Talk

Advanced search

Sofa so not so good....ScS WWYD

(16 Posts)
putonyourdancingshoes Sat 29-Apr-17 18:39:14

Ordered a new sofa from ScS on the 11th Feb with a delivery time of 7 weeks. It was due to arrive today. At 2pm delivery men brought up one half of the corner couch and unwrapped it.

They then informed me that one of the feet had fallen off but they could fix this but also that another was broken. The second one however couldn't be repaired by them as the wooden frame inside the upholstery had snapped.

They explained that in situations where goods are damaged they could order upholsterers in to repair the sofa once delivered however they advised me against accepting the order as they didn't think it would be structurally sound to sit on (in addition to the less ideal situation of having a new sofa that was damaged!)

They told me that their customer services were closed to due to the bank holiday and wouldn't be open until Tuesday. I spoke to the shop that I ordered from and she stated that as I refused the order I would need to wait another 7 weeks for it to come.

I'm paying by finance so I haven't actually paid any money towards it yet but what would you do in this situation?

Cancel the order? Suck it up wait?
Do I have reasonable grounds for compensation?

Pommes Sat 29-Apr-17 18:41:23

Order a new sofa from SofaSofa.

Pretty much online only, but great guarantees due to this...

Trb17 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:04:02

Tell them you either want compensation for the trouble and extra time or you'll cancel and order from elsewhere. Many don't have 7 weeks turnaround now so you might get it sooner from somewhere else.

19lottie82 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:24:53

Another vote for Sofa Sofa. Great quality and great prices.

MatildaTheCat Sat 29-Apr-17 19:27:36

Cancel,they sound crap. I got a great sofa from Made.com recently.

thewavesofthesea Sat 29-Apr-17 19:33:51

Had a crap sofa from SCS; I would cancel. Recommend Sofology too

ellanutella8 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:36:19

Had a terrible time with ScS regarding a carpet and the only compensation that I got was a free rug.

I'd ask for a new sofa but be prepared for a wait. Or cancel and go elsewhere.

donquixotedelamancha Sat 29-Apr-17 21:53:27

This sounds like pretty normal service for SCS. I've never bought from them but surely you must have read/watched the constant stream of complaints on every consumer rights programme and column? A bit of googling might make your mind up.

Either cancel (double check contract terms) or ask for a good discount and a tight delivery time. Do everything in writing- do not rely on info over the phone.

elevenclips Sat 29-Apr-17 21:58:42

Cancel and go to Ikea.
I have no idea why anyone would get furniture from anywhere other than Ikea, ever.
No 7 week delivery crap. You get the sofa the same day!

Mooey89 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:01:45

Oh god. We're waiting on a new sofa from them!

MuncheysMummy Sat 29-Apr-17 22:05:40

I have literally never found even one sofa I'd buy from Ikea sadly!

zaalitje Sat 29-Apr-17 22:09:36

Try nabru they were brilliant and not expensive either

Twopeapods Sat 29-Apr-17 22:13:48

We had a terrible time with SCS. Sofa was faulty with a seam bursting, it was getting worse but thankfully we had taken the insurance. Except they decided we had burst the seam and wouldn't fix it. A complete waste of £300 on a two year policy. Also ordered carpets at the same time for our whole new build house, and one year down the line every single one has separated from the metal strips.
I will never go back and do not recommend.

TattiePants Sat 29-Apr-17 22:47:39

You did the right thing in refusing delivery as customer services may well have offered to send an upholsterer in the first instance and I would agree that a damaged frame would never be as strong. SCS don't manufacture sofas themselves so they are buying them in from a supplier and with the exception of a few select models, they don't hold stocks, so the lead time for a replacement is likely to be another 7 weeks.

If you love the sofa you have ordered then it is worth asking for a discount, they are not likely to offer you a lot but it's worth asking. Also, have a look at the price of the sofa this weekend as there will be Bank Holiday reductions so if it has gone down in price they should honour that. If you don't have a sofa to currently sit on they do also have sofas that they can loan you. As I'm sure you will be aware, they have to actually deliver the sofa for the finance payments to begin so you are not losing out.

Alternatively, you would be within your rights to cancel the order and look elsewhere. SCS do get some bad press but to be honest they are no worse that DFS, Sofology etc. They are more expensive but both my sofas are from Sofa Workshop and I can't fault them.

mumtomaxwell Sat 29-Apr-17 23:02:09

Another vote for sofasofa here! My first one from them was awesome and lasted 12 years! The two I've got now I have been less impressed with, but when I complained they took both sofas back (separately so we'd always have somewhere to sit!) and fixed the problems without question.

Pettywoman Sat 29-Apr-17 23:32:29

Sofa Sofa are excellent. I've had two sofas from them, DM's had one and both my brothers have. Brilliant, reasonable prices and last for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now