Talk

Advanced search

To think sometimes yelling is not necessary

(12 Posts)
youarenotkiddingme Sat 29-Apr-17 18:20:46

My DS(12) has ASD. He is very anxious and struggles socially. Recently he's found a nice group of 8-11yo boys in our street to play with and play scooters and nerf guns. He plays in the park directly opposite our house and I can see him from window.

The boys (5 of them) were playing nerf guns - no one else was in the park. A few girls arrived with their parents and one accidentally got hit by a dart. It was my DS and his friends back this up.
This happened as they entered the park.

One of the ladies went right up to my DS and screamed in his face. The girls stood there laughing shock

Now DS is too anxious to go into the park.

Now I get they need to be careful and I've told my DS that they shouldn't have the darts when other people are in the park but currently they are making all the children feel uncomfortable.

The family don't even live on the street and have come from elsewhere!

AIBU to think you don't just turn up and scream at a child for an accident and that she should have just politely asked them to stop?

WorraLiberty Sat 29-Apr-17 18:26:18

She shouldn't have screamed at him so YANBU

What does not living on the street have to do with using the park?

Trifleorbust Sat 29-Apr-17 18:29:23

What is the nature of the dart and how badly was the girl hurt by it? To be honest if someone shot my DD I would probably lose my shit.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 29-Apr-17 18:32:04

It's a very out of the way place to visit! There are 2 local parks with huge green spaces and decent equipment - this one is just small with very little and services the houses!

And my OP should read it wasn't DS - and his friends confirm this

youarenotkiddingme Sat 29-Apr-17 18:33:21

They are polystyrene!

The girl wasn't shot at - she ran into the park from the street right into the middle of their game! They weren't where the equipment was but in a corner in by the bushes.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 29-Apr-17 18:33:54

Oh and I don't think she was hurt - she was stood laughing at her Mum screaming in DS face angry

WonkoTheSane42 Sat 29-Apr-17 18:36:24

What is the nature of the dart and how badly was the girl hurt by it? To be honest if someone shot my DD I would probably lose my shit.

Nerf guns use foam ammo that literally couldn't hurt a fly. You sound like a treat.

WorraLiberty Sat 29-Apr-17 18:47:54

Again though, what does visiting an out of the way park and not living in the street have to do with it? confused

youarenotkiddingme Sat 29-Apr-17 18:50:58

Nothing really worra!
Was more just thinking out loud that they don't know the kids and that they play nerf guns all the time. And I guess because those that live here know my ds is autistic and so are aware of what will cause him upset and will either speak to him in a way he understands or tell me. But I get it's a separate issue to whether shouting at a kid for an accident not always being necessary.

Trifleorbust Sat 29-Apr-17 19:04:26

WonkoTheSane42:

Why, because I don't want my daughter to get shot by someone who should be taking more care where they are firing their dart? I think that is pretty normal. Obviously if a nerf dart couldn't hurt anyone then I wouldn't be angry but I didn't know what one was. It could have been a BB gun style thread.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 29-Apr-17 19:22:27

Trifle that's understandable - and I wouldn't let ds play in public with something that could hurt someone! And the girl ran through their game rather than the lad who shot her (which wasn't ds!) aiming it towards her iyswim?

Trifleorbust Sat 29-Apr-17 19:40:25

Fair enough, OP. If the darts are harmless then she shouldn't be shouting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: