Talk

Advanced search

To ask to see pics of your unusual/eclectic homes with personality.

(12 Posts)
boopsy Sun 30-Apr-17 11:29:27

My house is so dull i wont post a photo. Cream walls brown carpet, brown settee, shaggy rug and mirror above fireplace. I am looking for something different but i dont know what? Please inspire me people!!!

helpimitchy Sun 30-Apr-17 12:23:47

We like cosy rooms with lots of rugs, throws etc. we have bookcases which have lots of collected bits and pieces on that we've collected.

We have pictures and wallhangings that we've made or collected over the years. I collect stuff like pebbles and sea glass when I visit the beach.

boopsy Sun 30-Apr-17 12:31:53

I love your house, looks so modern and cozy! Lots of nice things to look at x

helpimitchy Sun 30-Apr-17 12:35:14

It is a bit cluttered for some folk, but we like it grin

What sort of stuff do you like?

boopsy Sun 30-Apr-17 12:37:41

Thats the thing i dont know! Well i love girlie sort of shabby chic but oh hates it lol. If i was alone there would be fairy lights and hearts etc but he likes minimal.

helpimitchy Sun 30-Apr-17 13:22:21

Have a look on Pinterest and try to find a compromise with your dh. He can't expect you to live in a home with virtually nothing in it. You don't need to clutter it up like mine in order to stamp your personality on it.

helpimitchy Sun 30-Apr-17 13:23:35

Do you like modern or traditional?

Mcakes Sun 30-Apr-17 13:50:18

Love the pics! We have something similar going on with the relaxed and cosy look.
I grew up in a really cluttered, messy house and wanted things a lot more organised in my own home but I also like to have pretty stuff around rather than be too minimalist. My OH likes simplicity and things being kept in their place.
What really works for us is keeping the 'clutter' on the walls with lots of pictures, framed posters etc and bringing interest through pretty furniture, colourful rugs etc so it looks quite relaxed and bohemian but the surfaces and floor are generally kept pretty clear and knick knacks/dust magnets are kept to a minimum. Lots and lots of plants are always good too. Gives personality and interest but isn't 'clutter' iyswim. It is possible to have a house that feels 'full' but isn't cluttered.
Agree with the recommendation to use Pinterest to find a range of interiors you like and then use these to try to find common ground with your OH. Have fun!!

notanevilstepmother Sun 30-Apr-17 14:34:44

Teal blue is good for brightening up brown.

SimplyNigella Sun 30-Apr-17 14:41:42

I don't want to post photos as it's very outing, but our house is definiteily unusual and eclectic. It is an old cottage with lots of character and my style is dark walls with unusual home accessories and lots of flowers.

I am a big fan of Abigail Ahern and went to one of the master classes that she holds at her house. Her blog is really inspiring too if you like her style and want to move away from neutrals. blog.abigailahern.com

ChocolateSherberts2017 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:03:52

You might get more pics if you moved this to the 30 days only thread as it will disappear after a month.

Mine is a bit boring atm, wooden floors, cream walls, rugs and bookshelves. We are decluttering it to put it on sale so will have to wait to move to personalise our new space.

Bluntness100 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:13:24

I am also not posting pics of my home as it is also very outing, it's unique due to what it is.

If you like fairy lights maybe do what I do, which is I have some very tall plants, five foot odds and I wrap fairy lights round rhe central part which I switch on in the evening and gives a soft white glow.

Also have a look at the thread on what gorgeous things folks have bought for their house recently, soft furnishings, cushions, rugs, lamp shades, can make a huge difference to a room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now