Talk

Advanced search

To give 3 yo pocket money?

(14 Posts)
Jumpsterrr Sat 29-Apr-17 22:53:59

3 yo just started nursery and if he gets X amount of stars he gets his 50p and he enjoys saving for a toy, it stops the tantrums every time I say he can't have a toy when we go shopping as he knows he needs to keep being good and saving his money. It's not so bad is it?

HeyCat Sat 29-Apr-17 22:58:48

Who says it's bad? Sounds like you're happy with it so not sure what the issue is.

Jumpsterrr Sat 29-Apr-17 23:03:50

His dad!

TheStoic Sat 29-Apr-17 23:04:31

What's his problem with it?

BzyB Sat 29-Apr-17 23:15:30

I take a photo of my dd with the toy she wants and say I'm adding it to her birthday list.
Not sure a three year old really "gets" money though, do they?

What's his dad's suggestion? Maybe theres something you can agree on together?

BackforGood Sat 29-Apr-17 23:20:09

Seems a bit daft to me to give pocket money to a child too young to understand the value of coins / to do the maths about how long to save / etc. However YANBU, if it makes you happy. Don't really see why it would upset anyone else.

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 29-Apr-17 23:22:32

You're teaching your DC delayed gratification - he can either spend the 50p on a small toy now, or wait and save up for a bigger one later.

Delayed gratification and self-control - which can be taught - are one of the better predictors of future success in life jamesclear.com/delayed-gratification

Personally I'd say this was rather good.

Wolfiefan Sat 29-Apr-17 23:25:20

Bribing him for good behaviour? I wouldn't.
It sets a precedent.

User2468 Sat 29-Apr-17 23:31:14

We discussed this earlier today, as DH had a similar system as a child. We plan to introduce something like this for DS although he's only 2.5 but I'm sure I could do an infographic to help him visualise it.

We'll probably go for 20p though and maybe only a couple of 'chores' to start with, you're never too young to work hard and he's got a 'Hot Wheels' addiction to pay for!

User2468 Sat 29-Apr-17 23:31:42

ETA: Ours would be for chores, not behaviour.

User2468 Sat 29-Apr-17 23:32:04

Also, great link rightsaidfrederickII that's a very interesting website

UppityHumpty Sun 30-Apr-17 00:17:12

You're doing well. Keep it up. This is how I started to teach my dd about the value of money - it has to start young!

wheresthel1ght Sun 30-Apr-17 00:24:03

I agree that you are setting yourself using behaviour as the measure but in principal of pocket money I agree.

My dd is 3 and gets £1 pocket money per week and can earn extra by helping with jobs same as herbal brother and sister do. So if she helps set and clear the table, helps with the dishwasher, shopping etc she gets extra.

She doesn't understand the value of money but she does understand that if she wants something she has to save up.

Lonelymummyof1 Sun 30-Apr-17 17:51:52

We do similar my daughter who is 3 loves to shop !
Knows how money works although not the value.
If she is good all week, lets the doctors do what they need to do ( she is sick ) and behaves she gets 20.00 to go shopping.
She will normally pick a dress over a toy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now