loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to have to BEG my GP to let me back on the pill

(60 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Fri 05-May-17 13:36:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nutterfly Fri 05-May-17 13:38:45

Change your GP. They sound awful. And the comments about periods are callous at best and ignorant at worst. I'd expect better from a medical professional.

Nutterfly Fri 05-May-17 13:40:17

If your periods are so bad that you're being hit by waves of pain and not safe to drive, your GP should be helpful not dismissive.

soundsystem Fri 05-May-17 13:40:19

That sounds horrendous! Is there a clinic you can go to instead of your GP? Not that you should have to...

Don't beg, just politely but but firmly tell him that you're aware of the alternatives and the pros/cons and would prefer to go back on the pill. And when he tries to argue just politely but firmly cut him off saying "Thank you, but I'm happy with my decision". So that he would have to outright refuse... (which I wouldn't think he'd do?)

Good luck!

marialuisa Fri 05-May-17 13:40:28

If you're really desperate you can buy Cilest on private prescription, £20 for 3 months. I'm very grateful that my choice to take Cilest for 16 years straight hasn't been questioned.

Greyponcho Fri 05-May-17 13:41:46

Nope. Nope. Nope.
That should not be happening to you. I had the copper coil at 18 - ended up with such horrendous fainting fits that I later realised was a state of clinical shock.
Had it removed and was miles better for it.
Have you/they considered a different pill instead of the one you were on?
Agree with 'change your GP'

Mysterycat23 Fri 05-May-17 13:42:25

Change gp that is horrendous.

Find a sensible one who will suggest different pills to try.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about someone whose gp refused to remove coil despite terrible side effects, think she went to her local walk in gum clinic?

VacantExpression Fri 05-May-17 13:43:02

Are you a smoker or overweight OP? This might be the reason your GP isn't keen on you going back on the pill- mine wasn't because of my weight.

doesn't excuse your GP being unsympathetic and callous though angry

terrylene Fri 05-May-17 13:44:02

COC is fine until 50 if you do not smoke (then the cut off is 35).

Beeswax2017 Fri 05-May-17 13:48:22

Beeswax2017 Fri 05-May-17 13:49:29

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 05-May-17 13:50:02

Are there other reasons other than your age? Eg smoker, overweight, high blood pressure? These can be reasons for the combined pill to be contraindicated in over 30s, as the risk of stroke and blood clots increases substantially

Beeswax2017 Fri 05-May-17 13:51:30

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 05-May-17 13:51:42

X post

If your bmi is above a certain level - I can't remember what - the combined pill is contraindicated, which means expert guidance is that it is too risky to prescribe. You will be unlikely to find anyone who will prescribe it in these circumstances

dnwig Fri 05-May-17 13:52:31

Family planning clinic will sort out your contraception surely?

BeMorePanda Fri 05-May-17 14:00:14

As a 36 year old woman, why can I not be trusted to choose my own contraception??
Don't beg - say exactly this ^^ and put it back on them!

DreamilyLookingOutOfTheWindow Fri 05-May-17 14:00:16

I often feel anxious days before coming up to an appointment, because in the past my GP has refused to give me the regular brand. Then I have gone through two years of irregular bleeds, alopecia, weight gain. Eventually I got back on my original pill and all symptoms subsided, but every three month appointment is a battle

Its just draining and im sick of it

Stormtreader Fri 05-May-17 14:02:14

Im obese and am on progesterone-only pill (cerazette), never had any suggestion I should come off it due to weight, cant think why your GP couldnt change you onto that.

Helenluvsrob Fri 05-May-17 14:04:12

Look up the MEC criteria for contraception. Your GP has decided that as a 36yr old with a high BMI ( glad its coming down, keep at it but it's still high at the moment) you are at high risk of complications. As those complications include death that seems a fare assessment of the situation to decline to prescribe.

Ultimately , what ever you " demand" your GP is putting their livelihood on the line when they sign an FP10. You cannot say " it's OK I'll take the risk, I might die" . Your GP ( if wise) will think " what If I had to tell the coroner, yes I went against current guidance and prescribed the pill for this lady because she was adamant it was what she wanted and would accept the risk of death" and think, no, sorry I'll stick to the guidance.

Thats not to say you have to put up with the horrendous pain etc , there are other strategies round that.
www.fsrh.org/standards-and-guidance/external/ukmec-2016-digital-version/

Beeswax2017 Fri 05-May-17 14:05:20

Helenluvsrob Fri 05-May-17 14:05:20

terrylene and all the other posters saying the GP is being mean ,or similar, please read the link above

expatinscotland Fri 05-May-17 14:07:45

I wouldn't see this GP. And would complain about him/her. Please go to FPC. You can have the copper coil out, get a script for the Pill and use condoms or abstinence until it's operational. Sounds like there's no reason why you cannot use combined pill. And be firm, 'I no longer consent to this form of contraception.'

user1493022461 Fri 05-May-17 14:08:10

Your GP is trying to keep you healthy.

But if you wanted the pill, why didn't you go to the family planning years ago and just get it?

Blueskyonthehorizon Fri 05-May-17 14:08:32

Why so attached to hormonal methods? Why not use condoms or other methods?

thetemptationofchocolate Fri 05-May-17 14:08:55

I suffered awful periods for years and got some really astounding responses from various doctors. None of them were willing to do anything about it.
But in my thirties they got even worse and were making me so ill. I had a lot of time off work and was threatened with a health review (prelude to being sacked). I told my doctor this and he referred me to a gynaecologist, who helped enormously.
I felt angry with my doctor as if he had done that earlier I would have been saved years of constant pain and debility.
I second the suggestion of a second opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now