Talk

Advanced search

How are schools allowed to take pupils on holiday in term time?

(106 Posts)
Cab65 Fri 05-May-17 22:27:03

Last year my DD was fined for taking her DS out of school on holiday for three days during term time. This year the school is taking him and his class on holiday to the Isle of Wight for a week during term time. How can this be allowed. I have never seen a better example of don't do as I do do as I tell you. Why aren't more parents fighting this injustice.

PurpleDaisies Fri 05-May-17 22:27:58

It's an educational trip. It's not the same as a holiday.

nuttyknitter Fri 05-May-17 22:30:01

I really have heard it all now. They're going on an educational trip - it'll be highly planned and much of their work on return to school will be based on their experiences.

hazeydays14 Fri 05-May-17 22:30:25

If the majority of the kids go then they don't miss out on lessons and have to play catch up when they come back.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 05-May-17 22:31:37

It's an educational trip.

Also if they go in the holidays, who would go with them? Teachers would be off.

TheMysteriousJackelope Fri 05-May-17 22:32:43

The last trip my DC went on they learned about organic farming, physical geography formations, and re-enacted the Underground Railroad for slaves escaping to Canada. Another trip the school organizes is for them to learn about various marine environments, the biology of squid and plankton.

The only one that seems vaguely 'holiday' is the band trip where they'll be visiting the St Louis Gateway Arch, the museum of Jazz and Blues, the City Museum, and playing in the Festival in the Parks band competition. There is a sudden detour into them visiting Six Flags St. Louis and the Hard Rock Café, but that will be on a Saturday so I can't really complain about that. The band teacher chooses the locations for the band trips based on which roller coasters he wants to ride on that year.

mumtomaxwell Fri 05-May-17 22:33:14

Really???

NameyMcNamechangechange Fri 05-May-17 22:34:18

Why aren't more parents fighting this injustice? Maybe it's something exciting for their children, which benefits their education, which has a organised and supervised for them? There are 13 weeks when you can go to the Isle of Wight if you like!

LindyHemming Fri 05-May-17 22:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anasnake Fri 05-May-17 22:35:52

Let's fight the injustice of teachers taking our kids on organised educational visits - how dare they ??!!!
Troll post.

CatsInKilts Fri 05-May-17 22:37:18

Those awful teachers.

Giving up 3 days and nights to take other people's children on a trip.

How do they live with themselves?

Fight against this terrible injustice! That'll show 'em! hmm

LornaD40 Fri 05-May-17 22:40:12

🙄

IcanMooCanYou Fri 05-May-17 22:41:20

Not this again. One child out = child misses all of the learning that week. Pain to catch up on return. E.g. week one (holiday week) class planned a piece of writing; week two (child back) class are writing up. Cue child X: 'Miss, I wasn't here... I don't know what to do.' See also, week 1: learn to use protractor, week two: shape problem solving, etc, etc x30 children taking holidays on different weeks throughout the year.

Whole class trip: all children out, no one misses anything, no one has to catch up, all children still learning skills/gaining knowledge outside the classroom, disadvantaged children getting experiences that they would never have otherwise.

Please apply above response next time you wish to moan about snow days and INSET days.

Auspiciouspanda Fri 05-May-17 22:44:00

Because grandma there is a difference between a residential trip and a holiday l.

brownpurse Fri 05-May-17 22:47:04

Too stupid for words.

Unhurried Fri 05-May-17 22:47:05

Talk sense will you

Wolfiefan Fri 05-May-17 22:47:44

How fuckimg dare those teachers take a week away from their own families, enjoy endure 24/7 with coach loads of over excited primary school kids or hormonal teenagers for no extra pay.
Bastards!
I'm taking my kids out of school to Magaluf for a week to protest.

BasketOfDeplorables Fri 05-May-17 22:47:44

I don't have any school aged dc - how does it work with the non-educational trips?

When I was at school I went on the couple of nights outdoorsy trip, but couldn't afford the skiing trip. Most kids did go skiing but it was more of a 2/3 deal than it just being me sitting in the head's office all week. All lessons were cancelled for our year as most were out. Would you get fined for taking your kid out for that week now?

DontBeASalmon Fri 05-May-17 23:00:54

In my kids schools, all the non-educational trips are scheduled during the normal half term and holiday breaks, they never clash with lessons. At worst, they come back the night before going back to class, which is not ideal but not the end of the world.

BasketOfDeplorables Fri 05-May-17 23:12:13

Well that sounds sensible, Salmon. I wondered if it had changed following the fines as that week was a bit pointless for anyone who couldn't go so would have imagined parents might be annoyed.

This was back at the turn of the century though.

DanyellasDonkey Fri 05-May-17 23:12:31

How dare those workshy teachers who only work from 9 to 3 for 190 days a year spend a week taking 24 hour responsibility for other people's kids. A disgrace.

When our school did a residential last year the parents had it all on FB "Well that's us got rid of the kids - off to Asda to stock up on the booze for the party" hmm

skyzumarubble Fri 05-May-17 23:16:17

Seriously? Can you not see the difference?

DontBeASalmon Fri 05-May-17 23:16:23

basket I would be delighted if my kids were going away during term time, allowing me to take a cheap holiday with my husband whilst they are away grin

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 05-May-17 23:18:47

I hope the teachers get compensated appropriately

PurpleDaisies Fri 05-May-17 23:21:14

Of course they don't Donttouch. No extra pay or time off. School trips are great but utterly exhausting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: