Talk

Advanced search

To place a moratorium on further crises?

(9 Posts)
Spudlet Sun 30-Apr-17 07:17:13

We are not having a good week.

On Tuesday, MiL passed away. DH is bearing up well as it was not unexpected (cancer) and he feels that at least she isn't suffering any more but still. Not good.

On Friday, we got home from visiting FiL, and the kitchen was full of water from the boiler. Cue a certain amount of flapping, a lot of mopping, a hysterical overtired toddler whose bedtime was delayed and eventually, a panicstricken dh taking the executive decision to switch off the water and drain the water tanks confused. Followed by an emergency plumber call at 7am and the news that it is kaput and a new one is required shock

We then had a near miss, because the DIY genius who owned this house before us had simply sawn off the overflow pipe to the downstairs loo, so it empties all
over the floor (why? Why?) and when the water came back on the cistern did indeed overflow. The washing up bowl which we have as a failsafe was full to the very brim but had just saved the day!

So. I think these two plus a near miss, plus me with a hefty head cold, a teething toddler and DH with stress hives are quite enough crises for one household. DH argues that technically we have had one tragedy and one crisis so we can probably fit at least one more crisis in.

Who IBU?

I hope it goes without saying that this is lighthearted as that's what keeping us chugging on through this...

LedaP Sun 30-Apr-17 07:23:43

Oh bless you.

I remember coming home from my aunties funeral and the boiler had pissed everywhere. We got an emergency plumber out. Stayed up til about 1am while it was fixed. We then dragged ourselves to bed to realise the cat had pissed and shit all over the duvet and we didnt have a spare. We had to do a 70 mile round trip to the nearest 24 hour supermarket to get a new one and bedding.

I remember declaring that 'nothing else shitty is allowed to happen for at least 6 months.....i wont allow it'....i am just not having it. grin

I think dh thought i was having a breakdown.

Theworldisfullofidiots Sun 30-Apr-17 07:25:45

Oh dear, for what it's worth you've had your 3. (we're quite superstitious about these things and believe they come in threes....hmm)

Spudlet Sun 30-Apr-17 07:26:01

Fucking boilers! They know And they are out to get us [looks suspiciously at immersion heater] hmm

If the dog does anything like your cat did, I may have to murder him, or at least shout a lot and have a cry.

MollyHuaCha Sun 30-Apr-17 07:35:49

Sorry you have had such a bad week. Sounds like you are doing really well, just dealing with things as they arise. Look after yourselves flowers

LedaP Sun 30-Apr-17 07:37:23

spud murder was a tempting option.....i went doen the crying route though.

And yes boilers are out to get us. They know we need them, know how much damage the water can do. Arrogant fuckers. grin

Armadillostoes Sun 30-Apr-17 07:40:24

Sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time Spudlet. Boilers are evil; I have a sadistic one (which the landlord won't replace) and some of the radiators are in league with it. I was working from home for 5 days in January and it decided to die.

I know that when really big things go wrong, boiler dramas etc are magnified. I hope that things look up for you soon!

Theworldisfullofidiots Sun 30-Apr-17 07:43:21

When my ddad died, another 8 family members died that year (tbf my aunts and uncles were the same age as other people's grandparents, though there were a couple of younger people) When we got to number 8 we kept eyeing each other suspiciously.

Spudlet Sun 30-Apr-17 08:00:01

theworldisfullofidiots What a year! I'm so sorry flowers

I used to work for a charity that derived a large chunk of its income from gifts in wills. Every time the finance director talked about how good a year we were having for that, eyebrows were raised... confusedgrin

MiL was like the little engine - she just chugged on through everything. Chemo, lymphodema, the lot. So in her honour, we are doing the same. Chug chug chug 🚂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now