Talk

Advanced search

To buy my dh an adult scooter?

(117 Posts)
NapQueen Mon 01-May-17 20:01:20

As in like a nippy little metal two wheel stick thingy, rather that a moped.

Is it wankery? Will people point and laugh?

SuburbanRhonda Mon 01-May-17 20:02:29

Please don't, unless you want him to look ridiculous.

NapQueen Mon 01-May-17 20:03:22

Maybe a little bit of me does grin

harderandharder2breathe Mon 01-May-17 20:03:37

Does he want one?

rookiemere Mon 01-May-17 20:04:06

Why not a bike ?

JustAKitten Mon 01-May-17 20:04:36

I would but me and DP have lightsabers so we clearly don't care about looking stupid grin

NapQueen Mon 01-May-17 20:04:42

He went to a shop that sold scooters with the dcs and apparently had a go and enjoyed the adult ones (according to dd). I sort of tucked the idea away as potential and then literally never seen an adult on one since. So worried....

ShowOfHands Mon 01-May-17 20:04:47

Why the fuck not? If he wants one.

I have a unicycle and a scooter and don't care if I look ridiculous.

I'm getting a skateboard next.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Mon 01-May-17 20:05:29

Get him one! 🛴

seven201 Mon 01-May-17 20:07:02

I've seen trendy people in London on them. MIL who definitely isn't trendy has one gathering dust in a cupboard. Everyone knew she'd never use it when she talked about buying one. She does love QVC so maybe it was from there!

ProudBadMum Mon 01-May-17 20:07:53

I've seen loads of people. The ones in suits make me giggle

Sandsnake Mon 01-May-17 20:08:41

Do it! I have one and am evangelical about it. It saves me 20 minutes a day on my commute to work. It folds up well so that it never takes up excess room on the train.

I asked my colleagues if I would look like a twat before I got one. They answered 'yes, probably'. I still don't care! It means more time at home with DS and for me it is purely for utility.

Mine's a microscooter. Not sure of the exact make but it's black and I like it (in case you couldn't tell...).

storynanny Mon 01-May-17 20:09:15

My hysband wants one, and a unicycle, roller boots, electric skateboard, drone, canoe and those springy leg jump things.
He is not joking. He scoots his 7 year old grandsons. He wants an electric version.
He is 63.
I might get him the canoe.

EatTheChocolateTeapot Mon 01-May-17 20:09:20

I used to have one to make the journey from bus stop to work in London. I stopped using it when pregnant as took a few tumbles doing sharp corners.
It was very fashionable for adults to use them in France (Paris mostly) a few years back.

KatyBerry Mon 01-May-17 20:09:37

I have one, and it is very useful for commuting if the pavements are in good condition

GerdaLovesLili Mon 01-May-17 20:10:12

I have one. It's great! Saves me a lot of tin=me, keeps me fit(ish)

GerdaLovesLili Mon 01-May-17 20:10:27

time

PansyGiraffe Mon 01-May-17 20:14:08

I second everything Sandsnake says, except I never asked my colleagues' opinion. No one has yet shouted "scooter wanker" at me, Inbetweeners style.

There’s a man I often see in the mornings going to the station on his too. Without admitting it to the other, we race while pretending not to acknowledge the other one. He normally wins. He looks utterly ridiculous. Scooter wanker.

zzzzz Mon 01-May-17 20:16:58

I have one smile. Ds and I scoot together. It's lovely and I can be there when he falls in a second. If he gets tired of scooting I can carry one or both and they fit in the boot easily.

To be fair I had one as a twenty something scooting around Paris, so I am probably pretty immune to looks., I am quite large so probably look odder now.

Laska5772 Mon 01-May-17 20:20:42

Yes!! I've got a purple adult micro scooter ! Its great (and im 59!) . Brilliant fun , I use it to commute to work sometimes andalso to just whizz around eveings and at weekends (and with DGS) . It folds up and is really fast! I even use it (with backpack) to pop down the shop ..

Some people give me strange looks (mostly teenagers) but loads more smile and call out good comments..

( Its also great for the bum and legs)

MackerelOfFact Mon 01-May-17 20:21:47

For scooting around the park with the kids, totally fine.

For commuting, fuck no. Being a pedestrian in rush hour is hazardous and stressful enough at the best of times, without twelve-stone missiles hurtling towards you on the pavement. Just no.

NapQueen Mon 01-May-17 20:22:53

It would just be to whizz along to the park with the kids or nip to little tesco.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 01-May-17 20:27:17

I bought DH one and we've both used it! Memorably, he left his car at the station in town one night and got a cab home as he had been drinking, then scooted into town the next morning to pick up his car! He was very pleased with himself!

Sandsnake Mon 01-May-17 20:56:57

Mackerel - I agree to a point as if it's really busy it's no fun at all and really frustrating. But my commute - though in London - is down really quiet roads. Also, they are surprisingly easy to control - I've had to do a couple of emergency stops when people have walked out in front of me and I've just hopped off and stopped instantly.

I promise I don't have shares in Microscooter...

John4703 Mon 01-May-17 21:11:51

ShowOfHands I have a unicycle and a scooter and don't care if I look ridiculous.
I really want to try a unicycle, AIBU to want this at my age, I am 70?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now