We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to waft the fire towards him in future?

(10 Posts)
andpropersteel Sun 30-Apr-17 14:51:04

We have quite a large garden (long and thin) but the previous owner let the place go to ruin so we've been working hard at making it nice again.

Once every 6 months we burn brambles we've cut back in a little incinerator to stop them springing up again. Last time it was on bonfire night, then today.

Both times the adjacent neighbour had come out for a cigarette and started shouting "who the fuck is having a fire?" etc matching back into the house to call his wife out to tell her "some twats having a fucking fire"

I've never seen them, and they ironically only use their garden for smoking cigarettes/weed, and barbecues. Our fire lasts maybe 30 mins and we check that no one has their washing out or is sat in their garden first, it's the least offensive place for it to go too as the wind tends to carry any smoke over the fields opposite.

Backstory: It's got to the point where we just avoid using that bit of garden sad They play blaring loud music all day and put the dog out to woof on it's own (that's another shouty thing "stop fucking barking" then the two of them complain loudly and passive aggressively about people winding the dog up by being in their gardens...).

AIBU to be pissed off about this? I wouldn't mind if they just asked us nicely if it really is a problem, it's the whole PA attitude that irks me.

Should I just start burning stuff for fun and waft it towards their house? grin Maybe some tyres, toxic fumes for a toxic bastard.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 30-Apr-17 14:53:03

Fire with garden speakers blaring out un neighbour friendly tunes. .
Maybe some Russel Watson?
Three Tenors?
Guessing it won't be their cup of tea?

user1488721675 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:58:47

Just ignore. If they're not brave enough to ask you not to start fires to your face then the comments are void & irrelevant.

PutTheBunnyBackInTheBox Sun 30-Apr-17 15:10:25

Have you thought about going round and asking him if he minds you burning brambles for 30 MINUTES, TWICE a year? If he can be PA so can you grin

ooerrmissus Sun 30-Apr-17 15:13:32

Liking the idea of blasting some music at them. Maybe Disco inferno? Relight my fire by Take That? Or Fire by The Strange World of Arthur Brown?

justkeepswimmingg Sun 30-Apr-17 15:18:43

Maybe make a point of shouting out to your DH 'some twats smoking a fucking joint out here', next time he sparks upon. Idiots. They can't even confront you with their problem! People have bonfires, and it's something you need to deal with from time to time. Smoking weed for all the neighbours to smell - hell no - It's not legal to even smoke it in your own home. Don't let them intimidate you, it's your garden and you're being considerate to your neighbours by checking they don't have washing out. Fan it in his direction next time smile

Oldraver Sun 30-Apr-17 15:22:41

Next time they start smoking weed, go out and start breathing in dramtically, start giggling like an imbecile and shout FREE WEED....

andpropersteel Sun 30-Apr-17 16:04:50

Oooh I like the idea of the fire themed playlist! wink

...And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire [wafts]

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 30-Apr-17 16:08:30

Ignore him.

You hear him when he comes into his garden for a fag then complains about smoke from your fire, so what?

Carry on and ignore him.

andpropersteel Sun 30-Apr-17 16:45:18

Mega awkward though as someone stands a few meters away talking loudly about you as though you aren't there.

On bonfire night we had my nieces and nephews (and our baby) down there to watch the little fire and do sparklers. Put a real downer on it with all the bad feeling!

I'm non-confrontational and like to think if I ignore him he'll piss off eventually (or at least he won't up the PA attitude).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now