We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travelling during Maternity Leave

(6 Posts)
SlowLifeLove Sun 30-Apr-17 13:15:12

Not sure where to post this, but I have posted here for traffic. I was wondering for those of you that travelled during your maternity leave on either short trips or longer trips, where abouts did you go please?

Please could you share you experiences as well as the destinations?

I don't know if AIBU, but I would like to get some travelling in within that year. I am pretty lucky that I will be able to do some self-employed freelance work to give me some extra pennies whilst on maternity leave, and that I live in London so have many accessible transport hubs close by.

happypoobum Sun 30-Apr-17 13:18:53

Are you talking about holidays or actual travelling? Are you single? Are you intending to take the baby with you?

I think you should wait until the baby is here ( I am guessing you are still pregnant) before planning anything.

If you are breastfeeding then babies are incredibly portable and you can go pretty much anywhere, but I don't think I would have wanted to.

I am a prolific and avid traveller but that first year after childbirth I just wanted to be wrapped up in a mummy and baby cocoon at home really. Good luck.

SlowLifeLove Sun 30-Apr-17 15:16:00

Opps, I forgot a key piece of information - with the baby. The baby would be coming.

A combination of holidays, visiting a partner abroad (where they work) and maybe travelling between two places. Nothing adventurous or 'off the beaten track', and nothing before three months of age.

I was going to wait until the baby is hear before planning anything, as you never know how things can change, and if I do change my mind, I don't want the fact that I've booked things or stated plans influencing my decision - I think that would put additional pressure on myself.

Oldraver Sun 30-Apr-17 15:19:38

Wait till the baby is here and then decide what you feel able to do..

BlueSkyBurningBright Sun 30-Apr-17 15:37:39

Friend of mine took 6 months of her mat leave and her husband took a sabbatical and they went off travelling. I think they went mainly Uk and Europe, not remote places.

My cousin also went off for 1 year around Europe with a 18 months and 3 year old. They rented a house for 6 months of it.

Just plan well and you will be fine. Sounds like a lovely idea.

Sundayspilot Sun 30-Apr-17 16:23:04

I'm currently 10 months into my maternity leave and took my son on a vacation to visit my parents when he was 7 months. My DH couldn't come so the two of us flew from Western Canada to my parents' winter home in California.

My recommendation would be to buy your baby his own ticket so he can fly in his car seat. On your lap is free but exhausting for you and less safe for baby. We hit quite a bit of turbulence and my baby slept through it. The other baby being held was bumped about and very unhappy.

I would also avoid hotels when possible and book cabins/apartment style accommodations. My DS was unsettled for the first few nights and was very noisy. I felt much less self conscious knowing we could make as much noise as we wanted, since we were in a private home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now