goes to the toilet...

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 07-May-17 19:20:12

They look normal to me too, most of mine erupted like that.

Poor little sod.

I wonder if ibuprofen syrup would help, adults can take them both together. Piritons better than Benadryl as it makes you drowsy.

BikeRunSki Sun 07-May-17 19:22:58

I found Poxclin was excellent. It is a mousse, so you can apply it without actually touching the skin. Sold OTC in Boots.

Festivecheer2 Sun 07-May-17 19:41:54

Just in case you are not aware, please do not give ibuprofen with chicken pox, it can cause a severe reaction.

I'm going against the grain here. Whilst hard to tell from the pic, I think the red around the pox looks like infection brewing.

isadoradancing123 Sun 07-May-17 19:54:48

I also think that some of them look as if the may be starting to get infected

BlueDaBaDee Sun 07-May-17 19:56:39

Definitely not ibroprofen! Just to reiterate.

NotAnotherUserName5 Sun 07-May-17 20:26:27

Thanks, won't give ibuprofen, given what I've heard.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask-hope your toddler is better soon. Such a horrible illness isn't it?

I've got some germoline so have put that on the suspicious looking spots.

OuiMerci-I have some metanium in, will give that a try next time I change him.

Jollypirates3 Sun 07-May-17 20:59:51

www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?callingViewName=&catalogId=11051&langId=-1&productId=120395&storeId=10052

2.5 years ago when ds 1 was 18 months and we used this. Was amazing and really cooled the skin down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now